Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costs to respray?

Hi all

I have been quoted $8-10K for a bare metal respray. The quote does not include rust work. I have used the paint shop twice before, for our daily drives, and the quality seems, to my untrained eye, to be great.

Some background. Car is a 73T delivered in light yellow and was stripped back to bare metal and painted white 12 years ago. Current paint condition is not great, and the intention is to return to original colour, mirrors and aerial, and replace all the seals.

Having not done this before I am seeking advice on the best way to proceed, possible pitfalls, some 'real' cost estimates, and anything else that comes to mind.

Cheers
    Adam

i would think that pretty cheap ?

these days i would have thought $10- 15 to strip, prep and paint a no issues outer shell, engine and boot areas and dash.

easliy double if you run in to issues.
    Craig
    12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
    1972 2.4E Targa project
    1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Seems a low/ish price Adam. I did the whole bit a year ago and removed all the bits that I could, and still drive the car with one seat, to the painters early one morning. It was then dismantled completely and stripped back to the metal. Now there are always some bits that will need repair. Mine surprisingly revealed no rust but on the engine lid and the RH front fender there was some minor denting and a man with a small hammer sat there for almost 2 days tapping away until he was happy (old fashioned German guy with high standards who recoiled in horror at the idea of anyone ever having used 'filler'). That added to the price. The chosen paint and process are also factors. If you go for the original Glasurit paint (as I did) and single stage, then that costs more as well. My guess would be closer to $13,000, depending on what you do yourself. It can cost much more in Sydney and Melbourne, I believe. It depends on the flow though of other business in the 'shop' and how dependent they are on repairs from car and insurance companies. In reality they make very little out of a full paint job like yours and much more from other, regular, contracted business.

My thread: http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4244

Comment

Agree, sounds cheap to me. Perhaps includes no metal work, just purely the prep and respray? In Sydney you would be thrilled to get away with only paying $15k

Comment

Thanks guys.

To confirm this price does not include any repairs.

Any more comments? Any risks with this approach? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again
          Adam

Comment

Hi Adam,
            Have a word with Andy at Margaret River Panel.
            Ph#97572332.
            Sean.
            Jap del 75 911 lhd 3.2

Comment

Hi Sean

Will do.

Thanks
              Adam

Comment

Adam, as I tried to suggest above, it also depends on what you are prepared to do yourself before handing it over and after it has been sprayed.

Comment

Ok. Thanks Merv.

Comment

Working...
                  X