VW Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW Scam

Some years ago VW told me the air mass meter needed to be regularly changed. It's easy to tell when something is wrong with it because fuel consumption doubles and the car doesn't run smoothly at all. Twice I have changed it over for about $450 at a time.

I googled the cost of one and searched on youtube how to change it over and all the forums were indicating these things never really fail, they just get dirty and merely need a clean with isopropyl alcohol [$7 at Bunnings]. 30 min job. I did it during the half time break of the grand final. Not only did I save a bit of cash, but the my team won the grand final. Win win.

VW also fixed the air mass meter with special screws which need the unique tool, you guessed it, available from VW! I used pliers and created an edge for easy removal next time. What a scam.
    Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Originally posted by Stuttgart View Post
    Some years ago VW told me the air mass meter needed to be regularly changed.

VW also fixed the air mass meter with special screws which need the unique tool, you guessed it, available from VW! I used pliers and created an edge for easy removal next time. What a scam.
    Hey Paul,

who told you to replace? Volkswagen as a company or the franchise you choose to frequent?
    No one with a decent sense of customer service would suggest a MAF to be a regularly changed item like an air filter?

Are you using K&N or other re-usable air filters that require the cotton to be oiled and some people tend to drench to work?

I found on my 928 S4 that this can cause issues with the MAF. But mind you that was on a 25 year old car.

Those TORX or other security insert bits are easily sourced at Masters or Bunnings for under $10 for a set?

https://www.masters.com.au/product/1...iver-set-mixed
    Last edited by KDF; 29-09-14, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X