Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track Novice

Gents,
    my 2.2 track project should be completed early in the New Year.
    Besides a driver training day at Wakefield Park and few corporate days at the Creek I have no track time.
    So as not to embarrass myself and irritate other competitors I'd like to undertake some professional driver ed with the aim of PCNSW sprints and Historic Regularity.
    Peter Finlay in NSW offers a 2 day course which appears to tick a lot of boxes, other options seem few and far between.
    I'd appreciate your comments, thanks,
    Craig
    Craig
    12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
    1972 2.4E Targa project
    1973 911 2.4E for the road

They do Eastern creek, I did a Sandown day with them a few years back.

GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

I did the Finlay course, & found it pretty good & learnt lots. Although not making a dickhead of yourself on the track only takes the ability to be aware of what's going on around you, look in your mirrors, & 2 turns ahead, & a fair assesment of your (& the cars) ability, & that is probably dependent on your personality, & not learnt. In saying that, by asking the question, & "not wanting to irritate other competitors" you will probably be fine! (that's just the opinion of a racing newboy).
      MichaelJapp
      71E
      Typ901 #065
      EarlyS #798

Comment

What Jappy said. When I first started, all I tried to do was ensure I didn't ding anyone's car

Drive at your own pace, use mirrors (much more dilligently than on the road), "own" you space, but be courteous enough to leave the racing line open for a passing car, and no hero overtakes until (a) you really know your car and (b) you know everyone else
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Craig

You'll be most welcome at Regularity and a lot of fun

Good idea on the track ed. I did the EC ARDC one day and it was great. I've also done the Track Time and Aaron McGill. ARDC was the best and they generally have many of the same instructors. Use the instructors as much as you can, at least 3 times throughout the day, be a HOG the advice is invaluable!

Why not do your PC licence at the same time ? You'll learn the track and get a Observed Test out of the way. Very easy, read the CAMS manual before hand though. Come and have a beer some time and we can explain the whole process.

I reckon at some stage in the new year we'll have 4 or even 5 cars running in Regularity. Sadly though once my car is ready for Group S I'll be off, same for Mr C.

There is also private practice days, so we'll keep you posted. I think you need more than a 2S lic. for EC ??

As far as pissing people off goes, people are very understanding if you watch your mirrors. But I think you'll find you car will be quite competitive once you get going and they'll be looking for you! Come along you'll have a ball. Once you get used to that, you can race your car in the FOSC Marque Sports cars races 3-4 per annum or even run the Reg at Bathurst next year.

Fun, fun fun !

PS PCNSW has a good competition guide which I hadn't read until recently and there are many tips which may be beneficial if you haven't read it. http://pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_...tion_Guide.pdf
          Last edited by Andrew B; 05-12-09, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Craig,

I found the physics of racing series really good to read and work with. See link

PCNSW sprints are a great way to start. There are plenty of people to help you out. Private practice days are great fun and you can go at your own pace.

All the above posts are spot on as well.

Beware its a slippery slope!!!

Comment

Gents,
              thanks for all your advice, Santa is putting some track time with the ARDC at EC under the tree- excellent !
              Craig
              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
              1972 2.4E Targa project
              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I started out with Porsche club sprints and then did the Peter Finlay 2 day CAMS license course and can highly recommend it.

You (should) end up with a CAMS provisional circuit license with is OK for track practice days, Regularity events and also Group S events.

Comment

Working...
                X