Views on 997's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Views on 997's

I have been thinking about replacing our 2008 Merc ML with something smaller. The 997 is on my radar currently and there are some decent buys of low mileage cars out there.

Can I have any views or advice on these, that you guys might have?

How good are they at towing a boat ?

A 997 is certainly a long way off an ML SUV.

What's the wife think ?

or havent you told her yet ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Merv,
      I have been fortunate to have had three 997's,one mk1 and two mark 2,all GT3's though.
      Can't rate them highly enough,great cars and proven now for many years.i suspect the Carrera and turbos would be great too.the GT3 is a very usable car,contrary to its appearance

Comment

I drove Dael's 997 last year and it 'converted' me to at least think about one in the future The PDK gearbox was much better than I imagined too...
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Merv, I just took a quick look on carsales and seems there are a few around. Are you after Manual or tiptronic ?

Not sure of any mechanical issues that 997's may have had over the years, maybe ring around a few workshops including our Forum sponsors.

Some of the prices arent much more than what I paid for a 993 a few years back so I guess this is what has gotten your attention.

Probably wont get much for the ML as a trade though....
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Merv

Have you formed a view as to what the "sweet spot" is in terms of year / model?

Cheers

Comment

The real value of the ML has been with dogs to the beach on weekends. However, they can can go in my son's SUV, or in our smaller Merc. Not sure we actually 'need' a large SUV any more. Of course, my bride may disagree (no Phil I haven't told her, but that is not unusual in this family, she adds ...). I seem to feel that the 997 has taken the depreciation hit and is an underrated 911. There are some IMS/RMS issues but these are not deal breakers, in general. It just seems such a good strong performer in Carerra mode - with 3.6 or 3.8

My initial response is always manual, but the tiptronic seems to get a good rap as well. So interested in any views/experiences on that.

In terms of model the 997.2 has the later motor design without IMS but really a low mileage earlier model with strong service and maintenance record seems good too?

As you say Phil the 2008 ML CDI has not great residual, but we have had it since it was a year old and we got it cheap at the time. It is a great car and we could drive it for years I suspect.

Comment

PDK Merv, don't go for tiptronic.
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I wouldt buy one unless it had a metzger engine.
                  GT3, Turbo or ....GT2.

I reckon series 1 Turbos are great value at the moment.

Comment

I need to check - all the 997s autos were PDK?

Will check out the turbos Paul. I guess they have killer insurance.

Comment

Merv, www.rsrgarage.com.au run by Rob Rayner in Melbourne have a 2005 997S and 996 Turbo 2001 for about $94-5k each

Paul M
                      Last edited by PCM911T; 17-05-14, 12:28 PM. Reason: lowered price

Comment

Thanks Paul - will check it out. This will not be an immediate thing but, looking for the right car. I think that the history of the car and service record is critical and if it has IMS replacement.

Comment

merv
                          what about a Cayman ? i've driven neither but most press suggests if you dont need the occasional rear seats the Cayman is the better car ?
                          Craig
                          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                          1972 2.4E Targa project
                          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I had a Cayman 2.7 (2008) and it was a killer car, best handling car I have ever owned. However, the extra grunt of the 997 seems a nice idea?

Comment

Earlier and cheaper cars are Tiptronic Merv. So cheap they can be found below 993 and 964 pricing. Not sure what year PDK was available from but they ask for a premium. Dael Perlovs car John mentioned is a sensational drive.
                              Costas
                              95 993 Carrera Coupe
                              & a lesser 14 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L TDI bi turbo (Daily Drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X