Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay

Hey guys,

I was bidding on some parts a couple of weeks ago - suddenly two new ebay users (one had no feedback, the other had 1) jumped in and sent the price through the roof... the bargain I'd hoped for had suddenly turned into 'retail price' at a used porsche shop - I didn't want the parts that much so let them go.

I've now received an email from the vendor - the highest bidder couldn't pay etc etc. I'm not going to bother responding, so they'll probably be re-listed.

Do you think it's a scam? Was the vendor trying to bump up the price?
    I've come across newbies like these a few times, we where all newbies at some stage - but something just doesn't feel right to me.

I actually bought some wheels last year off ebay when the highest bidder didn't go through with the deal (I was the second highest bidder), but he had a number of transactions with good feedback... and they where a bargain!

Thoughts?
    I think they're just trying to bump up the price - but I'm a little dodgy so would think that

Possibilities:

1. The email is NOT from the vendor but from a scammer who is trying to phish you - this is why eBay says never to do transactions like these. The seller can actually cancel the high bidder's bid and make you the next highest bidder the winner within eBay so it is all legit - not sure why the seller hasn't done this.

2. The seller was shill bidding and now regrets it and wants to sell to you. Again, seems dodgy.

3. The seller is telling the truth.

Depends on how much you trust the seller. I would personally get the person to relist the item with a Buy It Now price at your previous bid, get him to email you, and then you can BIN the item, so you can do the transaction through eBay. I've done that before.

Comment

Sounds like a usual ebay scam from a nasty seller. Many sellers have multiple ebay identities used ot run up prices. had it happen to me once, I reported it to ebay and they shut down the seller for a couple of months.

I suggest you use a program like Stealth Bid which allows oyu to set a price youre willing to pay whislt not alerting the seller that you are a bidder. that way they dont know you're out thre and cant run up the price where ou are effectivley bidding against yourself.

If you sell stuff via ebay, you know you can see how many are watching the itme as well as how many bids are placed. But there can be many more other lurking you dont even know about.

Always pays to be veyr careful and have an upper limit on ebay , remember, just wait another 2 weks and that special deal will come up again. Set up frequent searches in the "My Ebay" seciton to automaticlaly alert you when stuff gets listed.

Hope this helps.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks guys... I thought it was a little dodgy. I guess they can always re-list the item if it's legit.

Comment

"but I'm a little dodgy so would think that "

a little? yeah right...

Comment

oops, forgot the smiley face thing...

Comment

uh huh...
              I can always count on you.

Comment

Working...
              X