Unexpected Pleasure - Southward Car Museum NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Pleasure - Southward Car Museum NZ

Almost by accident we visited an amazing museum about an hour by public transport from Wellington New Zealand. It has 200ish cars on display in a very varied mix, the vast majority displayed in 'Lindsay Fox' standard. The floor space is about 4500 sq m and you will need a couple of hours at least to have a good poke around. Only two Porsches - a slightly tired 69 E, and the wreck of a 911 used in the '90s for attempts on the Land Speed Record.

The website is www.southward.org.nz, and i've attached (I hope) a couple of pics. The overhead shot with the Vampire shows only about one quarter of the main display on that floor. Upstairs has many motor cyles and push bikes. In the basement are quite a few more 50s and 60s cars, not quite as exciting as the main display.

I'd hate to think you were not far from the museum and missed it. We could have.

Cheers

John H
    Attached Files
    John H

70 T

Wow!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

John,

Yet another great reason to visit NZ (as if there aren't enough already)...what a great find! Fantastic pics too - thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
      Lisa

Comment

John,

What'a GREAT place...

Love seeing all the American old iron I'm used to as right hookers...

Cheers,
        Chuck Miller
        The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
        Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
        R Gruppe #88

Comment

i've heard about this place and its definately on my to do list next time i'm over.

i'm pretty sure a friend of mine witnessed the crash of the land speed car - from memory the driver lost most of an arm...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys and gal. Just to finish off my NZ saga here are two photos of another place worth a visit. It is called Fazazz in Christchurch and takes cars in on commission, displaying them amongst a wealth of memorabilia etc, a lot of it for sale. www.fazazz.co.nz will show you more. The second room of similar size is mainly cars, not shown here. Definitely no more holiday snaps from me, just looking forward to the 7litre 1936 Roller Sedanca de Ville appearing in Clyde's shed.

Cheers

John Hoey

70 T
            Attached Files
            John H

70 T

Comment

I second John's comments about the place in Christchurch, i was there last week ... ended up all afternoon in the place !! A wonderful shop. Great book selections, and stacks of memorabilia. Nearly got tempted into a Mk2 Jag though !! (cars there are sold on commission)

Comment

Working...
              X