Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB : Pedal assembly & Sunroof wind deflector

Pedal Assembly
    My 71T was once a Reg Mort road racer and came to me with a heavily customised dual adjustable balance master cylinder set-up. Certainly not suitable for what I have in mind and certainly not original.
    Does anyone have a pedal box and assembly they could sell me? Nice ones out the UK or US all require core exchange, which I don't have.

Sunroof bits including wind deflector
    I'm hoping someone has done a sunroof delete and has the pop up wind deflector bits lying around. Any deflector parts, springs and cables would be really helpful.

Can anyone help?

RHD set ups are a fair bit more complicated than LHD and quite hard to source. Most have been bought up for conversions...

The dual system is actually probably quite okay once set up (and you won't see it). If my race car was a RHD I'd probably swap you - but you'd need to source the extra actuating rods (that run across the the foot well), brackets, spacers and bushes.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Pop up wind deflector parts are very hard to get, this is probably the best option, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golde-Sunroo...ebcebf&vxp=mtr
      Cables etc. are readily available

Comment

I thought I saw one on the Early S FS listing recently?

Comment

Good call Merv,
          Yes they are offering one and a lovely looking one at that.

Please exclusive my ignorance, but can someone enlighten me to the differences between the RHD and LHD pedal assembly and if it is possible to use or modify a LHD box in a RJD car?

Comment

John F is your best guide here, or Phil L. However, a key aspect would seem to be the throttle lever routing through the tunnel (on LDH) and the one on the Early S site shows a modified shaft that they used.

See also: http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/dia...diagramID=1637

Further, the standard angle on the accelerator pedal is about 20 degrees off vertical and I think that it would then hit the wheel well panel. I would not be hard to modify the pedal base for that I suspect.

Comment

Jeff, the pedal box and geometry of the clutch and brake is the same for LHD and RHD, accelerator angles are a little different with most people noting that the LHD "feels" better (which is logical as that is how the original design was set up).

When Porsche first decided to build the RHD 911 they simply took partially completed LHD cars off the line and modified them. The right side floor is cut and gets a RHD specific panel welded in which accepts the pedal box - however all the actuating mechanisms are still located in the left foot well and centre tunnel, so the RHD pedal box has 2 transmission shafts that exit and cross from right to left and actuate the original clutch and accelerator bell cranks. The brake master cylinder operates as normal with the addition of two extended fluid tubes running from the original left side reservoir and across to the right side.

To modify a LHD pedal box for RHD, it must be completely disassembled and the additional rods located and added, and some LHD spacers and bushes removed. You also need to locate the bespoke RHD console that bolts into the left foot well and receives the transmission shafts.

A lot of people (justifiably) get hung up over the steering wheel conversion... for me it's pedal conversion that lets a lot of cars down as many converters were too cheap to source the correct RHD foot panel and butchered up the right foot well. For me when I look at a car and check for steering conversions, I go straight to the pedals - it was where the cheap-arse converters took the most short cuts.
              Last edited by Fishcop; 12-01-15, 12:26 PM.
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Yeah, what Fishy said !
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Yeah!

Comment

Thanks so much for the excellent advice.
                    From the sounds of it, my best bet seems to be to buy a rebuilt LHD unit from Sierra Madre and see if I can resurrect the clutch and accelerator linkages and rods to the tunnel that Reg had used on the RHD race car. I think most of it is there.
                    I'll have to check tonight.

Comment

Sunroof Hine

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                      Pop up wind deflector parts are very hard to get, this is probably the best option, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golde-Sunroo...ebcebf&vxp=mtr
                      Cables etc. are readily available
                      Hi all

My car has a sunroof and the smaller of the two deflectors has a broken hinge - does anyone have one spare ?

Thanks
                      Adam

Comment

Sunroof parts for sale on 911S Registry this morning.

Comment

This thread plus some others from Jeff, is a good example to prospective buyers of why a car that is "substantially all there" is worth the money so you avoid this long process of trying to find hard to get parts to get it back to original.

What might appear to be a seemingly easy task to find standard bits for an old 911, now becomes a real headache.

NLA is not what you want to hear when you call up the Porsche Parts Dept.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                          Early 911-S Registry # 690
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Phil is correct naturally, but there is huge pleasure, possibly masochistic, in bringing a car back from scratch that you cannot possibly get from buying someone elses project.
                            I suspect it all comes back to why any of us are prepared to spend so much money and time re-birthing a 45 year old car. Its certainly not speed, comfort, safety, economy or capacity. If we were looking for means of transport in the modern world, no logical person would elect to drive a 45 year car.

So we are doing this for very non-logical reasons. Perhaps the logic that Phil refers to may be correct, but not what drives us.

Comment

Working...
                            X