Anyone have any 944S2 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any 944S2 experience?

Having just done my first track day in the C3, and become totally addicted, I have decided that I want a car specifically for the track (the thought of punting the carrera into the wall at Sandown was too much) and as such, I am considering 944's as a cheap, fast alternative. Does anyone here have any experience with 944's? Pitfalls etc. I am all ears (just like Prince Charles)
    Mark Munro
    '69 911T (sold)
    '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
    '69 MG Midget Group S car
    TYP901 Register #196

aPorschaPart have a bit to do with 944 racing, its one of the sponsor links above. They may have a wealth of information.
    Uwe Imhoff
    TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

As Uwe suggests, there are a plethora of 944 race cars available - already built and shaken down and ideal for trackdays.

Beware the slippery slope...
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

944 Challenge race car in excellent ready to race condition. This car was built by us and maintained is whole racing life by us with no expense spared. Just had a new full body wrap in mat red, fully

No affiliation
        Tom Walstab
        Member #142
        911L Silver 1968
        911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
        928GTS Iris Blue 1995
        911 997 Targa 4S Black
        Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
        Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

968cs

...check your email Marky....

I'm biased- get yourself a well priced 968 Clubbie; CS's have the 6 speed box and Variocam engine......it might even turn out to be an astute investment in a few years......

A cheap manual 968 coupe a option, too

944S2 deliveries 1989-91 = 128 cars

968CS deliveries 1993-95 = 60 cars

968 Coupe deliveries 1992-94 = 68 cars incl Tiptronics; unknown split

Cheers

SK

Comment

Thanks all... I am trying to steer away from out-and-out racecars at this stage, as most of the 944 cup cars that seem to come up are totally unusable on the road. I have had a few chats in the past to Dennis @ aporschapart about them, and have driven some road cars in the past - they certainly seem to be an under-appreciated machine!

...and thanks for your email Stewart, as always sage advice...not sure if my budget will stretch to a 968CS, though! Will keep you posted...
            Mark Munro
            '69 911T (sold)
            TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Hi Mark,

I have had 3 x 944's.

An '89 944 S2, an 89 Turbo and an 88 944 (garden variety).

the S2 was a daily driver and and was a great car. I drove it at Sandown, Winton and Calder on club days (Maserati club - vale Jim Reark). They have plenty of torque being a 3.0 Litre and the suspension and brakes were more than the car needed.

I actually added the turbo brakes to the car after I bought it (off another 89 944 Turbo) and these were enormous and vastly improved the stopping power. the original brakes weren't bad either, but these were awesome. My brother and I used it as our recce car for rally Tasmania one year. it was great fun to drive on tassie roads.

I have seen some cheap S2's around and provided they have been serviced well (cam belts in particular), they are great cars for the money.

I agree with Stewart in that a 968 ClubSport would be a better car if you can afford it, but there arent many around.

If you can find a good 944 turbo (the 250 HP model), these are a very quick car and handle and stop very well. Very neutral handling with the front engine and rear gearbox. I think its almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution. A lot different to driving an early 911. The turbo isnt really a daily, but the S2 definitely is.

Some pics of a couple of my old cars.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by e72phil; 11-05-14, 10:16 AM.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks Phil. I have had a couple of good leads in the last 24 hours for cars off the sales radar , so will be following through tomorrow. I appreciate the thoughts on the 968cs, but I will probably be stretching myself a little too far to get into one of these, investment value notwithstanding, my intent is to get a 944 and drive the crap out of it on the track, so the investment value may be lost! Also, I am aware that the 968 would put me into a different club class to a 944 if I decide to race in the pcv series down the track, so I have that to consider as well.
                Mark Munro
                '69 911T (sold)
                TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Hi Mark,
                  I had a S2 convertable a few years ago and Rod looked after it for me -

Not much he doesn't know about 944's and racing them.
                  Cheers, Luke

Comment

Working...
                  X