Bucket List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucket List

One of the reasons I wont be able to attend this Sunday's run in Melbourne is because I am up in Sydney attending to some business with an Italian.

At the risk of being excommunicated from this group I have crossed off another item from my personal Bucket List (surely you have all seen the movie ?). Have I crossed over to the Dark Side ?

I now own a 2001 360 F1 Modena - a car I have long admired and one of the best Ferraris ever made. After driving it in Sydney traffic today, I can attest it really is able to be daily driven.

I will be driving it home this coming Sunday/Monday through some interesting roads in the southern highlands and beyond. Weather depending, I may come over the Snowy Mountains Highway on that epic piece of road that a few of us drove last may on the way up to rennsport. Cant come down the Alpine Way because the ski season officially starts this weekend and you MUST carry chains from now on. Yeah right - in a Ferrari ?

The difference will be that I now have 400HP available vs the 200 I had in the 911E. It will be hard to maintain a legal speed and its a double demerit points weekend too. But I will be a good boy and just enjoy the driving and getting to know the car. The F1 gearbox (flappy paddles) takes a little to get used to but I am sure the open road will bring it into its own and once the engine is past 4000 rpm, the exhaust valves open to give that classic Ferrari engine sound. Exhaust is standard (not a TUBI) and think I will stay with it for now.

I have removed the 20" wheels it had fitted and gone back to original 18" wheels and tires for the long drive home. I was concerned about getting a flat on the 25 profile tyres with no spare. I have a loan of an 18" wheel which surprisingly fits into the front trunk along with tools and a jack the previous owner has kindly loaned me.

Will take some pics and have the Gopro along so hopefully its a great trip. weather looks pretty bad though so fingers crossed.

I thought about driving straight home tomorrow or Saturday then turning up on Sunday at Macca's in it. But thats a bit rude I think.

Oh and the colour is Grigio Alloy, for those asking. Wasnt interested in a red one sorry.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by e72phil; 15-06-14, 06:45 AM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Congratulations on your new ride Phil! It looks fantastic.
    I see you wasted no time in adding it to your already extensive car list...

Comment

Congratulations Phil!

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Beautiful to say the least.
        Azzuro California is on my list for my car. Apparently Porsche did Azzuro on their 50th anniversary car. Although it is a different colour to the original Ferrari version. Can't wait to see some more pics in the sun.
        Enjoy your drive you lucky bugger.
        I thought a bucket list was for someone who is sick and on the final countdown. Although we are all technically counting down the days!!!

Comment

That's a ripper!
          Congratulations.
          Can I have a go

Comment

Originally posted by TYP 901 View Post
            That's a ripper!
            Congratulations.
            Can I have a go
            Yes I imagine I will be getting lots of those requests.

However, unless you are a named driver on the policy, there is no insurance cover, sorry.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
              Enjoy your drive you lucky bugger.
              Luck had nothing to do with it.

More like years and years of hard work and a lot of risk and 12 hr days.

I feel like I earned it.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Well done Phil, it's a beauty and well deserved!

Please ensure you drive it to work next week

I had an F355 with paddles which was ****e, but the 360 is a legend.
                Safe travels!

Comment

Ps. Sh ite was auto censored

Comment

Thanks Sal, will be happy to take you for a ride next week when you visit the office. What made you unhappy about the 355 ?

Carl Jones, a member of this Forum, has been extremely helpful with his extensive knowledge of Ferraris. Its interesting getting into a new marque where you find the same small group of knowledgeable people looking after this fine machinery.

However, even after this short association with the car, I can see that Porsche really are a lot more useable on a daily basis and you can get in them and go at any time.

This car is more of a special ride that you use sparingly, but appreciate the experience every time. Like an exotic mistress you only see once in a while.

I pick up the car this morning (officially) and then had out west to do some business. I am thinking about visiting the NSW Police Traffic patrol guys just to see their reaction. We have never done business with them as they are firmly entrenched with our opposition. Their chief inspector has a 68 Mustang and is into cars. I like stirring him up though.

I am sure I will have some fun in this car, which is the whole reason I bought it.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Great looking car, Phil. Enjoy the drive back to Melbourne...
                      Damian Royce
                      TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Great car Phil. And also great that you're planning on using it. Mate of mine up here bought himself a new 599 Fiorano for Christmas and to be honest he hasn't been able to use it much. I have offered to help of course!

I'm still looking for my 997 ...

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                          Luck had nothing to do with it.

More like years and years of hard work and a lot of risk and 12 hr days.

I feel like I earned it.

I guess I'm going to have to rely on luck then.
                          Well done Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

You've bought the correct one. The best colour too!

My problem was A, it was an early F1 paddle shift which behaved totally erratically and B, it was in Singapore I owned it - not a great driving city... And C, I had come out of a 997 which was bulletproof.

See you soon. Again, drive carefully, enjoy!

Comment

Ok

Comment

Working...
                              X