FS- VIC Plate as resgistered on Australia's 2nd 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS- VIC Plate as resgistered on Australia's 2nd 911

I've owned for some time the plate that graced the second 911 to ever be registered in Australia, and the first 911 ever registered in Victoria, being JGL-911.

I'll let Michael Browning explain :

Alan remembers Norman Hamilton & Co’s first 911 demonstrator – very well.

“I was staying right on the old Solitude Ring circuit on the outskirts of Stuttgart and every morning I’d get up early and put in a couple of quick laps,” he recalled. “It sounded magnificent through the forest!”

Within the week he was off to Austria in the car to pick up his father, who had taken on the inaugural Qantas flight to Vienna and on the way back they stumbled across one of the original 46 Gmund-built aluminium 356 Coupes in a farmer’s yard in the German Alps.

“It was chassis No 5,” said Alan “and the farmer was looking for someone to take off his hands! We didn’t have the money there and then, but we referred him to the factory. It was one of the great lost opportunities.”

Back in Australia, the Slate Grey coupe with its chrome-plated wheels, red luggage straps and Blaupunkt ‘Vienna’ radio, was registered JGL-911 and served as the Porsche company demonstrator before being sold to a Sydney customer.

A nice '911' number, but with the added heritage and kudos of being the 1st in Vic.....

Offered here first, for $3,500.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1st; 23-10-14, 07:42 PM.

My initials are LJG..............

Comment

How about Julian Graham Loves 911 ?
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
        How about Julian Graham Loves 911 ?

Comment

nice plates, can you confirm that they are the original non reflective old school
          B & W plates ?

Comment

Working...
          X