I have a front engined confession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a front engined confession

I was debating weather to bore you all with this, but too bad. I have the sickness real bad, not just air cooled cars anymore, its gotten worse, i have just bought an '89 944 S2 and i love it! For those of you that are really confused right now about what im on about, this one has the engine in the front and is cooled by water!. In my usual style, i bought it sight unseen (peter gasps) without a PPI and thankfully it all worked out. My first ever drive in a 944 was when i picked it up off the truck. This should keep me entertained for a little while, but i must admit, i have a 968CS in my sights.
    Anyone else have a front engined confession?
    IMG_3852.JPGIMG_3853.JPGIMG_3857.JPG
    Last edited by mickc; 04-03-17, 05:41 PM.
    Mickc

65’ 912/6
    70’ 911T coupe
    00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Yep, I "ll raise you one, picked up a lhd 88 944 turbo omline at auction with just a few pics to support it. I hit the bid button,no other bidders (was thinking this must be a real dud). The auctioneer moved to the next lot so I was thinking it was passed in but late that afternoon invoice email came in
    Anyway the 300k kms on the speedo ended up being wrong as this has been changed out for another, I found the last service sticker had 89000kms performed back in Japan two years earlier (Car's condition supports this too).Have driven it on a permit and was very impressed with the way it drives,I can see why people like them.. Major service and rego is next then look out track day.
    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post
      Yep, I "ll raise you one, picked up a lhd 88 944 turbo omline at auction with just a few pics to support it. I hit the bid button,no other bidders (was thinking this must be a real dud). The auctioneer moved to the next lot so I was thinking it was passed in but late that afternoon invoice email came in
      Anyway the 300k kms on the speedo ended up being wrong as this has been changed out for another, I found the last service sticker had 89000kms performed back in Japan two years earlier (Car's condition supports this too).Have driven it on a permit and was very impressed with the way it drives,I can see why people like them.. Major service and rego is next then look out track day.
      Nice! thanks for sharing. turns out im not the only crazy person here. glad you like it
      Mickc

65’ 912/6
      70’ 911T coupe
      00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

They are excellent cars. My neighbour has a superb 928 and that is a hoot to drive.

Comment

They're great to drive. I'm a big fan.

Comment

I have a bit of a thing for the 968 CS...

Comment

As do I !! Stew Kay's old car is up for sale and there are two at CTS at the moment. The white car has had a truckload of money spent on it - Nick Blunck's from Duck and Whale magazine.
              Cam Arnott
              Looking for engine #6208151
              1970 911E (Sold)
              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by CamBiscuit View Post
                As do I !! Stew Kay's old car is up for sale and there are two at CTS at the moment. The white car has had a truckload of money spent on it - Nick Blunck's from Duck and Whale magazine.
                yes i cant stop looking at that white CS, tempting...
                Mickc

65’ 912/6
                70’ 911T coupe
                00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

I had a chat with Nick about it the other day. If I was cashed up at the moment I reckon I might have given it some serious thought......the only downside for me was no a/c.

A VERY well developed car
                  Cam Arnott
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I have owned a 944S2, 944 Turbo and NA 944. (Also a 928S for a short time). I liked the S2 best of all and it was a daily driver for a few years. Very easy to live with but also great for spirited driving. I upgraded the brakes to 951 specs (turbo) and the were a major improvement when you wanted to do track work. I know you wont be disappointed with this car as they are so comfortable to drive everyday but also have fantastic handling. I too lusted after a 968 after the 944S2 but they were few and far between. Also many lacked AC whereas the AC in eh S2 worked perfect despite all the glass.

The 944 Turbo (951) was an interesting car but the turbo was a bit of a "switch" . Not as bad as a 930 (which I also owned for a year) and I read many stories of wildly boosted 951's from teh US showing there is plenty of opportunity to make major HP in these cars. The handling of the 944 chassis is a lot more predictable than a 930, even with improved boost and HP.

Keep us posted about your experiences with this new acquisition.

regds, Phil

sigpicPhil Lack
                    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                    Early 911-S Registry # 690
                    R-Gruppe # 367
                    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by CamBiscuit View Post
                      I had a chat with Nick about it the other day. If I was cashed up at the moment I reckon I might have given it some serious thought......the only downside for me was no a/c.

A VERY well developed car
                      Just make sure it is not the one from SA

Comment

Stewart Kay is the oracle on that subject ;-)
                        Cam Arnott
                        1970 911E (Sold)
                        2 x Split Screen Kombis
                        TYP 901 Register # 78
                        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Was referring to White CS not red one.

Comment

He's still the oracle !
                            Cam Arnott