Moke Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moke Ignition

Have a little project planned over the Summer, the installation of a CDI unit on the Moke and being new to the world of 4 bangers was hoping some of you would have some thoughts on the best way to tackle it.

The car is running a 1275cc recently rebuilt engine with a stock Kettering Ignition. First part of the process is to pull the distributor and have it converted to contactless by Performance Ignitions, followed by installation of a CDI for a fatter spark. The point of doing this is purely reliability and taking a level of maintenance out of keeping it.

Any thoughts on a reliable cheap CDI unit for this? Any issues to look out for?

TIA
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Isn't there a Crane kit for those engines - XR700? Optical ignition module and a small CDI.

Just looked it up - yes, Crane XR700, you can install the module into the distributor and wire it up yourself. I use one in my 69 which I have wired to trigger the Crane Fireball MSD. Cheap kit. http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...onversion-kits
    Last edited by Fishcop; 14-09-15, 10:09 AM.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

There is at least one guy on the Ausmini forums who sells this sort of thing.
      Sorry, I haven't got a direct link though.

Comment

Thanks Chris, was hoping you'd see this with your experience with minis, I'll have a look around the Ausmini site and see who's doing what.

John - I'll check out the Crane unit, which I'm pretty sure is what's installed in my 911, along with the MSD. Is it a pretty straight forward install into the distributor? Cheers
        Paul Wischer
        1969 911T
        1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Paul, I've had several minis and never had any trouble with the standard system, even in a race Cooper S. I wouldn't bother changing the standard set up, points last for years.

Paul M

Comment

Paul, I've had several minis and never had any trouble with the standard system, even in a race Cooper S. I wouldn't bother changing the standard set up, points last for years.

Paul M

Comment

Thinking I'll initially install a Accuspark electronic ignition and see how that goes. The faster switching, relative to points, will result in a slightly better spark as well as bullet proof timing. Might also go slightly warmer plugs.
              Paul Wischer
              1969 911T
              1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Matt Read is your man. The "mini man" they call him.

His number is 0407 135 656

If he doesn't know. Nobody will.

I have a brand new distributor with a pertronix unit if you need one. Just let me know.

Comment

Thanks Jim,

Dizzy looks fine so at this stage I'll play with the existing unit.

Decided not to sell the Moke?
                  Paul Wischer
                  1969 911T
                  1979 Californian Moke

Comment

I will put a for sale sign on it at the Noosa car show.......maybe.
                    I just don't drive it much.

Comment

Working...
                    X