Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Post Hoist - Would You

Hi,

Time for a quick decision, I can get hold of a pretty cheap (under 1K) used, but in good nick, 2 Post Hoist. I've been vaguaely dreaming of a 4 post for storage reasons, but this has come up.

Are 2 Posts any good for storage? Or does the 'hanging' damage the suspension etc?
    Marcus
    TYP901 Member #81
    1972 911E

I'm sure there's a few opinions, but I always understood that when storing a car it's best to 'take the weight off'. So having a car 'hang' on a two post would seem fine (providing the lift has a mechanical lock to relieve the hydraulic rams).

Make sure you clarify the motor phase (single or three-phase). Most homes don't have three-phase, but there are converters available so it's not a deal breaker.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks John,

Yeh - It's 3 phase & I'm not, but as you say, that's easily fixed.

And yes I understand it locks mechanically to take the strain off the hydrualics.

Marcus
      Marcus
      TYP901 Member #81
      1972 911E

Comment

For less than a grand? I'd grab it...
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

And then you can add one of these... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-Hoist-Ada...#ht_500wt_1182
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

if only i had the space...
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Hey John you can another hoist for two of those...

PS Thanks again for the switch

Comment

No worries AB - like I said, it'll be good for spares...
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Cannot remember the specifics as not an electronics engineeer - but not all 3 phase convertors are made equal...do your homework.

Make sure all the plugs with the hoist are with it as they can be quite expensive new. Othwerwise buy the plugs second hand from a used building supplies shop.

I have recently had an electrician quote to put 3 phase in my house and not that expensive. ACTEW AGL (local supplier)will also upgrade if necessary the line to the house gratis...if you tell them you are connecting power hungry air
                  conditioning.

Comment

Marcus

Sorry to disagree with John but I wouldn't store a car with the suspension hanging. It is certainly a good idea to get the weight off the tyres but you should try and keep the suspension loaded.

It depends on what you are storing and the design of the suspension mounts. Most modern cars have control arm bushes designed to be loaded and are not symetrical. The same applies to top strut mounts and shock bushes. Sway bar bushes can get distorted with the suspension fully extended.

An old 911 with symetrical control arm bushes probably won't mind too much but your strut mounts and sway bars could still be an issue.

As an aside, many Hyundais will sieze up the shocks/struts if the suspension gets hung even for a short time. Don't know why but it is source of dispute after mechanics have done a service etc.

2 post hoists are great for working on a car with great access but make sure you check out the integrity of the cables. They normally use a hydraulic ram and a series of cables and pulleys etc. These cables stretch and have been known to fail but there should be a mechanical safety latch system but I have seen these removed/ disabled when they play up due to wear. Anything is possible with old/cheap hoists. A car/4WD coming off a 2 post hoist isn't fun but I won't go into the details here.

Cheers
                    Jeff Eelkema
                    TYP 901 #132
                    S-Reg #1431
                    69E (project)
                    various bevel Ducatis
                    60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
                    X