carsales - '69 S targa (sort of) for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carsales - '69 S targa (sort of) for sale

Just wondering at what point does an S stop being an S?

Mark Munro
    '69 911T (sold)
    '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
    '69 MG Midget Group S car
    TYP901 Register #196

Probably a nice car...

If you could track down a correct series S engine, you could call it a real S even with the steering conversion - it would always sell at a discount though. But the buy-in price seems little optimistic given that potential buyers know what they're looking at these days and won't be suckered by the S badge alone... An orphan 69S engine and gearbox (if you can find them) will be upwards of $25k. If the E engine and box are nice you'll get $10-12k back.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
      Probably a nice car...
      I have no doubt about that, John. It seems that this is Peter Hardt's own ad, and as such I imagine the workmanship would be top notch!
      Mark Munro
      '69 911T (sold)
      '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
      '69 MG Midget Group S car
      TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Yeah, a definite "look at" car if you're in the market, but not really the "full" S - and I guess the price reflects that...
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

I know nothing about converting cars from LHD, but isn't that a RHD smugglers box set up? Were they different on the pre-70 cars?

If someone has welded in a new steel panel to fit the RHD smugglers box. . . it raises interesting questions because depending on what was cut where, that panel could also have the VIN number on it

Last edited by npvpositive; 18-11-13, 12:57 PM.

Comment

What you're looking at is the "correct" way to convert a 911 - all the bulkhead sheet metal is removed and replaced with correct factorty parts. Some time ago that panel was available for purchase (as was most other sheet metal), and you could have porsche stamp the chassis number into it before delivery (though most people simply "cut and shut" that small rectangle into the new piece).

The other key panel that is extremely hard to get is the proper RHD pedal sheetmetal. Incidently this is pretty much how Porsche themselves created RHD cars 'back in the day'.

It is definitley a conversion as the 69 Targa was not available to RHD markets. We didn't get targas until '72 I believe.
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

RHD Targas 73 actually and yes like my 72 T conversion the whole front should be changed if done properly and the original VIN preserved. Lost the factory stamp under the knee pad in the 72 though, as it was done before my time.

I personally saw this car a few weeks ago and talked to Peter about the car it is a very nice car, surprised he is selling.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
              X