Broadford Bonanza 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadford Bonanza 2010

This is the second year of this event which is a total motor bike weekend at the National Motorcycle Complex at Broadford. Events include Roadrace Track, MX GP track, Enduro, Trials, Dirt Track and Speedway - all happening at the same time. Bikes ranged from pre 60's up to about 1985.
    A couple of mates were on the racetrack - Rob Byrnes on the "Carter Triumph" and the other, Barry Jones on his 450 Duke. Unfortunately Rob had a big "off' on the Triumph during his second run on Saturday - smashing the front forks and severely bruising his backside. He merely ran out of tyre cornering flat out into the main straight, the bike slid out from under him and hit a concrete spoon drain on the side of the track causing the bike to cartwheel and sustaining the damage to the front end. Had it just been a grass verge he reckons that damage would have been minimal.

Some photos for those interested
    Attached Files
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

......and some of my favourites - Dukes of course
    Attached Files
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901

Comment

Nice Peter!
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

.....some MV Augustas (very, very expensive) and a few real oldies
        Attached Files
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901

Comment

that black 900SS and the yellow 450 are very cool...

peter did you take your 450?
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
            that black 900SS and the yellow 450 are very cool...

peter did you take your 450?
            Rich, the yellow cafe racer is a 250, and was beatifully riden by a WOMAN (you can just see her seated in the backgound of the photo of the two early Ducati racing bikes (175cc and 350cc)- in the purple top) and no we didn't take the 450 this year - maybe next year. The 175cc is a genuine factory racer and worth a mint, the other (No.150) is a repo built from the ground up by the current owner - I'm not sure if it's 350cc or 500cc - got conflicting info.
            Last edited by MrUpwey; 06-04-10, 11:16 AM.
            Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901

Comment

Peter

Looks like a great event. I've wanted to get down to the Island Classic at PI for years but this could also be worth a trip. One of my bucket list items is putting together a 350 short stroke desmo racer and enter the island classic. I have most of the bits I need - another project.

As for the capacity of the little Duke racer I'd be surprised if it was much bigger than 250cc. The narrow case engines started in the 50s at 100/125cc from memory and only got to 250cc before they changed the design to a wide case like yours. These later engines were available in 250,350 and 450 capacity but the earlier designs were a bit fragile. If it is actually 350 or bigger I'd love to know what is inside it and how long it has lasted. They look fantastic though and the photos don't show just how tiny these things are. They almost feel like a push bike to ride.

You might also be interested in coming up to QLD in August for a Moto Giro weekend. Its a weekend of rides around the hills behind the Sunshine Coast for small older Italian bikes. I'll be going this year on something even if I end as a marshall on my 750 Duke. I almost went last year but my only bike option was a mate's old Vespa.

http://qemsc.com.au/documents/MotoGi...nformation.pdf Here is a flyer for last years event and planning is underway for this year.
              Jeff Eelkema
              TYP 901 #132
              S-Reg #1431
              69E (project)
              various bevel Ducatis
              60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
              X