The worst looking car in the world.
    According to BBC TopGear anyway
    GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

It's certainly not pretty...
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

looks good inside.

Comment

It's also the top selling Porsche in the USA! My 56 year old wife has decided that Clarkson is a F###wit, strong words indeed. Porsche should refuse them access to their cars. Yet again decided that TG is a waste of time.

Comment

Yes can confirm that.

I spoke with my friend at PCNA last month and they are selling heaps, with approximately 2/3rd's of the buyers new to the brand. So in that regard the car is a resounding success.

Clarkson - is an entertaining plonker / circus clown... I seldom agree with him, but he seems to make the show, along with the rapport he has with Captain Slow and the Hamster.
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

As a closet Jensen Interceptor Lover - I like the look of the Pamamera.

It's certainly not pretty, but it's bold and has undeniable presence, history may repeat itself here, didn't people think the 928 was ugly....!
            Tom Walstab
            Member #142
            911L Silver 1968
            911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
            928GTS Iris Blue 1995
            911 997 Targa 4S Black
            Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
            Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

Tom,

you mean it will go down the same path as the 928?

Look is personal and I don't like the Panamera one bit
              GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
                looks good inside.
                Looks good FROM THE inside don't u mean john?!

Why buy ugly when u can buy maserati or aston beauties?!?
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Interestingly Clarkson and both the others hated the interior controls and said they couldnt figure out how to do anything, yet they all decided they wanted this car out of the three there. Also after bagging the Panamera at the outset, they suddently liked the fact it was the quickest by far.

So for someone like Clarkson who forever goes on about speed, go figure why he hated the Porsche so much. It in his genes that he's Porschephobic. Has shown this many times.

Typical pommy git who seems to think his English cars are world class.

I say, put him back into that Reliant Robin and weld the doors shut.
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Clarkson is opinionated but that is part of show's success. His newspaper columns are the same but he has found a loyal readership. I think people actually like someone who tells it like he sees it even if it is a biased opinion.

BMW tried to stop them getting cars but topgear just went and bought a new car, tested it and then sold it. When you are one of the highest rating BBC shows you have a big budget.

He is patriotic which is just as well for the British car industry. Without people like him the Brits wouldn't have an industry today.

As for the Panamera, I still don't like it but then again I can't think of any current luxury sedan that looks great. The hatch rear just doesn't work on a big car. They should have stuck with a more conventional sedan profile.

I know a guy with a 997 turbo cab who had a turbo Cayene as a family wagon for his wife and 1 child but he now has a Panamera turbo. It will be interesting to see if this is common and robs sales of the Cayene which has been Porsche's savior in recent years.
                    Jeff Eelkema
                    TYP 901 #132
                    S-Reg #1431
                    69E (project)
                    various bevel Ducatis
                    60s Vespa

Comment

Porsche have sold more than 270,000 Cayennes since 2002 and have a new model to keep the momentum going. Can't see that many panameras, but who knows. To stir the pot further, here are two predictions -1. new base model with 2 litre turbo from VW and 2. V8 into the 911, flat six gone.
                      Paul M.

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
                        To stir the pot further, here are two predictions -1. new base model with 2 litre turbo from VW and 2. V8 into the 911, flat six gone.
                        Paul M.
                        So are we talking RUF RGT-8 style V8's Paul.......

Attached Files
                        Tom Walstab
                        Member #142
                        911L Silver 1968
                        911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
                        928GTS Iris Blue 1995
                        911 997 Targa 4S Black
                        Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
                        Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

Yes, Clarkson is opinionated about a number of things, Porsche generally is one of those. In regards to the looks of the Panamera it certainly polarizes opinion. Porsche over the years have in the main prioritized function over form (928, 914, Cayanne & even the 911 in certain variants are not for everyone). I think this is one good example were good German engineering takes priority. I have had the pleasure of driving one of these beasts in S form and must say it did not disappoint!
                          Costas
                          95 993 Carrera Coupe
                          & a lesser 14 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L TDI bi turbo (Daily Drive)

Comment

Tom, why not,but expensive. Porsche can use the existing V8. But my"feeling" is to either mid engine or front engine the V8, easy for Porsche to do in either case. You know, I've just realised it's a 928GTS in 911 clothing.
                            Paul M.

Comment

Working...
                            X