• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1971 911 T for sale on carsales

Hi all

Has anyone inspected this car?

Cheers
    Adam

It has popped up a couple of times before...

Although on the face of it, an Aussie delivered RHD in a nice colour for $40k seems good; there is no such thing as 'minor rust' on these cars, the engine is wrong, the flares need to be sorted (they're uber ugly). However just like buying a fixerup house, there is probably the base of nice car there...

For me it would have to come down to the purchase price. At $30-35k maybe...
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Wrong engine with CIS so no "matching numbers" there. Still has 901 g'box which may be strained running a 2.7 thru it (??).

Good luck finding the indicator assembly as many of these broke and replacements are hard to find.

Seems like good quality early 911's are really drying up now.
      Last edited by Terminator; 29-10-13, 04:56 PM.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
        Wrong engine with CIS so no "matching numbers" there. Still has 901 g'box which may be strained running a 2.7 thru it (??).

Good luck finding the indicator assembly as many of these broke and replacements are hard to find.

Seems like we are starting to scrape the lower ends of the barrel now with good quality early 911's really drying up now.

Look like this seller is a little offended?

"This is 50th anniversary of the 911,This was,at this posting,the cheapest Aussie car for sale.I see some disparaging remarks on a Porsche forum,re mine,the next Aussie car advertised(that I can find of any type,apart from really moded ones,actually) is $85K matching No's.go and buy it!"

Last edited by KDF; 30-10-13, 10:18 AM.

Comment

It's unfortunate he's offended, it's certainly not my intent. If I was in the market, I'd definitely go and have a look. Given it's roughly local to me, if any of you do want it looked at - let me know.

I actually agree with the owner that it's a good car - if it is complete. Going by the photos there is still quite a lot of expensive work to get done IF you're looking to get the car back to an original condition. The engine, parts of the interior and bodywork need to be attended to.

If you're after a hotrod - this could be a good candidate. But I stand by my comment that there is no minor rust in these cars... If you can see rust, there is worse rust where you can't see. Hence my comment about factoring repairs into the purchase price.
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

i think a lot of cars get caned on forums (not necessarily just this one), where they actually represent reasonable value to get into the marque...

answer this question for me:
            1. you have a budget of $40k
            2. you want to get into early p-cars
            3. you have realistic expectations on what that means for your future cashflow to make the car 'right' for you
            What car would you buy that is on the market at the moment?

BTW, i was told to pass on my car numerous times... and yes it took a few years/$$$ to get it to where i am now... the alternative in hind sight, would to have been porsche-less until now, and buy something already done.
            how much fun would I have missed out on over the last 6 years!?!?!?!?!?!?
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

really didn't mean for my last post to kill the conversation...

BTW, on Phil's comment on the 901 box with 2.7... my car has 2.8 with a 901 box and it seems to be holding up fine.
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Sorry to scare you Rich. Just thought the reason Porsche introduced the 915 box was because of the larger motors they were bringing in with more HP.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                  Sorry to scare you Rich. Just thought the reason Porsche introduced the 915 box was because of the larger motors they were bringing in with more HP.

not in the least bit scared. was one of the things i talked to people with lots of experience about before buying the car (eg Lisa)... consensus seemed to be that a 901 box with 2.7/2.8 will be fine as long as you don't go dumping the clutch off the lights...
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by KDF View Post
                    Look like this seller is a little offended? :p

"This is 50th anniversary of the 911,This was,at this posting,the cheapest Aussie car for sale.I see some disparaging remarks on a Porsche forum,re mine,the next Aussie car advertised(that I can find of any type,apart from really moded ones,actually) is $85K matching No's.go and buy it!"
                    Hello,Simon here,Just to re-register for this forum was a trial,it took about 8 goes due to you/it/the forum/site,still having old information from when I first bought this car and joined in'06.

I was approached by a member,privately through my advert,that your noses had been put out of joint re these remarks.
                    I will remove them,as part of the conditions of my re-joining which,as I'm sure you'll all appreciate was done for this specific reason.

My remarks come on the back of a number of,what I see as hypocitical statements/posts and adverts.
                    There are a number of cars that have been put up in the very recent 9 days,3 of which are on this forum.
                    All have been either heavily modded/converted/imported RHD or all 3.
                    In fact when looking,I'm confident I saw a post re Phil's SWB,that said something like "pity it's not an Aussie car",that post has now been deleted.

Folks cannot say,in this day and age,derogatory remarks and expect people who are trying to sell,on the same medium,to turn a blind eye.
                    My car is an excellent basis for any type of resto but would be more beneficial as a competition derivative of the period due to:no history,except the Aussie del,2.7 and crappy rear flares.
                    It is attractive for that resto for:it already has a 2.7,recaro's,S dash(whatever that means),Fuch and a rare colour.
                    The g/box,for THAT arguement/discussion,was rebuilt by Ian Hamilton,now living in Cairns.The front brakes were recond up on my purchase 'cos they were 'wooden'
                    I'm more than happy to discuss my points of view and I should think,given my above remarks,that this thread may liven up somewhat.

Simon Klein.

Comment

Good for you Simon. It's great you're here and get to have a say.

However, in this day and age of electronic 'immediacy' you'll have to expect it. Car guys have always 'tyre kicked' and nothing has changed. When you put a car up for assessment on the open market, it will be critiqued. It's just that these days with the internet it's instant and global.

I'm selling our family home at the moment, and I've lost count of the open houses and people having a poke through the place out of curiosity. Their comments (disparaging or otherwise) do in essence help me determine the right price.

