Interesting new trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting new trailer

An engineer up here in Brisbane has developed a new light weight car trailer that may be of interest. The platform winds up and down so it does away with ramps. The pics show the prototype but the final version will have a different mechanism for moving the platform. ATM is 1500kg with a tare of around 350kg so its ideal for an older 911. Price is expected to be around $4k.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Eelkema; 15-08-10, 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Jeff Eelkema
    TYP 901 #132
    S-Reg #1431
    69E (project)
    various bevel Ducatis
    60s Vespa

some more pics
    Attached Files
    Jeff Eelkema
    TYP 901 #132
    S-Reg #1431
    69E (project)
    various bevel Ducatis
    60s Vespa

Comment

Furthermore - how about the Cosmo! Fantastic styling.

Comment

www.nevco.com.au also make a trailer that does this. Looks flasher but about twice the price! How effective are these single axle trailers with a 911 which has most of the weight right at the rear or do you have to back the car on to put the weight at the front?

Comment

backing a 911 on is pretty common.

another option is having the trailer made with the wheels more rearward than 'normal' to allow driving on front first.

Comment

A lot easier to back on to this one.at 350 kg nice and light to move around too.Is it galvanised Jeff?

Comment

As far as I know it is galvanised. A workmate knows the guy building these and I gather the key was trying to keep it light, simple and affordable. I think he is aiming at the people who own small, light classics or race cars and don't want to have to drive a huge tow truck everywhere. Once you get above around 1500kg trailer weight your tow vehicle options become fairly limited to big 4WDs. Even things like XR6/8 or HSV stuff is limited to about 1600kg due to load issues with low profile performance tyres.

I'm not sure about the rear weight bias but being locally made I guess you could get the axle a bit further back. Given the short wheelbase of 911s I suspect you could place it well forward and keep most of the weight over the axle so it may not be a big issue.
              Jeff Eelkema
              TYP 901 #132
              S-Reg #1431
              69E (project)
              various bevel Ducatis
              60s Vespa

Comment

If anyone tries it with a 911, se if the doors will open ? Frustrating if you bought one and they dont...

Comment

Jeff,

Do you have the builders details?
                  I need a trailer for my new race car.

Comment

Paul

Pm sent, I should be able to get some details next week.
                    Jeff Eelkema
                    TYP 901 #132
                    S-Reg #1431
                    69E (project)
                    various bevel Ducatis
                    60s Vespa

Comment

contact details

Anyone with an interest in these can get info via www.mx5plus.com.au then click on parts then car transport or get in touch via email parts@mx5plus.com.au I understand there has been some further development on the lifting mechanism to make it more user friendly. The same guy has also developed a system of car tie downs that are widely regarded by professional tow truck operators.

cheers
                      Jeff Eelkema
                      TYP 901 #132
                      S-Reg #1431
                      69E (project)
                      various bevel Ducatis
                      60s Vespa

Comment

Jeff,

I've looked at Nevco and Tilta but I think I'll be going with this one. I love the simplicity of the engineering and the practicality of being able to use it as a hoist for getting access under the rear of the car for maintenance.
                        Just have to wait another month till they have final pricing sorted.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X