Day from Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day from Hell

I hope every body is safe & sound with these bush fires raging in both Vic & NSW.

Yesterday was truly a day from Hell.

I awoke with the news that our family farm house in Taggerty has been burnt to the ground and a few friends in the area have lost their houses.

The club drove up through Kinglake just last week and stopped for lunch in Buxton. Kinglake has been burnt out with a loss of lives and friends, who lost their house, are trapped in Buxton due to all the roads being closed.

St Andrews, which is under 20mins from our house and sheltering the people from Kinglake, is on high fire alert with reports of spot fires.

We've only lost property, my heart goes out to the people who have lost loved ones.

Sorry to learn of your loss Brett. You say it's only property, must be sad though to lose something of your past.

My thoughts are with those affected by this tragedy.

Comment

Sad news Brett but glad to hear none of your family hurt.
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Terrible news Brett....and as you said, our run last week went through each of the areas devastated by fire yesterday, Kinglake and Marysville, where there was a tragic loss of many lives and homes and property destroyed.
        I've personally experienced four bushfires in Upwey - 1962, 1968, 1983 (Ash Wednesday) and the last in 1997. Of the four, Ash Wednesday had least affect on our property - all the others burnt literally to our fenceline. Until one has experienced and witnessed a bushfire in full flight, one cannot imaging the speed, noise, radiant heat and huge winds generated by the inferno.
        Yesterday there was an outbreak in Upper Ferntree Gully (about 3km away) which fortunately was brought under control relatively quickly - although the train line has been put out of action for a week or so. Had the fire got into the adjoining National Park, we would have again been in peril. The local fire brigades and choppers do a marvellous job.

...........and it appears that most of the fires were deliberately lit. (sick bastards)

I don't wish to trivialize your loss Brett, but I'm reminded of a cryptic line from comedian Jimoen when observing the lone brick chimney standing after a house had been destroyed by fire when he said - "It's a cold reminder of where the fire should have been"

Yesterday was indeed a day from Hell.

Best wishes
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Our loss was small compared to some out there.

The main point of the post was to point out that the towns we drove through last week no longer exist. I still can't imagine the horror & devastation.

Glad your safe Peter. Friends in Gembrook had their car loaded & ready to go.

Comment

Maybe we should do another run through there in a few months time, to get a real perspective of what happened. I am sure it will be a real eye opener, as well as shocking.

our hearts go out to all involved directly, and the families and friends.
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Just horrific. As an ex-Victorian and copper, I've spent time in most of the places affected. I can only guess what my old colleagues are going through with the coronial work involved.

My wife's parents think they have lost their house outside of Woodside (near Yarram), but aren't allowed in yet to find out.

Best wishes go out to all of you enduring this nightmare.
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

sorry to hear about your farm brett.

it's hard to grasp the enormity of losing your own house or worse someone you know... claire and I sat inside with the cooling running - never got above 28 degrees, whilst people were out fighting for their lives (and sadly not always winning).

i agree with alex - i think the run could show support for these communities. i would imagine these country towns (like marysville and kinglake) get a fair bit from the tourist dollar... i am sure they will need every cent we can spend there (even if only on a couple of burgers).
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Brett and all my mates in the South East.....

Best thoughts and hopes for you and yours, and for all in harms way......

We have the same threat up here in SoCal every year... we relate

Cheers and be safe,
                  Chuck
                  Last edited by Chuck Miller; 10-02-09, 03:26 AM.
                  Chuck Miller
                  The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
                  Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
                  R Gruppe #88

Comment

Brett sorry to hear of the loss of the family property.

My designer called in yesterday morning to say that her parents’ home in Buxton had been destroyed and that her father was missing. This was followed up early in the afternoon by a knock at the door by the police to inform the family that he’d been found safe but extremely traumatised. With the scale of the disaster it appears there aren’t many degrees of separation between any of us and those who have been directly affected by the fires.
                    Paul Wischer
                    1969 911T
                    1979 Californian Moke
                    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Sorry for your loss Brett, we have a few at work and some mates who have lost property - and some lucky ones also.

Photo from my deck in Macleod tonight - it's still going.

ps - And I thought I was smoking up there last weekend!!!
                      Attached Files
                      Marcus
                      TYP901 Member #81
                      1972 911E

Comment

Check page 4 of the Herald-Sun for a picture of our farm house Roslyn.
                        Nothing but the chimneys left.

Comment

4 cold reminders.............

Heartbreaking loss Brett. It looks to have been a grand old house and it's a pity that we never got to see it - I remember our planned run last year when we were to drop in for a visit was cancelled due to rain.........how ironic.
                          Peter Williams #049
                          Secretary TYP901
                          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Our thoughts no go out to Peter, Julie and family as this afternoon a fire broke out in the Upwey region so I hope he was prepared or left pronto!!! So far it hasn't caused major damage but the winds are howling still.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President
                            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Yes, indeed. Our thoughts are with u peter, julie & family.
                              Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                              X