1971 Porsche 911 WIDE BODIED TARGA - gumtree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1971 Porsche 911 WIDE BODIED TARGA - gumtree

Advertised as "1971 Porsche 911 WIDE BODIED TARGA", could be an easy conversion back it's original state! Bloody ugly! Needs saving! Looking for a project like this myself, wish it was closer!

Just listed on GUMTREE, I have no connection to seller.

VIN number says its a 1971 911T, need some one to confirm this.

Find Cheap and Discounted New and Used Cars, Vans & Utes available in San Remo 3991, VIC. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.
    Attached Files

Hi Tweedle

I saw this advertised and marked as sold yesterday morning on gumtree - looks like this has been re advertised. I could have stopped by yesterday as I was heading back from Margaret River however it is a bit of a trek from Perth and have family over from the East coast for Christmas - sorry.

Cheers
    Adam

Comment

It is hideous. But I'd be interested to know if it's original RHD (maybe even AU delivered), and if that's the correct engine/#? If so, it is a prospect...
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Just spoke to gent who own's it, no history - unknown if it is a conversion or previously even be registered. He seem genuine though.

Is this jeff's barn find?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
          I'd be interested to know if it's original RHD (maybe even AU delivered)..
          Did 71 cars have the wipers falling to the left hand side?

And is that chequer plate behind those awesome rear wheel brake dust efflux vents? :p

(Almost as cool as Homer Simpson's 'speed holes')

Comment

Originally posted by tweedle View Post
            Is this jeff's barn find?
            Yes - it appears to be the same VIN, ending in 223.

Comment

Yes, this is the car I was talking about.

Ed, the owner is a very genuine guy and very likeable. He bought the car, unlicensed as a project some 18 years ago and has done nothing much with it since.
              At the time of purchase, Ed had the transmission rebuilt by a local expert plus "some engine work" although he cannot remember what it was. He believes it came to $10,000 to $12,000 nearly 20 years ago.
              The engines is set up with Webbers and starts really well. A bit rattly but that could just be lack of use over 18 years. The car seems reasonably underneath, other than the front lock box and tank support areas, which I suspect might disappear completely under blasting. The entire undercarriage is coated in a very thick tar based sealer, that appears to brush applied, so it impossibly to really know how sound it is...or not.
              The interior is complete, but shabby. The dash is correct for a 1971T with correct but rusty gauges. Seats and door cards are later 3.0 litre style.
              Complete lack of documentation, VIN or compliance plates is a concern.

Potentially a nice car if the budget is right. From my point of view, it needs a complete backdate panel set to long bonnet, complete strip down and blasting to see what's underneath, whatever remedial work is required, complete repaint and a new interior. Engine and transmission might only need a refresh.
              Too much work for a rolling restoration, even if it was not so ugly, so a full on restoration seems the only option in my view.
              He's a nice old guy just wants to sell the car without hassle and to get on with his life. His number is 0421 783175

Comment

If you could get it for 15K there "might" be some value in parting it out, hard to see it making sense otherwise? People generally only daub thick tar on an undercarriage for one reason.

Comment

I just realised it has to be a conversion as there were no RHD targas until '73.
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Has an offer from someone from Melbourne of $20,000. Probably what it worth considering it's issues.
                    Last edited by Terminator; 24-12-14, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tweedle View Post
                      Has an offer from someone from Melbourne of $20,000. Probably what it worth considering it's issues.
                      Gees $20K I hope he took it
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Jeff,

It isn't a long trip across the Nullabor. Lots of nicer cars over here for sale.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X