Has anybody owned a Pug 205 Gti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody owned a Pug 205 Gti?

If so, would appreciate your opinion on their suitability as a more 'practical' car than the rest of the Curnick fleet...

I've always liked them, reviewers always rave about them, but I don't know what they're like in terms of reliability etc.

eg. http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...%20gti&trecs=5

Never owned one - but loved them.... and drove quite a few.

I was all set to buy one in the early 90's - and tripped over a 356 instead!

I often scan carsales for them.
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Yeah i really like them too but can't help with the info on them sorry. That one you linked to looked pretty good though. My mum has a 306 cab which has been pretty good, minor problems like fuel sender and that sort of thing, but pretty reliable over all. It is mid 90s so not sure if any cross over.

CJ

Comment

I remember that Mrs Tiger had one in the mid 90's, almost identical but think it had a sunroof, great little car & loads of fun. Tiger should be able to give you the lowdown.

Comment

You'll be wanting the mid mount engine version....
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Excavating a basement garage now Ryan ?
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

They did come with a tartan interior option. I suggest this is the correct one that you are looking for ?? You probably also have to have dark green as a external colour which goes nicely with the tartan. They did also have an anniversary one which had a badge and a few more bits..

Handy little cars. Very painful seat belts if I recall, but that can be changed for harnesses...

Would highly recommend otherwise, Em loved it until my business partner borrowed it for a day and write it off!

Comment

I was running JRA Cars who were the Peugeot importers back in the 80's when the 205GTI was launched locally in 1987 . It really was great car but like all Peugeots the build quality was not upto Japanese standards so they have not worn well. We've had a Peugeot 206 since 2001 and whilst it has been totally reliable the build quality is still not top line.
                The problem with buying a 205GTI today is that few were imported into Australia so finding a good one will be very difficult .You're talking about 20 year old mass produced cars here . Most were thrashed to within an inch of their lives back in the 90s before they reacquired cult status .The few good GTIs around are very much treasured . Parts are also an issue as much of the trim and many other parts are no longer freely available .What you will not find locally ( and probably not anywhere else either ) is the softtop version -the 205 CTI. JRA bought one in as an evaluation vehicle and it redefined the term "scuttle shake" . It had the torsional rigidity of a wet paper bag . Sadly none of the turbo charged mid engined versions ( 205 Turbo16) ever made it down here -- they were only LHD . I did have a wild demo ride in one with Ari Vatanen driving -unforgettable- at a dealer event in France and still have a copy of the very rare Turbo 16 brochure .
                Summary on the 205GTI -- a great car but finding a really good one locally is up there with the chances of finding rocking horse droppings .

John Shingleton

Comment

Hi Ryan.
                  Not sure what you want to know exactly, but i had a 205 which i used in club events, also competing in rally tas in twice.As far as reliability it was fantastic as well as a heap of fun. I can recommend Colin Stark out at alpine affair as a good source for info on the GTI, and he could most likely find one for you. I could also recomend Paul from universe motors in richmond who also races, services and sells pugs. I found them relatively easy to work on, and spare mechanical parts were easily sourced from regan motors. They are also fantastic for motor kahnas. Let me know if i can help with anything else.
                  Cheers
                  Mick

Comment

thanks guys. all good stuff.

mick - i found colin via the interweb and spoke to him this morning. lots of good info. however, the guy selling the car linked above is reluctant to take it "to the city" so i'll keep looking.

it appears that the 94 'classic' edition is the pick of the bunch.

Comment

Mr C

Now here's an alternative and you can view it tonight at CTS!

and it's a good use for cookie cutters its would seem.
                      Attached Files

Comment

its not quite the same though is it tigesy...

Comment

Ha! A VW Country... I had one

...Right after the Goggo Dart...
                          John Forcier
                          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                          Restoration Saga
                          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                          X