Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victorian Alps - choices

Gents,

Now for a really off topic thread. Following on from the success of my snow chain question I am yet again appealing to the knowledge of our large Victorian contingent.

Having now confirmed our road trip to Melbourne next week we will be heading to the snow for a couple of days either mid or late week... hopefully after the blizzard!

Looking for some suggestions on where to go and stay as this is not an area we are familiar with. After a picturesque alpine experience, NOT looking to ski/snowboard, just a first snow experience (maybe some tobogganing) for my little guy (who is 3 1/2) . Would prefer to stay in some good boutique accommodation.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Dirk

Dirk, it depends on how far you want to drive. Mt Buller will be closest, 3 hrs form Melbourne and I am sure there will be on mountain accomodation available after school hols finish.

Another option is Bright where you can access Mt Hotham or Mt Buffalo for day trips but you will probably need those chains for Hotham if it blows next week like they predict.

Falls creek will offer you a great on snow holiday where you dont need to go skiing to enjoy yourself. Check out their website as I am sure accomodations will also be available there. There is lodge accomodation then all the way up to high end hotel. But its a 5 hour drive from Melbourne and about the farthest away from the city.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks Phil. Thought Falls might be a good snow holiday option, just considering if the distance is a bit much for two days.

Have you ever been / stayed at Dinner Plain?

Comment

Yes been to Dinner Plain which is a little ways past Hotham and still a longer drive. 2 days isnt a really long time considering the distance you ahve to travel.

When I was in the Ski business, I used to drive to Falls Creek every weekend to ski then drive home Sunday night. A lot of driving especially after a lot of hard skiing (I was a lot younger back then !).

How's your 3 1/2 YO going to handle the long trip ?
        sigpicPhil Lack
        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
          How's your 3 1/2 YO going to handle the long trip ?
          He's a regular for Adelaide to Melbourne road trips so should be fine. I certainly hope so as we are traveling to the US with him in October

Comment

Hi Dirk

Dinner Plain is great, a pretty purpose built town above the snow line. Great drive up through Hotham. Also has a small run ideal for the young ones.

If the weather is bad there will be a guy who can fit your chains - well worth the money !!!

Cheers
            Adam

Comment

Hi just did 3 days at falls creek with a 18 month old. The drive from Adelaide was pretty routine though I suggest you leave early to make falls in the one day. stay at the the QT or Silver Ski. weather looks for a big snow dump this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                Hi Dirk

Dinner Plain is great, a pretty purpose built town above the snow line. Great drive up through Hotham. Also has a small run ideal for the young ones.

If the weather is bad there will be a guy who can fit your chains - well worth the money !!!

Cheers
                Adam
                Hi Adam,

Did you stay there overnight? Any accommodation recommendations?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dsteel View Post
                  Hi just did 3 days at falls creek with a 18 month old. The drive from Adelaide was pretty routine though I suggest you leave early to make falls in the one day. stay at the the QT or Silver Ski. weather looks for a big snow dump this weekend.
                  Thanks dsteel. Was looking at QT, booked out... and Silver Ski very heavily booked also.

Comment

With a forecast "snowmaggedon" coming, people are quickly booking...

If you're coming in from Adelaide I agree with others that Falls or Buller are ideal for your current 'not really skiing' description and if the roads are hell on ice, you're better being closer to the low lands than Hotham.

Damn I miss skiing... The only thing that sucks about Southern Qld.
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      With a forecast "snowmaggedon" coming, people are quickly booking...

If you're coming in from Adelaide I agree with others that Falls or Buller are ideal for your current 'not really skiing' description and if the roads are hell on ice, you're better being closer to the low lands than Hotham.

Damn I miss skiing... The only thing that sucks about Southern Qld.
                      Going to spend a few days in Melbourne first. Really attracted to the idea of highlands, Dinner Plain in particular, and hoping roads won't be so bad by Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ911 View Post
                        Going to spend a few days in Melbourne first. Really attracted to the idea of highlands, Dinner Plain in particular, and hoping roads won't be so bad by Wednesday.
                        East Gippsland and Dinner Plain/Swifts Creek/Omeo/Hotham are wonderful and worth the effort. We used to own a family property in Casillis years ago and I have fond memories of Swifts Creek.

Make sure you go through Bruthen and stop at the Bullant Brewery to pick up some great local craft beers!
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                          Make sure you go through Bruthen and stop at the Bullant Brewery to pick up some great local craft beers!
                          Now this is the kind of advice I am in need of!

Comment

Dirk, if you elect to go to Dinner Plain via Omeo, its still a long drive and you will be approaching Dinner Plan from the south which is the road less traveled and if it dumps a lot of snow, your speed will be down and the trip will take hours.

Wise to check VicRoads website for road conditions to ensure the road is even open because once you commit to going that route, the alternative back via Wangaratta, Bright, Hotham will take a long time.

Probably best to go via the better quality roads up the Hume , across to Bright, up over Hotham and on to Dinner Plain. Have you booked accomodation yet ? I wouldnt hope to find something ad hoc after you arrive.
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                              Dirk, if you elect to go to Dinner Plain via Omeo, its still a long drive and you will be approaching Dinner Plan from the south which is the road less traveled and if it dumps a lot of snow, your speed will be down and the trip will take hours.

Wise to check VicRoads website for road conditions to ensure the road is even open because once you commit to going that route, the alternative back via Wangaratta, Bright, Hotham will take a long time.

Probably best to go via the better quality roads up the Hume , across to Bright, up over Hotham and on to Dinner Plain. Have you booked accomodation yet ? I wouldnt hope to find something ad hoc after you arrive.
                              Hi Dirk

I agree with Phil. The back way up from Omeo is a longer driver and can be really bad (ice) if the weather closes in as the focus is on the main road up from Bright.

In terms of accommodation just google dinner plain. We normally use the accommodation service and book a house. However accommodation is limited and there was not a lot of options when we were booking for August. Also try AIRBNB.

Good luck!

Cheers
                              Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X