Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new IB owner

Hello everyone

Its been a while. Here is an overview of my air cooled 911 hunt.

I have been a member here for a while as some of you may know & have PM’d a few of you in my search for a good car. Additionally there have been many conversations with Porsche mechanics, members of other forums etc etc.

The decision to look for an air cooled 911 came about by accident really while watching “The Bridge” and thinking that Saga chick is sort of hot - in a cold robotic kind of a way. Then I saw the 911 & realised how wrong I had got it. So I looked around the car sites & thought, these cars are beautiful, cool (to me) classics, and will probably hold station price wise. This is where I started to research the cars a little & came to the conclusion that I could probably get into a G50 3.2 for around $40-45k for a good car. From memory there were plenty around by today’s standard, also several backdates to choose from which I liked but were always too much.

I have looked at several cars over the last couple of years; some in person and others via email & photos. Couple of crackers, & some dogs. There have been cars that were lost in “battle” to others. Lots of stories of things uncovered, with some still out there.

Funny thing is that the first car I was interested in, probably 3 years or so ago was the one I should have and could have bought. This was at the point where there was no real desperation in the market to get A/C 911s & they were just old second hand cars (so to speak). The car in question was a 1989 3.2 Carrera, the owner an absolute gent, we agreed a price subject to PPI, went to PPI & I chipped the price a little more, seller declined & I lost the purchase. Dumb move. Apologies to the seller. Today that car would sell for double what we originally agreed. How things have changed!

Finally a car has been found & purchased, a month later it arrived on Thursday. What did I buy?
    I bought Chris Fryer’s (9er) 1977 Carrera 3.0.
    What a car, I almost soiled myself when I first saw & heard it (purchased sight unseen).
    Chris was very helpful with the process, I had been on at Chris to sell the C3 for nearly a year & it came off in the end, it did get a bit stressful at times due to distance.

I did the usual, and thoroughly cleaned the car, fixed on the rego plates, filled up with fuel & came back home to get more familiar with things, gave myself a couple of high fives & back slaps.

Next day, ready to take this bad boy for a run. Err no, won’t start. Some issue with the immobilizer. Re-read Chris’s instructions time & again. It refuses to turnover. Spoke to Don Munro who had done some work preparing the car for me prior to delivery, still no resolution. Texts to Chris tried all sorts of things, still nothing. Tried another battery … nothing. Visually checked all fuses … non blown. I had however noticed that the interior lights & clock were not working, Don confirmed that these were all good when he finished the car. Finally I re-checked the fuses and found that the light/clock fuse looked like it was in place, but, it was actually out of position & not locked in properly.

Miracle, LED immobilizer light now on, interior lights & clock working (how the hell does that fuse make the immobilizer do that?). Switch off the immobilizer, turn the key, fires angrily into life, brilliant.

Have now been on a couple of blasts. All the work Mark Poole has done with the engine is outstanding (read, 3.2 short stroke, webers, 964 grind cams) it has sooo much torque and pulls very hard, it took me by surprise just how quick it feels, suspension is firm but not harsh. The sound at full chat is fabulous it has Dansk 2i2o sports exhaust & SSI’s. Short shift is excellent but will take me some time to get used to.

Chris has done a lovely job on the interior it even has a new car smell (with a hint of oil), front Recaro Sports Seats fully refurbished and redone in top grade leather with perforated centres, new carpets, recovered original steering wheel, new leather standard type door cards. Nice place to be, can’t believe its 38 years old. Still things to do, its a 38 year old Porsche 911!

Sorry, I seem to have gone on a bit.

Thanks to a lot of you guys who offered help, drives, cars, advice & a bunch of other stuff. It makes a great forum.

Job done.

Moto (Ian)
    Attached Files

Hi Ian

Congrats! I looked through Chris's blog on the rebuild of this car a couple of weeks ago and was utterly impressed by the amount of effort that has gone into this car. Enjoy!!

Cheers
    Adam

Comment

Well bought Ian, enjoy!
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Ian

I had thought you may never get into a car at one stage.

Looks like a cracker in the pics.

I wonder where that tail came from thats on your car
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Ian, conratulations as that's a brilliant build by Chris. Would love an interior shot of the seats to see his work there.

Cheers
          Paul M

Comment

C3

Thanks boys
            It's been a while.
            Yes Clyde I think that wing may be familiar to you! Loft perhaps NOS?
            Thing is, I'm not keen & want a flat lid. Personal taste.
            I will get some more pics together soon. The seats are glorious, Paul.
            Moto (Ian)

Comment

Well done Ian. Chris, as usual, has done a great job and that motor on carbs, should go really well and be pretty low maintenance. Looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

Well done nice early 3 litre Carrera which I had the pleasure of seeing when I visited Chris early this year when I was in Adelaide at Clipsal for the V8's. Had a tour of all his cars and at that time he was getting it sorted.
                A lot of guys in the club have an IB they are great cars and make great sense with the further development that has gone into them.

Comment

While talking about early 3 litre Carrera's did any one see the Ex UK silver one that was advertised on carsales on Friday @$115K at Nurioopta SA. It was there then it was gone almost as quickly

Comment

I knew the Silver car Nev.
                    It was OK certainly not special.
                    However at the moment adding UK delivered to the description seems to add 25% to the selling price, and they sell!

Comment

From reading the ad you got the idea that it was a long way from being factory correct. If it got sold the deal was done in less than 24 hours once again.

Comment

C3

Some more pics of the interior for Paul & those of you with "Tail" envy!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have both tail and Sport Seat envy

Congrats on the purchase, Ian.
                          Damian Royce
                          TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Backfire

Another newby learning experience
                            My C3, without warning suddenly started running very rough & popping & backfiring (webers fitted). Sounded like a Subaru WRX with large exhaust very "thrummy" at low revs.

Thanks to a call to my mechanic who correctly diagnosed the fault, but my ignorance missed the vital bit of info. Also thanks to Mark Poole who was also helpful & put my mind at rest that the engine would be fine (Mark fully rebuilt this engine to 3.2 short stroke spec).

The problem was a blocked idle jet, probably some crud or other in the fuel. I did as I was told and blew out the jet through the 2 side holes not realising that the piece with the holes pulls away from the threaded section. So I put it back in still the same. I had established which cylinder was "down" so changed the plug & tested, still the same.

Googled Weber & found a page on Pelican that showed the idle jet separated & showing how it was blocked. I removed separated, blew the sh!t out re-installed see pic of offending sh!t. All fixed.

A big school boy error & now I feel a bit stupid, but C3 is back to its flying form.

Unreal that something so small can make such a big difference.

I hope this will be of assistance to someone else.

120815_0418web.jpg

Comment

Link for those interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X