X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

993 Auto??

crazy thought for the day (right up there with a $20k cayenne):

How about a 993 auto for $75k?

Would it be easier to get past the finance committee as auto would be easier for the finance committee to drive)? not as much fun?

assume not as collectable as a manual, but should still increase in value from here?

(this was followed by the second crazy thought of trading the green one for a low km 6sp manual 993 (in the isle right next to the hens teeth)... )

Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Richard

Hard to go wrong if Clair/Claire is happy
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Given I know of a 993TT in black with 130,000kms that sold north of $250k aud this week, that auto seems good buying.

Not sure if anyone here has a 993 tip they can talk to?
      Jeff Garvey
      1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Richard, funny you should bring up the subject of acquiring a 993 6 spd.

I just bought this one below yesterday. Its a 1997 Carrera 2S 6 spd with sunroof, AC and factory sports seats.

Dave Belford at Classic Road & Track helped me source this one which never made it to the open market. This is the best way to buy rare cars and I recommend anyone in the market give Dave a call as he knows where a lot of interesting cars are plus has some interesting cars in his warehouse and is expecting another early 901 car soon. Cant say too much about it and I will let Dave or Mark reveal it when its ready to show.

These guys turn up some amazing cars because they keep their ear very close to the ground and talk to a lot of car guys like us and can be very helpful when someone is hunting down a particular car.

Darren at Auto Coupe (now the proud new owner since Phil H retired) was also extremely helpful as his knowledge of 993's is excellent and he went straight to the so-called 'problem' areas and gave it a clean bill of health.

And it will surprise many to know its a UK delivered car owned by some Aussie merchant bankers but very sparingly used. It has sat undercover through many winters and hardly used as evidenced by the very clean undersides. The level of corrosion is similar to what you would see on an Aussie cars and is minimal. So much for shunning UK cars !

It shows its worthwhile checking out prospective purchases thoroughly and not having too many preconceived notions that UK cars are bad news.

Dave and I were both surprised how well this car drove, especially since I used to own a 94 993 manual and knew the cars well. Its very tight.

On the point of Tiptronics, most of the 97 993 Cs's that came to Oz were tippers and 6 speeds are rare indeed. So I was very happy to snare one to enjoy.

Its a different car altogether than the F360 but far easier to live with on a daily basis. Will bring it to a run soon but seems Clydes next run date conflicts with a Sydney trip I already have planned.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by e72phil; 08-07-15, 08:54 AM.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Looks like plenty of support for 993.

For what it's worth the 993 manual is also very easy to live with. My wife rarely drives the 71s but will drive the 993 more readily.

Well done Phil, nice car.
          Jeff Garvey
          1971 911s (needs resto)

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
            crazy thought for the day (right up there with a $20k cayenne):

How about a 993 auto for $75k?

Would it be easier to get past the finance committee as auto would be easier for the finance committee to drive)? not as much fun?

assume not as collectable as a manual, but should still increase in value from here?

(this was followed by the second crazy thought of trading the green one for a low km 6sp manual 993 (in the isle right next to the hens teeth)... )

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-3162571/?Cr=0
            So Richard, is the 993 for you as a daily driver as I doubt you would be replacing the family wagon, would you ? There were plenty of 993 tippers sold so not sure how well they will appreciate so it depends what you want the car for - investment potential or a driver. As Clyde says, your wife may actually enjoy driving it too if its an auto. I know Sheryl loved to drive my 993 manual and she doesnt know about this new car yet. She arrives home from the USA this Friday and will see it at the airport. (note: you can actually fit a suitcase in the back but dont try that with a Ferrari !
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Richard,

I have been using a manual 993 as a daily driver for the last ten years & it's the most reliable car I ever owned. It has 200,000+ km & a recent leak down test showed it to be in rude health. The service costs aren't high, they are a joy to drive & appreciating in value so what's not to like ?

I have also owned two tippers & while they won't appreciate as quickly they are very reliable & enjoyable cars. I wouldn't want to drive one on a track but the tipper is perfectly fine for a blast around the mountains & great to drive around town. The 993 tipper may well be the 911E sport of the future....ha ha

I say go for it.....IMHO you will never regret a good 993 in any form !! I have just retired mine as a daily drive but that is more to do with growing kids than reliability or enjoyment.....

Hope that helps....

Cheers
              Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
              1994 993 (road car)
              1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
              1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
              PCV #528

Comment

Beautiful Car Phil.

The last of the air breathers, how can you go wrong.

I've never driven a manual........but I think the Tip 993 is a great car, Porsche really got it right.

Comment

Nice buy Phil! How many kms? (Feel like pm'ing me roughly how much you paid?)

I should get my car serviced more often - didn't even know Phil H had retired!!!

not sure this crazy idea fits in my budget at the moment, but having worked on the very early rollers, I am learning very quickly that the expert knowledge and enthusiasts for these cars are rapidly dying. therefore values are declining...

how long until 901's are in the too hard basket as well?

a tip would probably be more acceptable to Claire... - with the green car as the really fun 'getting back to basics'. still a 'fun' car - not a daily.

my ideal would be a manual - but probably have to give something up if i want to consume both spots in the garage with porsches (mazda in the driveway and territory in the street)...
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Garvs View Post
                    Given I know of a 993TT in black with 130,000kms that sold north of $250k aud this week, that auto seems good buying.

Not sure if anyone here has a 993 tip they can talk to?

i recently heard of a one owner 993TT with 7,000 kms in a garage ... and no, I promised I would not disclose who to anyone
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Given the massive gulf in prices between 993 manual and tiptronic cars I have wondered why no one is converting the tips to manuals? Yes it messes with the originality but if you retained the auto box they could always be reunited if the market turns.
                      Cheers,
                      Matthew

'71 911E Coupe

Comment

Lots of Carrera s's have been converted already.
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Just had lunch with claire and she asked if it would be just like driving the Astra?!?

Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Seems like the 993 tips have been pulled up in value by the manuals, which have been pulled up in value by the C2S, which have been pulled up in value by the TT.

The higher values of the C2S would justify a conversion to manual. I was once quoted $25k to convert.

Nice buy Phil. You don't see too many 993 C2S's on the market, but currently there are two.

At Autohaus Hamilton we are car fanatics - Porsche fanatics to be precise. We understand that Porsche ignites a special connection with people.

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera S- classic, unique and rare car sold at Dutton Garage, Australia's premier prestige, luxury and classic car dealer.
                            Doug
                            IG: @porschepicto

Comment

Hummmm I spose it's kind of like driving an Astra

Comment

Working...
                              X