Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maxim garage cabinets

Hi
    I've almost finished building my workshop and I'm now looking at storage, workbenches etc.

Has anyone tried Maxim cabinets? Are they any good?

Tia

Is it your permanent home workshop?

If so I reckon a better and slightly cheaper path is kitchen cabinetry. Either second hand of gumtree/ebay or new flatpacked from Bunnings/Ikea etc... You build it in properly.

First photo is my first effort at our last house (new cabinets from Bunnings) and "checkerplate" floor vinyl; the second is my underhouse garage using second hand cabinets from a decommissioned laboratory and some peg board on the walls, and a painted floor... Both gave me considerable storage for well under $500 and you can continue to 'grow' as needed.
    Attached Files
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

floors

that's great thanks John.

May i ask what floor system did you use? i make a lot of mess with body work etc. are the tiles easy to clean? would you recommend?

I was thinking about an epoxy finish.

Comment

Very impressed John.

Sometimes I think our cars live better than we do!

Comment

Roland
          remember there been discussion on epoxy floor coating systems - though John may have just used concrete paint?

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
            Roland
            remember there been discussion on epoxy floor coating systems - though John may have just used concrete paint?
            Indeed, just White Knight Paving Paint. I acid washed the floor and then pressure cleaned it. Once dry I rolled out 3 coats. It's now about 5 years old and has held up remarkably well, never lifting anywhere. It's been waterblasted clean a few times with no ill effects too. It has picked up some tyre stains as well as other contaminents (including a lot of blue overspray ), but once my car is done I'll just roll another couple of coats down again. I suspect a proper epoxy floor would be far superior to mine, but I just couldn't justify the expense over a $60 can of concrete paint...

The vinyl floor I had in Toowoomba was great, but could be damaged by heavy items. I used carpet squares or vinyl off cuts under jackstands and other long-term sitting items.
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I just finished upgrading one half of my double garage and i treated myself on a maxim cabinet & workbench. Pretty chuffed with it, just need to finish the other side.

So what have i done.
              Added insulation and added plasterboard to both walls and ceiling as this half was only cement-sheets on timber support (see pictures). Changed the single light and upgraded to two double lights. Added 220v powerpoints, added a protectionstrip to ensure opening the door carelessly doesn't cause damage, added the Maxim stuff and finally frames the posters i bought over the last 10 years.

to:

Pretty impressed with the Maxim cabinet and workbench; Unlike IKEA stuff it all fits wonderfully, instructions are clear and everything was there with exactly one spare screw (!!)

What do you all think?
              1973 911T Coupe
              1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Looks great ,what a difference!
                Jap del 75 911 lhd 3.2

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                  Is it your permanent home workshop?

If so I reckon a better and slightly cheaper path is kitchen cabinetry. Either second hand of gumtree/ebay or new flatpacked from Bunnings/Ikea etc... You build it in properly.

First photo is my first effort at our last house (new cabinets from Bunnings) and "checkerplate" floor vinyl; the second is my underhouse garage using second hand cabinets from a decommissioned laboratory and some peg board on the walls, and a painted floor... Both gave me considerable storage for well under $500 and you can continue to 'grow' as needed.
                  Very neat John. Room for a hoist? I finished up using a tough epoxy, the same one they used at a Brisbane airport fronting. It was a good investment.

Comment

I'm impressed Patrick! Those cabinets look great in the chrome

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Nice work I'm jealous!
                        Cam Arnott
                        Looking for engine #6208151
                        1970 911E (Sold)
                        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                        2 x Split Screen Kombis
                        TYP 901 Register # 78
                        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by patrick911 View Post
                          I just finished upgrading one half of my double garage and i treated myself on a maxim cabinet & workbench. Pretty chuffed with it, just need to finish the other side.

So what have i done.
                          Added insulation and added plasterboard to both walls and ceiling as this half was only cement-sheets on timber support (see pictures). Changed the single light and upgraded to two double lights. Added 220v powerpoints, added a protectionstrip to ensure opening the door carelessly doesn't cause damage, added the Maxim stuff and finally frames the posters i bought over the last 10 years.

to:

Pretty impressed with the Maxim cabinet and workbench; Unlike IKEA stuff it all fits wonderfully, instructions are clear and everything was there with exactly one spare screw (!!)

What do you all think?
                          Love it, good job
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Patrick, you will enjoy those long nights working in such a clean and well lit garage.

Where does the fridge go ?
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                            Early 911-S Registry # 690
                            R-Gruppe # 367
                            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks guys!

Phil, funny you mention that. I've seen one of those gigantic tool-cabinets at Bunnings that had radio, fridge and even a flatscreen TV!

It's quite satisfying. We bought the house partly because it had the double and an extra 3rd garage, but it was pretty much a closed off car-port, used by the previous owner to store all his gardentools.

I was wanting to put a racedeck-floor in, but when i visited a showroom the other day, i found they were plastic (i figured them to be rubber) and sounded like you walked on LEGO. Awful.

Anyone here that has them and is happy with them?
                              1973 911T Coupe
                              1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Working...
                              X