Video: Sydney Morning Herald website: Flat out with Porsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video: Sydney Morning Herald website: Flat out with Porsche

At an average speed of 195km/h, Toby Hagon savoured a ride with former World Rally Champion Walter Rohrl.

See "motoring" on drive.com.au

(my work internet 'bans' me from looking, but it appears good !!)

Brilliant!
    Marcus gave me the DVD of Walter in a 911 ST in a rally in 2004/5 in Germany... he drives this thing in the wet on the limit, and it is amazing what he makes it do.
    Walter is a champion. Dad had the pleasure of meeting him at Targa a few years back, and said he is a wonderful person who is always up for a chat and talk about Porsches. When they were developing the 996 Turbo, which he was instrumental in testing, he said the car is unbelievable. The new 997 Turbo looks just as good or better!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Hey Alex, as I'm building an ST replica I would love to see that DVD, could let me know how to get a copy?
      David Belford
      Typ 901 Register Inc.

Comment

Dave,
        the video does not show you much other than inside the car, and at best it is kinda poor quality due to the location of the camera.
        From the performance aspect though, I think the 'ST' that Walter was driving had been modified a little, with a VERY short gearbox, probably the rally spec box that was available with early 911's.
        The car also had a ducktail on it, from the one ourside shot that they have for the entire video!!!
        Email me and I will see what I can do regarding a copy.
        Wish we had an area on this site that we could upload massive files to have on file.... maybe with a new hosting site soon, I can do it for the register free of charge? See what I can do!
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

the dvd is available on mail order from Pitstop Books in Perth.

I got it for Xmas

It is awesome... what do you think of Walter Rohrls traction control Alex? or the reverse Nordschiefe lap in the snow?

For my money Rohrl is up there with the gods... an awesome driver, and from what you've described very humble... a great ambassador.

Sit back and turn the volume up very loud, and savour the Zuffenhausen symphony, with accompanyment by W Rohrl.

Justin R
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

WR has had some great drives a targa tas.

He had classic won by a country mile a few years back in a 356 Carrera GT - until it broke something minor in the gearbox on the last day.

He also drove the (1981?) SC/RS one year and was running mid field (in Modern competition) until it rained - he then made up something like 20 or 30 places in a day...

He purportedly quit rallying when they banned the 600hp+ Group B cars because it got boring...

Comment

They played this video at the R Gruppe dinner in Sonoma.

its available for sale from: http://www.gelee-deluxe.com/

they have an ebay store you can buy from, but if someone has the DVD, I'd like to get a copy as I can burn a duplicate of it.

If someone has it and could bring it along tonight to dinner, I could make copies then return it next week.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

It's POR-SHA Toby.... a 2 syllable word.

And Ryan the SCRS was 1983/84. They (Porsche, Rothmans and Prodrive) rallied them late in 83-85...with their best results coming on tarmac. The car helped bring Henri Toivenen to prominence... he was later killed in a Lancia Delta S4 at Corsica... and this crash led to the banning of Group B. The guys at prodrive thought Toivenen was the only one to really conquer the 911 in rallies.... he made it dance.

Prodrive recently bought an SCRS in Japan for their museum. I didn't get to see it the day I was there though...it had been sent to a function 30 minutes before I arrived.

Once of my all time favourites... If I ever buy another big bumper car I'll build a replica
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                X