No announcement yet.

GPS tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cyclops sound pretty convenient with the proximity signal John. Are they easy to install on the car?

If thieves are serious enough to have a flatbed ... then we should have more security. These are old Porsches and we should not need garage cameras, GPS tracking and so on. Such is life.

Comment

Hi Merv

Yes the proximity system is great. I keep a single dongle on my keyring that requires no batteries. A spare dongle is kept at home and the system still allows a PIN override.

There is a pick-up coil behind the dash senses the dongle and disarms the 'anti-start'. The anti-start can be anything you chose... The immobiliser has 3 circuits to chose from or all 3 if you want. Ignition, battery cut-off solenoid, fuel pump - all depends on your car and what you want. I won't post what mine does

I've installed it myself - easy enough with the loom out during restoration. I do recommend that some thought go towards how you set it up as, no matter how good these things are, they are still the number one cause of electrical faults and breakdowns... You need to compromise on how 'deep' you imbed the immobiliser with a view to being able to circumvent failure when you most need the car!

My view is that an immobiliser is there to thwart the average d!ckhead looking for a joy-ride. A low-jack is there to recover the car, and insurance is for recovering after professionals take your car, or a joyrider gets lucky

Opinion amongst police I know and insurers is that old euro classics such as ours have hit the "difficult to move" point. You can steal them easy enough, but you can't rebirth them easily or at all. Stripping them for parts is close to pointless as the market for parts is small and keen with knowledgable buyers. Overseas distribution is not worth the effort from Australia. The biggest risk relating to theft is a joyrider and a tin of petrol...
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks for the comprehensive description John. I will get one. I had immobiliser (Mongoose) on my last car and it was no end of trouble for an otherwise sound electrical system. Eventually removed.

I already have a cut off from one of the various the MSD options on this issue. Two or more is better than one!

Comment

Saw this today... http://techiefans.com/how-to-track-y...d=11k36614x92a

No idea of whether it's quality or not. But the price seems reasonable.
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

bought a couple for my wife... utter rubbish.

concept is really good though. going to wait until they're onto version 5 or 6 before i buy in again.
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I had The Tile for the last year. Same thing and it helps find stuff around the house but beyond that ...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

But I did find my wallet under the car seat!

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                    I had The Tile for the last year. Same thing and it helps find stuff around the house but beyond that ...
                    Yeah, a friend has the tile and says it works well - but for wallet and keys... Not sure on a car!
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                    X