• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSLR Cameras

Hi all camera heads!

I am going to get myself a DSLR. Not sure which one

Any advice and recommendations?

That includes also others wanting to make the upgrade. What are you guys thinking of buying?

Thanks

Hi John, I use a Nikon D80, which I’ve owned for a couple of years and have been very happy with. Metal chassis, 10 megapixel maximum shot size (=A3+ photos), 11 point auto focus and nice degree of user input, from full manual to point and shoot auto. Bought mine with a 18-135mm lens which is good for 80% of my usage. If using a Mac would recommend Adobe Lightroom to manage your files and Photoshop CS3 for manipulation.
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

I've got an even older Nikon D70, which has been great, reliable, doesn't chew through the battery, my bigest problem being that there is no way I can justify upgrading!

I miuch prefer shooting with the DSLR's, compared to Sara's point & shoot, you can capture what you want, when you want.
      MichaelJapp
      71E
      Typ901 #065
      EarlyS #798

Comment

John , before you buy a DSLR decide whether you really need one for what you are going to do with the pictures . I have been a camera nut since I was 14 ( and that's a long time ) and I've had all the gear , Leicas , Canon SLR's etc and now I am totally sold on the top of the range Canon ProAm "point and shoot "the G series . Mine is a G7 but they have done a couple of upgrades and the latest model is a G10 . It has a metal body--and looks and feels like a proper camera not a mobile phone and is packed with features including a good zoom lens . It is well priced and above all else compact . There are lots of great reviews of the G10 around . Have a look at the G10 before you go and buy a DSLR .I reckon that my G7 is the best camera I've ever had .

John Shingleton

Comment

A mate has a G7 also, and reckons it is awesome. It takes shots like an DSLR but so much smaller!!! Can't change the lense though!
          Alex Webster
          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

John,
            you have a point about a decent "point and shoot" doing almost all I'd need, except that compared to a DSLR they are frustratingly slow in start-up and successive shots, even the G10, which is the camera I'd get if not a DSLR. Oh, and I wouldn't have an excuse to get all geeky about all the different lenses.

Paul & Michael,
            Good to hear you're both happy with your Nikons. I am reading lots of good things about the new D90, which I like the look of.

Matt, if you're around what's the little Leica you have? Probably the nicest "point and shoot" I've seen.

Thanks for the responses guys

Comment

John
              When you've narrowed the search to a few options, there's a good website at www.dpreview.com which I used a long time ago when I bought my point and shoot. It has quite scientific tests of the equipment, and the reviews were very complete last time I looked. I'm now getting toey about SLRs so I'll be interested to hear how you go.
              John H

70 T

Comment

John, my Leica is the d-lux 3. If I were you I would go for the Lumix. Its by Panasonic, its basically the Leica with a different name (cheaper). It uses the Leica lens. I just read an article from a camera magazine saying it was the best point and shoot camera they have ever tested. The advantage of an SLR (other than pic quality) is being able to change lenses and shoot more frames per second. My little Leica rivals many low-end SLR's, yet its small enough, not to be a hassle.
                In saying that, im about to get the new Canon 5D mk11 (big dollars) for work.

Comment

I concur with Matts comments re the Panasonic Lumix. Mine's the DMC -FX1 model (3.2 mp) with Leica lens. Had it for about 5 yrs, no problems, re-chargeable, good zoom, very solid case. Cost around $500 when purchased.
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I have the new Canon IXUS 970 IS and it is great
                    Alex Webster
                    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Matt, that's a serious piece of kit, the 5D II. I am curious to know what the factors are in deciding the choice of make at this professional level. I keep reading about the canon v nikon rivalry. Is it a lens driven decision, or the body itself, or is it just a personal brand preference?

btw looking forward to some p car pics from your new camera

Peter, thanks for the dpreview site, I have been a frequent visitor there for the last week or two. Like you say very scientific tests, akin to reading someones phd thesies ie. a little on the dry side and can be a chore to read to conclusion, so sometimes I don't

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
                        Peter, thanks for the dpreview site.....
                        It was actually John H, but don't worry I'll take the credit
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901
                        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Canon vs Nikon – having used both I think it really comes down to personal preference; both will produce a great result. I do confess to a bias as having used other Canon high end commercial optical reproduction products I am very wary of the engineering that goes into anything with their badge in it.
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke
                          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Originally posted by gouldwil View Post
                            It was actually John H
                            Sorry John and thank you

Originally posted by gouldwil View Post
                            ...but don't worry I'll take the credit
                            why doesn't that surprise me

Comment

No worries at all, John. Peter's a bit like that - sort of gets into your brain and stays there........called charisma , I think. Or is it?

Please don't buy this bit of retro gone mad! http://www.rollei.jp/e/pd/MiniDigiAF.html

If you've ever panned a lot from the waist down at motor racing events (see illustration) then you're probably good friends with your chiropractor.
                              John H

70 T

Comment

Working...
                              X