Healey Factory cars update - new Aussie E2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Healey Factory cars update - new Aussie E2.4

I was passing there today, and had a look- the 912 has sold apparently, for close to asking price, the lhd converted '73 is still there - to my untrained eye the area containing the smugglers box doesn't have all the pressings I'd expect, and, there is (73 I think) Aussie delivery 2.4 E, with matching numbers, for sale, for $99K. I thought it was the converted car and came over all funny - to me it appears very, very good. There is one bubble in lower front corner drivers side door, and it needs few rubbers grommets, and some window seals could do with refurb, but otherwise it's condition is really delightful.
    Cheers
    Julian
    Last edited by JulianG; 13-01-14, 10:32 PM. Reason: Spelling!

You could pick up a 996 GT3 for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
      You could pick up a 996 GT3 for that money.
      NO OFFENSE, BUT YOU COULD ALSO PICK UP 3 REALLY GOOD 944 TURBOS OR 7.6 BRAND NEW MITSUBISHI MIRAGES?
      YOUR POINT BEING?

Comment

Marty, no POINT just an option as we are talking a sizable amount of money that could buy a couple of Porsches including the 944s. I do like my 1969 over some later models and I'd definitely pass on the Mirages.

Paul M

Comment

Julian, refurbished by AutoCoup has to be a plus, you'd want to view the receipts and talk to Phil Hearn there. Also check out whether the Healey Factory own the car or if it is on consignment and how this effects warranty conditions. For the price I'd want the small "issues" fixed before sale. Compare value to the sorts of cars Clyde and Phil Lack have.
          Last edited by PCM911T; 14-01-14, 06:18 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

No need to shout Marty, GT3 would be a nice alternative, I have trouble with 996 styling though, do all 996 share headlights with the boxster?

Comment

The 1970 E with books and a recent engine build, subject to more detail on body etc - what's it worth?

I drove a 996 GT3 recently, it was pretty stock. Amazing drive and a lot of car for the money, would compliment a 901 ownership if you could do it but i don't think you would compare them directly. Reliability / radiators and all that aside, the metzger engine is pretty impressive.

The 996 headlights in my view take some loving but when you are driving the pants off a GT3 you dont see them and in the context of a GT3, most others dont see them long either!! that said, a good mate told me my 993 is ugly compared to his 964 so said before all of these things are very much personal preference!

Nobody calls the 901 ugly!! Well not to my face, luckily.
              Jeff Garvey
              1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Paul et al,

Hi, I don't need another car!!! Although want is another question....

Re the price, I think all up to '73 are a bit over the top, but they've hit the sweet spot - i.e. 40-55 year olds with some dollars who remember cars from their childhood, andso prices have increased - you see it with many - 15 years ago average MK11 Jags were twice what they are now - the prices will continue to rise, but I think in the medium/longer term will come back a bit r tail off relative to other cars that become the sweet spot.

In terms of price relativity it's "only" half what the racing 911S is asking.... , and for WIW you can't compare it to a modern Porsche - apart from the mechanical layout, they don't have a lot in common in terms of size, weight, technical complexity, ultimate driving ability, ergonomics, customer profile, range of competitive events its involved in - and it's relation to a road going car, etc. etc.

I've owned a 993, and it was a cracking car.......and apart from the offset driving position and mechanical layout, it was very, very different to a pre '74 car in my opinion...

Cheers

Julian

Cheers

Julian

Comment

Julian, at least you generated some interesting discussion so thanks for that. Now how much recommissioning will your 69T take? I love mine and I reckon the 2.2 engine is the best sounding Porsche engine of all ( especially on Webers) Yes, I 'm biased and keep the DB6 if you can, Photo?please.

Cheers

Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
                    Paul et al,

Hi, I don't need another car!!! Although want is another question....

Re the price, I think all up to '73 are a bit over the top, but they've hit the sweet spot - i.e. 40-55 year olds with some dollars who remember cars from their childhood, andso prices have increased - you see it with many - 15 years ago average MK11 Jags were twice what they are now - the prices will continue to rise, but I think in the medium/longer term will come back a bit r tail off relative to other cars that become the sweet spot.

In terms of price relativity it's "only" half what the racing 911S is asking.... , and for WIW you can't compare it to a modern Porsche - apart from the mechanical layout, they don't have a lot in common in terms of size, weight, technical complexity, ultimate driving ability, ergonomics, customer profile, range of competitive events its involved in - and it's relation to a road going car, etc. etc.

I've owned a 993, and it was a cracking car.......and apart from the offset driving position and mechanical layout, it was very, very different to a pre '74 car in my opinion...

Cheers

Julian

Cheers

Julian
                    Strongly diagree.

There may be some bumps in the road but early 911's are NEVER going backwards to any degree in the future.

In my 18 years of Porsche ownership my only regret is not hanging on to all the cars I have had as I would be a millionaire 4 times over now despite going through the biggest global financial crisis since the depression.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                      Strongly diagree.

There may be some bumps in the road but early 911's are NEVER going backwards to any degree in the future.

In my 18 years of Porsche ownership my only regret is not hanging on to all the cars I have had as I would be a millionaire 4 times over now despite going through the biggest global financial crisis since the depression.
                      At the risk of drifting off topic (as usual) . . . the one unknown to me is the impact that phasing out manual transmissions will have on future values. In x years time (10?) we will have a situation where the majority of Australians can't drive stick . . . and at age 40-50 will they really want to learn just so they can own a 50-60 year old classic car?

Maybe a 993 tiptronic will suddenly become very, very desirable!!

Comment

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
                        At the risk of drifting off topic (as usual) . . . the one unknown to me is the impact that phasing out manual transmissions will have on future values. In x years time (10?) we will have a situation where the majority of Australians can't drive stick . . . and at age 40-50 will they really want to learn just so they can own a 50-60 year old classic car?

Maybe a 993 tiptronic will suddenly become very, very desirable!!
                        i would be more worried about finding the correct fuel
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Driving is a "man thing"...

In 30 years time the best cock-wave a guy will have is his ability to drive pappy's old manual vintage car

I practiced for km after km to expertly ride my late grandfathers '23 Douglas with a left "throttle" for spark advance, foot clutch and hand shift!
                          John Forcier
                          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                          Restoration Saga
                          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Hi, I apologise if I sounded offhand or offensive, that wasn't the objective!

I'll post some picks tomorrow, but it's a rolling shell with suspension and wheels waiting for a rotisserie to arrive.....can't weld! I'm stripping it, probably have it media blasted....little rust, but a fair amount of surface stuff under paint and sound deadening...and I'll start some refurb of moving bits, then try and put it back together....

All the points made will make it interesting in the years to come......and ring true to me.......how will you pull an Australian delivered Nissan R32 GTR down and rebuild it in 20 years.....with a software and hardware team?, then drive it.....will we be the old guys making "moonshine gas" in the forest for our cars?

In terms of the pricing Clyde I wasn't having a dip, simply relaying my experience.....and differing opinions are what make a market for things, and you've been around these cars a lot longer than I have. I think I should have expanded the comment to say "relative increases" after the "big" increases over the sweet spot period.....

Long live the stick!

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
                              In terms of the pricing Clyde I wasn't having a dip, simply relaying my experience.....and differing opinions are what make a market for things, and you've been around these cars a lot longer than I have.

wouldn't worry about clyde... he gets it wrong too!
                              Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                              X