Port Fairy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Fairy

Just thought I'd report that I'll be heading down the Great Ocean Road on Friday for 3 days of golf at Port Fairy. Just me and KYJ 911. (and 20 others)
    Unfortunately Julie can't make it due to other commitments.
    I'll be staying in an old stone cottage called "Arrondoon" which was built in 1862 for the farming family George and Maria Bull and their 5 children - I just hope there aren't any ghosts hanging around.
    Photos are of the 14th and 15th holes of the Port Fairy GC and the cottage.
    Never been there before so I'm really looking forward to it - may be another TYP901 run/weekend in the wind - although this is Marcus H's territory.
    Attached Files
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Peter,

Beautiful country....

Something about Coast Highways and our old cars that just seem to go together.......

This taken on our Pacific Coast Highway coming home from RGruppe last may...

The second taken a few miles away about 16 years ago at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse between Cambria and Monterey CA. .....

... many more adventures to come mate...

Cheers,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 26-02-07, 07:48 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
    Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
    R Gruppe #88

Comment

Chuck, nice shots.
      Your Pacific Coast Hwy appears very, very similar to our Great Ocean Road (GOR) and from my memories of many years ago, the lighthouse is reminiscent of the one at a small coastal hamlet called Airey's Inlet along the GOR.
      I'll post some 'holiday snaps' upon my return - the drive, not the golf.
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901

Comment

Hey Peter,

claire and i just got back from a week down in port fairy. stayed in a townhouse right next to the post office. anyway, if you're going through colac make sure you keep an eye out for a red long hood T with fog lights... (wasn't allowed to stop and check it out - short on time). no idea if it was a local or a tourist passing through...

As for port fairy - breakky/coffee at Rebecca's (can't remember if that is how it is spelt), go for a walk around Griffiths Island, dinner at Portofino's... and a drink at the Victoria Hotel. You'll have covered the best of port fairy.

If you're brave (and very hungry) you can go have the big stump rump at the Stump Hotel... all 900g of it!!!!!

Cheers

Rich
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
          ........ go for a walk around Griffiths Island, dinner at Portofino's... and a drink at the Victoria Hotel. .............
          Rich, thanks for the tourist info. We have organised dinner Friday night and BBQ/presentations on Sunday at the Victoria Hotel and dinner Saturday night at "Portafino"

Based on a previous post from TonyC in the thread "Cars of the World - Fort Queenscliffe", you will no doubt be asked the question "Who did they name Griffiths Island after Rich?"

Quote:
          Originally Posted by TonyC
          Who did they name Williamstown after Peter?

I believe my response at the time provided a valuable lesson in geography and hopefully fostered a latent interest in some to further research and study the history of early settlement in Victoria, or the Port Phillip Region as it was known prior to The Separation Act 1850.

To reiterate, Williamstown was not named after my family but was in fact named after the English monarch King William IV, however, I did refer to the Victorian town of Peterborough as being.. 'another story for another day'

For those with a geographical knowledge of the S/W coast of Victoria will no doubt be aware that Peterborough is on route to Port Fairy - and will be eagerly awaiting the next installment of "The naming of Places after Members of the Australian TYP901 Register"

Add to the list;
          Camberwell
          Alexandra
          Clyde
          PhillipIsland
          Richmond
          Reedy Creek
          Carlton
          Hughesdale
          Jappan
          St Andrews...............etc
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901

Comment

Peter
            To satisfy your curiosity...
            "Griffiths Island located on the edge of Port Fairy township is home to thousands of Shearwaters and the historic Griffiths Island lighthouse. The shearwaters construct burrows in the sand to raise their young. During the breeding season from September to April each year thousands of shearwaters can be viewed on dusk returning to their burrows from feeding grounds out to sea."

Named after Captain John Griffiths... no relation to me as far as I am aware... but as I come from a very Welsh surnamed family with Welsh, English, Irish and Scottish blood, there's no guarantee on that statement! we did manage to get around a bit...

Cheers

Rich
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I thought they named Port Fairy after you Peter.....

Comment

Originally posted by ESP911 View Post
                I thought they named Port Fairy after you Peter.....
                Nah don't think so Brett, don't remember any ancestors having the name "Port".
                ...................you are so cheeky darling
                Peter Williams #049
                Secretary TYP901

Comment

Some photos of the weekend.
                  Attached Files
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901

Comment

........and a couple more just for fun
                    Attached Files
                    Peter Williams #049
                    Secretary TYP901

Comment

It's a great little spot eh Peter?!? Pity it isn't closer to Mlebourne... although I am sure that's why it has retained so much charm!

So how many golf balls did you lose?!?

Cheers
                      Rich
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Jeez Peter, not much of a photographer. That bloody car kept getting in the way of all those nice scenic shots.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                          Jeez Peter, not much of a photographer. That bloody car kept getting in the way of all those nice scenic shots.
                          ................you're lucky I couldn't drive it onto the golf course!!
                          Peter Williams #049
                          Secretary TYP901

Comment

Again... Beautiful pics Peter

Cheers,
                            Chuck Miller
                            The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
                            Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
                            R Gruppe #88

Comment

Empty beach, all the fairies must be in Sydney

Comment

Working...
                              X