As I wrote originally; my comments were not intended to offend you, but one of the purpose of this board is to assist members with purchasing (as well as selling), so when someone asks about a car, experienced people will pipe up.

My car was in very similar condition to yours some years ago (albeit with the correct engine). One of the most amazing discoveries I made when restoring was just where the rust in these cars can manage to creep... That is the number one thing your car will be assessed against, as it is easily the most difficult and expensive aspect to fixing/restoring these cars. And it must be done if you expect to keep the car...

All the best with the sale, and as I've said to the interstaters here I'm happy to have an objective look on their/you behalf if it helps.
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by SimonKlein View Post
                        Hello,Simon here,Just to re-register for this forum was a trial,it took about 8 goes due to you/it/the forum/site,still having old information from when I first bought this car and joined in'06.

I was approached by a member,privately through my advert,that your noses had been put out of joint re these remarks.
                        I will remove them,as part of the conditions of my re-joining which,as I'm sure you'll all appreciate was done for this specific reason.

My remarks come on the back of a number of,what I see as hypocitical statements/posts and adverts.
                        There are a number of cars that have been put up in the very recent 9 days,3 of which are on this forum.
                        All have been either heavily modded/converted/imported RHD or all 3.
                        In fact when looking,I'm confident I saw a post re Phil's SWB,that said something like "pity it's not an Aussie car",that post has now been deleted.

Folks cannot say,in this day and age,derogatory remarks and expect people who are trying to sell,on the same medium,to turn a blind eye.
                        My car is an excellent basis for any type of resto but would be more beneficial as a competition derivative of the period due to:no history,except the Aussie del,2.7 and crappy rear flares.
                        It is attractive for that resto for:it already has a 2.7,recaro's,S dash(whatever that means),Fuch and a rare colour.
                        The g/box,for THAT arguement/discussion,was rebuilt by Ian Hamilton,now living in Cairns.The front brakes were recond up on my purchase 'cos they were 'wooden'
                        I'm more than happy to discuss my points of view and I should think,given my above remarks,that this thread may liven up somewhat.

Simon Klein.
                        Hi Simon

I don't believe anyone who is an executive of this Club had their noses out of joint re your car sales advert, this forum wan't even mentioned in your ad, and in any event if it was you were just reporting the facts as you saw them at the time, so no issues there.

As President I am unaware of any such issue as no one has contacted me and I don't have any issue with what you wrote.

I was however alerted to this thread as an administrator of this site.

I did modify, not delete Phils post, where he talked about "scraping the bottom of the barrel", I know what he was trying to say but he perhaps didn't express it as well as he might have, so I modified it. Phil probably doesn't agree with my assessment but I get the big bucks to be the administrator and final umpire.

We should and will make comment on 911 and other related cars for sale on this site, thats what happens on this style of medium, world wide, and its one of the reasons a site like this exists to share information and views.

I do agree with you that it should happen without being derogatory or distorting the facts and hence why there is an administrator in the first case, to keep things on track.

Certainly you have a right of reply to any comments as a member (welcome back) and you have taken that opportunity and hope you continue to do so.

Good luck with the sale.
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
                          not in the least bit scared. was one of the things i talked to people with lots of experience about before buying the car (eg Lisa)... consensus seemed to be that a 901 box with 2.7/2.8 will be fine as long as you don't go dumping the clutch off the lights...
                          Hi all,

I found following information on a German site:

Porsche 901, 911, 914 .........max.270Nm

Porsche 915...... ..................easy 300Nm

Porsche G50/03....................320 Nm

Don't know where they pulled that from and if it has any truth towards it.

It is possibly safe to assume that, to a degree, a later box is always good for more horsepower/torque.

I think I read somewhere that Porsche (and VW in the Beetle/Kombi)in the early days used to build in huge margins for power as they didn't want to redesign for bigger capacity engines down the line.
                          Beetle/Kombi boxes are said to handle up to 200hp with no major problems!

Comment

Hey Simon,
                            fair cop...... but unfortunately this is the nature of forums.
                            They are just peoples opinions. Good luck with your sale, I think it is priced about right FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                              Hey Simon,
                              fair cop...... but unfortunately this is the nature of forums.
                              They are just peoples opinions. Good luck with your sale, I think it is priced about right FWIW.
                              Thanx,Chris,
                              My main issue with the critisisms re my car,and I don't mind if ALL the original bits were put back in(it WOULD make more sense for a newbie on this thread to see it unmolested),is that the folk who threw in at the beginning are,it seems,driving/selling/whatever,quite a few non-Aussie delivered cars.
                              When looking to purchase back in '06,I was only ever interested in an Aussie car.
                              I'm quite voluble in another car forum where being an Aussie car holds a great deal(for the older of the marque and all with carbys)more weight than the equivelant L to RHD,LHD,import RHD model for model,of course.
                              As an example,a mate put his,same as my car,Aussie but colour-changed on C/sales...it lasted a week.Another mate still has his LHD(same,same) brought from Zimbabwe(where he escaped with his life AND most of his collection),for sale after about 5 months' at $25K less...he's had minimal enquiries.
                              I'm interested if the similar 'pecking order' is prevelant here,or rather,in the marketplace.
                              Obviously I have my own interest's at heart here,and don't feel my car is overpriced.......where is/what was the last,cheapest Aussie car (similar cond)sold for?
                              As is in my advert,the next Aussie car I have found in the open market is a brown(can't remember the type)matching No's car.

Simon.

Comment

Working...
                              X