Converting a convertible to a coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a convertible to a coupe.

Has anyone had any experience of, or know of a successful permanent conversion of a convertible IB to a coupe?

Perhaps this could be done by grafting on an available roof section of a coupe. Presumably it is possible because anything is possible, as they say. However, would it be reasonably simple or a time consuming and expensive job.

The resultant value may be no more than the value of the convertible before conversion or may perhaps be less given the unoriginality of the resulting coupe. But it may be worthwhile if a coupe is unavailable and there are easily procured convertibles.

Jock... Do tell more

Yes it has been done - zags I believe may have done a few reverse chops...

Comment

There is actually a factory roof that was available for this exact purpose. They do occasionally come up for sale...
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
        There is actually a factory roof that was available for this exact purpose. They do occasionally come up for sale...
        and there are factory jigs for ensuring windscreen openings are the right size etc. A good restoration shop shouldn't have significant issues with a job like this and I would expect a roof cut to be readily available as the roof area isn't prone to rust and crash damage.

Maybe worth a chat with Jason from Chequered Flag (forum sponsor) regarding likely cost.
        Jeff Eelkema
        TYP 901 #132
        S-Reg #1431
        69E (project)
        various bevel Ducatis
        60s Vespa

Comment

I'm referring to the convertible hard top. It was made of GRP but with correct glass and seals. You put it on for the winter etc...
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

The special wishes roof was steel? There is a GRP roof for sale o/s at moment for 3k

Comment

Hang about......,

Let's not get carried away......

Only 12% of G series Aus deliveries 74-89 were cabs, that's 251 cars versus over 1300 coupes and over 400 Targas.

The 911 market here is the only market in car-world where Coupes 'out value' cabs, even the roadster Benz 300SL's have corrected to be on a par with gullwing values.

Mark my words we will all look back and rue how cheap cabs once were. I drove mine to lunch in the hills today and it is a jewel, a gem of a car - and the roof remained up.

Speedsters will go - have gone - are going - stratospheric and a manual roof 204hp SC (43 sold) or a 231 hp cab (39 sold '84-5) with a properly sealing hood that doesn't leak (unlike a Speedster) has rear seats (unlike a Speedster) and is an air-cooled open car will be great property. Check what Cab 356s do in the market vs numerically more built coupes. The manual roof 911 cabs have much less to go wrong in the electric soft top mechanism- and only early cars were manual roofs.

I've got a coupe; and an air cooled cab, purring away behind my ears to me was a sound, logical and enjoyable choice. I think I've got the ideal pair.

Magnus will start buying them and they'll go bananas

Now, I've got skin in the game, but try and refute my logic.....

Comment

I too just recently flipped out of my 84 Australian delivered Carrera coupe with 150,000kms into an 86 Carrera cab ex Hong Kong with just 41,000 genuine miles and loving it. Although it needs toughening up a little being Grand Prix White with no chins, tails or lowered stance.And the price difference was staggering.

Comment

whats not to love

un-adorned, un-spoiled and un-shark finned.....the quintessential narrow bodied Cab look.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

hardtop

Cab hardtop.

Super cool but you can't have the fabric roof insitu, it's hard top or no top only.
                    Attached Files

Comment

86 Carrera Cab

pic of the most recent addition to our garage. HK delivered with personal import approval in 1990 and full Autohaus Hamilton history since.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I wasn't looking for a Cab when I bought my manual 997. It was just there. The roof line is not as good as the coupe, but from in the car ...

A completely different experience. Lovely morning and evening drives with the top down and quiet and cool with the top up. No regrets at all and it is hard to understand the Aussie bias against cabs.

Comment

Everything in our wee market is amplified - incl lack of solid interest in 911 cabs - didn't I just hear I cashed in my coupe for $$$ and bought a cheap cab. Wasn't hearing next best thing to owning a targa S... I reckon welding a roof on a cab is as sinful as owning a LHD converted car. Not very. And certainly would offer cheap 993 ownership

Could ask same Q why sunroofs are seen with disdain but kooler for 356 and 912's

Guess I got skin in it to - coupe with sunroof and has a Sporto
                          190 roadsters different proposition
                          Last edited by Michel; 02-08-15, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Liberal with defacing a cab Michel... but dropping a period correct flat 6 in a 912 is blasphemy?

Comment

I have missed buying or just not bought some pretty special cabs, you can have them.
                              Stick a roof on them!:p
                              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                              X