Am I a F-wit or what!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I a F-wit or what!!

Landcruiser was low on diesel, so decided to drop down to the local servo and fill up - not my usual servo but a Caltex attached to our local Woolworths supermarket in Ferntree Gully and I only went there as we had a recently received a discount card for fuel.
    Diesel is in one of those multi-fuel pumps so grabbed the middle nozzle and started to fill whilst chatting with another 4 wheel driver adjacent. Filled up the sub tank first with 40lts and then put about 20 lts into the main tank when I noticed that...FAAAAAARK!!!!.........I'd grabbed the unleaded nozzle and pumped about 60 lts into the truck.
    Knowing that it's not really good to have petrol in a diesel vehicle, a fact which was confirmed by the chap I was chatting with, we pushed the L/cruiser into the adjoining Woolies carpark and phoned RACV for a tow home.
    Tomorrow I'll be draining both tanks.

The sub tank was nearly empty as I was able to put about 40lts into the 50 lt tank, so the majority of the fuel is unleaded with a small amount of diesel. Is there any problem with using such a mix in Julie's Beetle or should I just chuck it out? Jeff Eelkema?

Foot note - the RACV towie said he does at least one of these a week - so I'm not the only F-wit out there ...........but he did add that most were women in small diesel cars.
    Last edited by MrUpwey; 05-06-11, 07:32 AM.
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

I'm pretty sure a little diesel in petrol won't be a big issue - maybe run it in your lawn mower though...
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I'll probably toss the lot as it's not worth the risk of ruining an engine...even the mower

................if only Julie had done it - you should hear the "stick" that I'm getting.
      Last edited by MrUpwey; 06-06-11, 09:33 AM.
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901

Comment

So was that a seniors moment or were you looking at a hottie?
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

His eyes are failing so he can't see the hotties or the diesel pump!!!
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

All fixed, new fuel and L/C running nicely - only damage was to my ego. Cam, I do put it down to a "seniors moment" - I think I need a holiday.....hang on, my life is a holiday .
            Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901

Comment

Peter

Friends had a UK doctor staying with them. He put 60litres of ULP into their diesel Volvo and drove off. $12k later and the car was returned from the Volvo workshop !

They didn't like the UK Doctor before he borrowed the car. Now ...... I think F-wit applied here, at least you picked it up!

Comment

the answer is always YES. I didn't bother reading the body of the text
                GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Hi Peter

Luckily you don't own a modern diesel! This is very common, particularly with those new to diesels so don't feel too bad. Mind you it is harder to justify if you have driven a diesel for years!

Old (pre common rail)diesels will tolerate 3-4% petrol and the tainted petrol is also OK in petrol engines as the diesel simply acts as an upper cylinder lube. Perfect in the mower or beetle provided it is a bit dilute. The worst that will happen in old engines is plug fouling but if you keep it under 5% diesel you should be fine. Later petrol engines with O2 sensors and cat converters don't like high levels of oil or diesel going through the exhaust as this can contamite these components but if it is diluted it is OK. Just add 5-10 litres of the tainted petrol to a nearly full tank.

cheers
                  Jeff Eelkema
                  TYP 901 #132
                  S-Reg #1431
                  69E (project)
                  various bevel Ducatis
                  60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
                  X