Garage Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Walls

I have a free standing colourbond garage which is steel framed. With all the cold and wet weather that is around I am thinking I should insulate and line the inner walls and ceiling. Any ideas on an economical solution for the home handyman?

Thanks

Paul M

How cold does it get?
    Attached Files

Comment

Paul google SIP's

You want a membrane (sarking)and some form of insulation either bulk or rigid. Use plywood or mdf ( min 16mm) as a wall lining

Comment

Do NOT use MDF... too heavy and absorbs moisture and expands. You can use OBX which is that large "woodchip" type compressed board and paint. Otherwise I'd consider villaboard. Other ideas to be found at one of my favourite sites below

Garage design & tool discussion for the working man,,,
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

All wood products are ok if separated from moisture and perform better if sealed

I prefer ply as it is robust looks good and can be used to direct fix shelving etc if at least 16mm

Fibre cement and the like been a bit more fragile and 'Colder' with MDF PLY OSB etc having a better R value

Comment

I used bracing ply (builders use it for bracing timber frames) with insulation bats between the ply and the external wall. Sheets were 2.4m x 1.2m and were about half price of top grade ply and looks OK for a garage/shed. You'll probably need to add extra studs and noggings to fix the ply.
            Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901
            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking some type of ply (which I'll paint) and insulation bats would do the job and be light enough for me to instal by myself. Drill holes and what type of screws to use? Time to check out the hardware stores.
              Cheers

Paul M

Comment

Paul nothing fancy chipboard screws will work well in softwood ( no need to Pre drill) framing use a bit of adhesive also. HWD might require a more substantial screw and or Pre drill. - alternate loan or hire a nail gun

Comment

What is this 'cold' that you lot keep talking about
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

paul this type of product gives you a moisture barrier and insulation in one. Can also be retrofittted
                    Kingspan Insulation is Australia’s top trusted manufacturer of innovative ultra-thin flexible insulation and high performance rigid insulation board products.

Comment

Thanks Michel, looks pretty high tech.

Comment

They will live in the deep South Cam.

Comment

Working...
                        X