The price of Steel !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The price of Steel !

Have any of you noticed the dramatic increase in the price of steel this year ? Since Jan 08, its up around 60% with more increases planned before year end.

At this rate, our cars will be increasing in value just on the scrap value alone.

I have also seen the prices rising on various items that include steel parts and speaking with suppliers and manufacturers, they all have the same story. I wonder when Porsche will raise prices on parts (again) and blame steel prices ?? Makes you also wonder how new car prices will rise due to this factor ??

I heard about a scrap car business that came up for sale recently for $150,000 and they reckoned you could make that back in 6 months.

Steel futures anyone ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

The RSJ beams used in my recent renos were quoted at $6800 in December last year. Final price was $9500 by the time the work was done in August...
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Sounds about right.

It went up around 25% in one hike around June and there's been close to a 100% increase in the past 12 months.

Youn want to see how much steel goes in to buildings up here to achieve cyclone rating ........!!
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I've been talking to builders about a fairly substantial project and the prices are moving faster than they can quote. As John said, quotes don't last long.

Don't know about futures though, BHP, Rio and Fortescue have all done pretty well but there is plenty of speculation that China will slow down with building now the games are done. If the rest of world slows down, consumers stop buying all the bits that China makes from our iron ore, coal and various minerals etc. I'm not a stock trader but it seems the price rises are settling a bit.

Cheers
        Jeff Eelkema
        TYP 901 #132
        S-Reg #1431
        69E (project)
        various bevel Ducatis
        60s Vespa

Comment

It wasn't so long ago that I had to pay to have scrap metal picked up or actually deliver and unlaod it at the scrap yard. Now there is about three scrap companies that send drivers round the industrial estates to pick up the scrap metal. I simply leave it at our back door now.
          Soon they'll be buying it off us.
          If you think steel is dear, you should see copper & brass.

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
            Have any of you noticed the dramatic increase in the price of steel this year ? Since Jan 08, its up around 60% with more increases planned before year end.

At this rate, our cars will be increasing in value just on the scrap value alone.

I have also seen the prices rising on various items that include steel parts and speaking with suppliers and manufacturers, they all have the same story. I wonder when Porsche will raise prices on parts (again) and blame steel prices ?? Makes you also wonder how new car prices will rise due to this factor ??

I heard about a scrap car business that came up for sale recently for $150,000 and they reckoned you could make that back in 6 months.

Steel futures anyone ?
            i am currently employed on the design team for Sydneys Desalination Plant project.
            Going rate for fabricated steel has risen from about $5k/t to about $9k/t in last year or so in metropolitan area.

in '93 i was employed on site for the largest bauxite mine in the country at gove,nt and we were paying about $15k/t then.

many projects source there fabricated steel from india,china,taiwan,thailand, phillipines china etc and ship it in these days.
            going rate for from these countries has risen to about $3k/t.

not that difficult really,just allow for:
            1. a slightly longer delivery time.
            2. make sure you have good engineering design drawings.
            3. review the steel fabrication drawings prior to beginning fabrication.
            the items 2 & 3 should be carried out regardless of where the fabrication takes place?

just my $0.02 cents worth.

peter kaufmann
            ----------------
            "73 911e rebuilt to 2.7 mfi carrera rs spec
            Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 16-09-08, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Peter

Word up here is that after just spending about $2.5 billion on their G3 expansion, Alcan are due to spend a whole lot more on further upgrades.

It seems they upgraded the processing plant but forgot to upgrade the conveyors etc to increase the delivery volumes of raw material needed to keep the plant busy!
              Cam Arnott
              1970 911E (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

be long resources

Comment

and short banks...
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
                    Peter

Word up here is that after just spending about $2.5 billion on their G3 expansion, Alcan are due to spend a whole lot more on further upgrades.

It seems they upgraded the processing plant but forgot to upgrade the conveyors etc to increase the delivery volumes of raw material needed to keep the plant busy!
                    cam,

somehow, i don't think they forgot about upgrading the overland conveyor to the processing plant.
                    this was planned this way from the beginning
                    by the way this used to be or maybe still is the longest overland conveyor in the country.

peter kaufmann
                    --------------
                    '73 911e rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi spec.s

Comment

The price of steel, that's why Porsche stopped using wire binders on their Driver's Handbooks

Comment

Peter

I think you have the insider knowledge here but word on the street is that there is a fleet of tipper semi trailers over there working 24/7
                        Cam Arnott
                        1970 911E (Sold)
                        2 x Split Screen Kombis
                        TYP 901 Register # 78
                        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
                          Peter

I think you have the insider knowledge here but word on the street is that there is a fleet of tipper semi trailers over there working 24/7

Cam,

When Nabalco (Alu-Swiss) owned the bauxite mine and processing plant at Gove ,NT prior to Alcan purchasing it, it operated 24/7 around the clock this place is a "gold mine"?

peter kaufman
                          --------------
                          '73 911e rebuilt to 2.7 carrera rs mfi specs.

Comment

we manufacture cast/ductile iron and steel products as well as concrete products (reinforced with steel)... these rises have certainly effected us! The worldwide hunt for scrap is certainly on!
                            Interestingly enough, we've submitted a number of quotes for the desal plant in the last few months :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X