X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Period correct" oil filters

Bought some of these

From Orange Bar Products website (www.orangebarproducts.com/filter.html):

"Documented by low mile cars, sales brochures and factory videos all 911’s (64-83) and 914-6’s (69-71) were supplied as new with a Purolator branded oil filter. Just debuted at the '14 LA Lit Show, Orange Bar Products has replicated these concours correct parts.

Both types of filter '64–71 (PC34 / 901.107.203.02) and '72-83 (PC260 / 911.107.764.00) have been reproduced mirroring NOS originals in hand. The unique red-orange tone and both types of hand drawn graphics are a perfect match.

These are fully functional filters based off of OC61 and OC54 are suited to normal everyday use just like the modern black filters that are available elsewhere. Unlike the black filters these are 100% concours correct!"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bremith; 19-11-14, 02:09 PM. Reason: Price change!

Yep but now same thing available on Sierra Madre for $15...sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Harry told me last week after Hugh and I had had bought plenty of them from Carl.

If you cut one open they are also missing the pressure valve that genuine black Porsche ones have in them not sure what that means but Porsche wouldn't put it there if it wasn't needed I guess.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Cheers Clyde.

Will file this under "seemed like a good idea at the time" (ie getting a few extra given the freight cost for a few vs a few extra).

If anyone is still interested I will do them at $20 each + post.

Comment

I have been buying the recommended Mahle one from BWA. I am led to believe they are the correct low pressure filters?

Comment

For you Merv I will even deliver for free - parked next to you today but not in my porker.

Comment

You should have dropped by ... now about that door dent ...

Happy to take one of the Purolator filters thanks Mitchell.

Keen to have a chat about your motor rebuilding experience with Don.
            Last edited by Merv; 11-11-14, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
              Cheers Clyde.

Will file this under "seemed like a good idea at the time" (ie getting a few extra given the freight cost for a few vs a few extra).

If anyone is still interested I will do them at $20 each + post.
              Yes Sierra has cut Carls lunch for sure or someone supplying Sierra has.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Or Carl was greedy ?
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Merv: not motor rebuilding, just throttle bodies and then associated retuning. Plus sorting a few other things that came out on trip up from Melbourne, not that there was anything much wrong. And a new clutch. I'm happy with Don's work and he's happy with the way it goes. The thing pulls like a train, it's genuinely quick in 2014 so I can only imagine what it must have been like in 1969.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it Mitchell. I think Sharon said she saw it at Peregian Springs shopping Centre this week

Comment

I enquired of Sierra Madre as to whether their product is the same as Orange Bar Products oil filter and received a direct "no" from Jorge.

I have asked for further elaboration (eg what filter they are 'based' on) but no response yet.

I can certainly say that the Orange Bar Products ones are Mahle filters, as you can see from the boxes in pics.

Clyde - did you cut open both the OC34 and OC260 from OBP?

Comment

No only cut open one at $60 a pop didn't feel like continuing down that pathway

The Mahle ones didn't have a the valve pretty sure at neither will Sierra ones.
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Clyde - do you recall if the one you cut open the OC34 or OC260?

Comment

...and do you still have it and the Porsche filter?

Mahle website says (for both OC61 and OC54):

"View product: OC 54 Spin-on oil filter
                            Superior filter media and its processing prevent decomposition and collapse of the filter under extreme conditions such as repeated cold start and high dirt load. Bypass and check valves assure constant oil supply at all times."

Are there 3 valves in the Porsche product?

Comment

I always told that the Mahle ones are the correct lower pressure filters (unlike a lot of modern ones that need high pressure to operate). I see that Porsche is offering the originals again. Not sure if that are Mahle based.

Check out the deal on Oil Filter at Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories

Comment

Working...
                              X