Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Driver... what would you buy?

Hi All,

Looking to replace my wife's daily driver which is currently a Volvo XC60. This car is also used as the general family car on weekends, road trips, etc as there is not a lot of enthusiasm by all get into my daily driver .

The XC60 is serving us well. Have used it on multiple trips between Adelaide and Melbourne and elsewhere. Also handles day to day driving around town very well. Particularly fond of the D5. Only real complaint is that it is structurally safe... well more specifically that the combination of the A pillar and the mirror creates a blind spot that can hide a semi trailer.

The main reason for the change over is towing capacity. The XC60 is limited to 2000kg and 150kg ball weight.

So what we would like in a replacement...

- Suitable as a daily driver around town, there may be some resistance if it is perceived as too 'truck like'
    - Comfortable for long road trips
    - Diesel
    - Minimum towing capacity of 2500kg / 200kg ball weight
    - Under 1900mm height (so it can get into the garage)
    - We are partial but not fixated on the SUV format.

Budget is 'around' $80k. Happy to have had somebody else taken the initial depreciation hit so something one to two years old works. Also happy to go new with a brand that is willing to negotiate (Volvo discounted 12%).

So what would you buy?

Thanks,

yes please

Not sure about towing - edit 2100/750 - but yes please........
    Last edited by 1st; 13-02-15, 10:37 AM.

Comment

If it was me an Amarok, but for you a Prado or a 200 Series Cruiser. I think you are in 4wd territory with that sort of towing capacity requirement
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Dirk
        I have a Touareg V6 TDI 4xMotion and for me it's perfect for all the reasons you list.
        Great fuel economy and very quick. 8-speed tiptronic transmission.....definitely not truck-like!!
        Towing capacity 3500kg and tow bar load 280kg........apparently, with the Cayenne, one of the best tow vehicles on the market (air suspension)
        I was very lucky and purchased mine privately for $78,000, 1 year old, 6300km, perfect cond. (new price with my options is around $95,000)
        Best car I've ever driven.
        Just had 25k service - cost $330
        The only thing I object to is that it has a space saver spare - not really practical or sensible for a genuine 4wd. However, not really a problem if you don't go off-road. Anyway, I've kept my Landcruiser for off-roading and towing - (haven't fitted a towbar to the Touareg yet)

New prices:
        V6 150 TDI = $70,000 on road
        V6 180 TDI = $87.000
        V6 TDI 4xMotion = $92,000

The brochure is very comprehensive and the options seem endless
        Test drive one, you'll love it.

I know others in the club have Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q5, Mazda etc and all will have preference for their cars - so test drive them all.
        Last edited by MrUpwey; 13-02-15, 10:54 AM.
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Originally posted by 1st View Post
          http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/resu...akemodel&cpw=1

Not sure about towing - edit 2100/750 - but yes please........
          That is good bang for buck. 2100kg would probably serve my purpose, but the 75kg tow ball weight is going to be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MrUpwey View Post
            Dirk
            I have a Touareg V6 TDI 4xMotion and for me it's perfect for all the reasons you list.
            Great fuel economy and very quick. 8-speed tiptronic transmission.....definitely not truck-like!!
            Towing capacity 3500kg and tow bar load 280kg........apparently, with the Cayenne, one of the best tow vehicles on the market (air suspension)
            I was very lucky and purchased mine privately for $78,000, 1 year old, 6300km, perfect cond. (new price with my options is around $95,000)
            Best car I've ever driven.
            Just had 25k service - cost $330
            The only thing I object to is that it has a space saver spare - not really practical or sensible for a genuine 4wd. However, not really a problem if you don't go off-road. Anyway, I've kept my Landcruiser for off-roading and towing - (haven't fitted a towbar to the Touareg yet)

New prices:
            V6 150 TDI = $70,000 on road
            V6 180 TDI = $87.000
            V6 TDI 4xMotion = $92,000

The brochure is very comprehensive and the options seem endless
            Test drive one, you'll love it.

I know others in the club have Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q5, Mazda etc and all will have preference for their cars - so test drive them all.
            Peter,

The Touareg certainly did stand out as very well featured for the price when compared to the other European counterparts. Good to hear some first hand positive experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
              If it was me an Amarok, but for you a Prado or a 200 Series Cruiser. I think you are in 4wd territory with that sort of towing capacity requirement
              I wish I was man enough to make my wife drive a ute

Comment

Chicks dig utes ;-)
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I am in a similar situation, but no towing. The ML 320CDI is now 7 years since we bought it. My wife loves it but I really don't think we need another large 4WD/SUV. She has seen the Macan and wants that of course ....

I was looking at the Passat wagon but it is interesting what you guys say about the Volvo and the Touareg. Is the gearbox an issue on the Touareg, like it can be on the Passats and Golfs?

Comment

Dirk, I've been doing some similar calculations

Weirdly enough, the Jeep Grand Cherokee keeps popping up in the "new category" based on capacity (3.5t tow), followed by the Landrover Discovery, ML350 and Toureg (for me, the last three would have to be second hand).

My brother has owned the Jeep for nearly 3 years now and uses it regularly to tow his boat (on and off beach, not just ramps) and continues to rate it highly. He hasn't experienced any recall issues or had any failures. He lives in Karratha WA and has put on 90k in hot rough conditions.
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Hang out for the new Volvo XC90, super efficient high torque all four cylinder engines, exquisite interior and loaded with new tech. The US models are rated at 5291lbs/2400kg towing capacity (not sure about the ball weight), only problem could be the height. Might blow your budget a bit but new generation platform vs models that are getting very long in the tooth....

Cheers,
                      Matthew

'71 911E Coupe

Comment

Dirk, I have a Land Rover Discovery 4 that would tick all your boxes... except they are quite high, but if you don't have a roof rack on, it would be fine! It is quite large, but I drive it around town all day every day & I find it a great car. It fits an amazing amount of stuff in the back, converts to 7 seats & I find it quite economical, also.
                        Mark Munro
                        '69 911T (sold)
                        '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
                        '69 MG Midget Group S car
                        TYP901 Register #196

Comment

John, my very strong advice would be NOT to own any of the vehicles mentioned out of warranty. My wife's last 2 cars have been RR Sports both of which were sold @ 85K km's just before the extended warranty expired, and both were getting 'loose'. One had a air pump for the suspension replaced just before we sold it and I definitely would not have wanted to pay for that. A mate of mine has a 6yo ML with 140K on it and just had the auto trans rebuilt - nasty.
                          Last edited by Paul W; 13-02-15, 04:41 PM.
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke
                          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

If I needed another family car I would have a CLS250 Estate (sorry - Shooting Break) in a heartbeat. The styling is amazing with plenty of room and the 250 diesel motor is superb. These cars were around $140K new !

I just didnt need such a large car anymore so went for the C class wagon with same motor.

What do you need to tow ?
                            Last edited by e72phil; 13-02-15, 04:48 PM.
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                            Early 911-S Registry # 690
                            R-Gruppe # 367
                            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                              If I needed another family car I would have a CLS250 Estate (sorry - Shooting Break) in a heartbeat. The styling is amazing with plenty of room and the 250 diesel motor is superb. These cars were around $140K new !
                              I had know idea they had such spectacular depreciation. That's a fair bit of car for $80k.

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                              What do you need to tow ?
                              Looking at a caravan... 2100kg and a tow ball weight of almost 180kg (which appears to be the greater challenge)

Comment

Working...
                              X