FS : 1970 911 T Sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS : 1970 911 T Sleeper

Hi guys, thought I would post here as I have just listed on Carsales.com.au and I know that someone will post at some point.

Here is the full details on the car. More than happy to chat to anyone about it.

Chassis number: 9110101489
    Production number: 1003761
    Engine number: 6102804 original (6192248 engine that is in the car now)
    Original Colour: 1818 Albert Blue (now Silver)

Understated beauty. Everyday useability. Breathtaking performance. Killer good looks.
    The ultimate original RHD early 911 with sleek looks, short stroke 2670cc twin plug engine.

Up for ownership is this UK delivered 1970 Porsche 911 T, sold with the original matching number motor (removed from car and in need of a refresh).

9110101489 was originally optioned with dark blue (Albert Blue code 1818) with lots of great options including Electric Windows and ‘S’ package (this included gauges, 14 inch wheels etc).

This 911T was imported into Australia sometime early in its life. Around 2006 using genuine parts and no expense, the T morphed into an RS replica and painted silver. The car was built specifically as a tarmac rally car (eg Targa Tasmania), and as such left no stone unturned in searching for performance, and most importantly reliability and driveability. The mechanical invoices during the build and ongoing maintenance on this car are eye watering, with nothing but the best put into the mechanical and suspension set up.

I have known the previous owner and the car for many years, so I knew of its history and provenance, including the ‘no money spared’ approach to all things important with early 911s. Knowing the history of the car, and the amount of money spent on the mechanicals, I knew it was the perfect foundation for me to build my own fun road Porsche, as my early race car was no longer fit for road use. In early 2014 and I purchased with the intent to return it to road more going specifications with some understated flair.

Body
    First step was to return the body to look more standard (a ‘sleeper’ some may say). The rear ducktail was been removed, and replaced with a genuine metal flat deck lid. The front RS bumper was replaced by a fibreglass standard bumper, and the car has benefited from a full respray by a reputable Porsche repairer Chequered Flag Restorations at a cost of close to $10,000. Finally I installed new dark grey Porsche script on the side, matched with dark grey Porsche stripe on the front and rear bumpers. Upon removing the RS bumper I had to relocate the front oil cooler. Harrison RRR fitted all genuine parts, lowered the car, and gave the car a good once over.

Electrical
    Given the car had been used in tarmac rally, I had Prestige Auto Wiring return the wiring to original (where possible) and also check the entire car’s wiring for any potential hidden electrical gremlins.

Wheels
    The 911 T came with and continues to wear 7 and 8 inch Minilite wheels with dark centres and polished lips. New tyres were required and as such I have just purchased 4 brand new tyres all round.

Interior
    Inside the car I have totally removed the rally inspired interior and replaced it with genuine German Haargen carpets fitted by Gary Blackman Trimming. I also installed two new Recaro type seats. The rear half roll cage has been retained (the front half is available to the purchaser if they want it). New seat belts have been installed, and the roll cage allows for race harnesses to be fitted easily should you wish to have that extra racer look, or do a competitive track day.

Engine and Gearbox
    This 911T is being sold with two engines. The original matching number engine (removed from the car and in need of a refresh). The motor installed is where this car sets itself apart from other early 911. It is a shame it is hidden beneath the engine lid! Ask any early 911 crazed enthusiast as to what their ultimate early 911 motor would be, and generally they all unanimously say “short stroke screamer”. The engine case in this 911 is from a 1969T (the lightest case produced). The case was shuffle pinned, crack tested, and mated to custom Mahle 2.9 litre barrels and pistons and Carrillo rods. Genuine 2.8 RSR heads (these are impossible to find) and a counter balanced 911S short stroke crank shaft with Twin plug ignition and genuine 46 (yes 46 not 40) Weber carbs, you can see where this is going!

The gearbox is a 915 (originally delivered with a 901 dogleg gearbox) and also built with slightly shorter gear ratios, a Modena LSD and stronger race type clutch and lightweight fly wheel.

The exhaust is a custom exhaust produced locally here in Melbourne and adorns many early Porsche race and rally cars across Australia. They are lightweight, and produce a wonderful exhaust note, as well as improve overall performance of the engine for both horsepower and torque.

In short, this 911 T has the ultimate SHORT STROKE 911 engine build. There is a great article about short stroke motors, and this motor is the biggest you can get (2670cc) without using the larger 3.0 turbo case.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/177/articles/short-stroke-shootout?page=1

Other
    The 911 retains some of the nice upgraded components including a brake bias proportioning valve (located under the dash) and more modern Porsche Boxster front brakes. These dramatically improve braking performance. Finishing touches included installing a new Nardi steering wheel to finish off the ‘understated’ look.

Drive it daily, drive it hard, take it to an occasional track day, you choose. You will not be disappointed. The first to see and drive this great little car, I have no doubt, will buy it.

Price is $124k.

Alex Webster (car is located in Mt Eliza)
    0419 527 567
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alexwebster; 30-07-14, 05:34 PM.
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Looks great Alex. While I am not in the market I watch with great interest....

I can only imagine how much fun that car is.

Comment

Wow!
      I wonder what the lack of comments means?
      Moto

Comment

Originally posted by Motolita View Post
        Wow!
        I wonder what the lack of comments means?
        Moto
        Great description...answers a lot of the questions.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Lack of comments mean that we probably all want it but can't afford it. Nice car mate. Any videos?

Comment

cool looking car Alex... and the engine sounds like it'd be a hoot.

Good luck with the sale!

Cheers

Rich
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Thanks guys.

If I am really critical (as I know some of you here are ) the following things 'could' still be done to further improve the car.

1. Speedo is Electronic, however the mechanical drive is still under the dash ready to reconnect to the correct speedo.
              2. Gauges could do with a polish.
              3. Door jams have not been painted, and this could be done.
              4. Missing the cardboard boot liner against the fire wall (just have not got around to paying $400 for new repro one)
              5. Wheels - could looks nice on some 7 and 8 inch fuchs.
              6. 911T badge on the decklid (I have a brand new badge in the glovebox - but prefer it without)
              7. Install the Porsche script on the side (again I have the WerkCrew side decals that match the font and rear bumper stripes in grey).
              8. Dash - is not a genuine one, and could be replaced with a nicer one.

Other than that, it car is SO MUCH FUN. I drove it in to work yesterday and it is docile enough to potter in traffic. When you get a small stretch to open it up, the world becomes very rapid very quickly.

You just drive with a smile on your face basically!
              Alex Webster

Comment

Another pic that I took last night.
                Attached Files
                Alex Webster

Comment

I LOVE IT! Sadly I can't afford it, but that car is awesome. Good luck Alex

Comment

I love it too

Comment

Very nice Alex, good luck with the sale.
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke
                      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Yeah, yeah we all love it someone buy and put the rest of us out of our misery
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Hi guys, finally had a chance to take some decent photos of the beast!

A fair amount of interest, but it is still available.

Will consider selling without the hot motor - but prefer not to. Clyde, the hot motor could be great in your green car!

Alex Webster

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post

...Will consider selling without the hot motor - but prefer not to. Clyde, the hot motor could be great in your green car!

[/URL]

Damian Royce
                            TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

sale pending....
                              Alex Webster

Comment

Working...
                              X