Proposal to phase out unleaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposal to phase out unleaded

might be an ever growing issue for classic car enthusiasts over the next few decades??

Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

i dont use it in my car ever. I use only BP or Caltex 98 even though as a 2.4 it can handle quite low octane fuel and given it is MFI it does not have any fancy computers to adjust mixtures to take advantage of higher octane. I find that with a big tank (85 litres) and relatively limited use I can go for well over a month before filling up - occasionally up to 2 months. Given the octane level goes off and fuel gets stale over time I therefore choose to start off with the highest octane level. From experience the 98 BP or Caltex also seems to make my engine feel a lot better than when it used to have the occasional regular unleaded in it. The extra cost does not worry me for the peace of mind that the fuel is less likely to "go off " in the tank
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I carefully read the (late) Harry Pellow's various letters and publications ("Secrets of the Inner Circle") on ethanol, other additives and Porsches. Amazing stuff and Chevron Oil eventually agreed with him and US options were changed for fuel purchasers (except CA of course).

This is an interesting thread on 356s (and other air cooled P cars) http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...cc3e1f2f97c5d7

And this article has some history https://www.damninteresting.com/the-...oisoned-earth/
      Last edited by Merv; 22-12-16, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I do the same as Hugh.

I've read the Harry Pellow stuff as well Merv - so avoid ethanol like the plague as a result.
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I would never put an ethanol mix anywhere near my Porsche and there is substantial evidence that it destroys rubber fuel lines. Also I have used an ethanol blend when there was no other economic choice while travelling, in my Calais V6 and our Mazda2. Both cars lost power and ran like rubbish, even though the computers are supposed to adapt. I am not against cleaner fuels, but the price hike will be just another slug on the motorist and we will loose more refineries. We have just returned from NZ where the price of regular unleaded is $2.02 per litre !!I agree wit Hugh's regime re BP and Caltex fuels as they are the same mix.
          Paul M

Comment

Working...
          X