Completely Off Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely Off Topic

And now for something completely off topic. I know there are a few 'artsy' types out there on the forum, guess that speaks to the 'form' part of the form/function attraction of old Porsches.

Proud to be supporting my brother in his endeavour to release a documentary on the life of our father. A story that starts in war torn Hungary and ends in Australia. I have heard it so many times over that it seems quite ordinary to me. To see it captured in poetry and film makes me realise otherwise. Take a look if this sort of thing interests you.

I'm probably about as far away from artsy as it gets, but I do know art when I see it, and I definitely saw it here.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
      I'm probably about as far away from artsy as it gets, but I do know art when I see it, and I definitely saw it here.
      My brother definitely got more than his fair share of the artistic genes. Thanks for your support Chris - much appreciated!

Comment

Great work Dirk and worthy of high praise. I will circulate it among the ADFAS crowd, if that is OK.

I have done a good deal of reading about these times in books by many authors, including the German ones. It is hard to comprehend the brutality, and at times the humanity.

I was able to meet Lilly Brett a few of years ago and talk with her Dad, Max. I am sure you know their story.

Comment

Hi Merv,

Please share as much as you like, without exposure there is no campaign.

Thanks for the link. As personal and extraordinary as it is to me, what my father experienced was certainly not uncommon then nor now.

The thing that really resonates with me in the article about Lilly Brett and Max is the opportunity she had to see her father in a different context... "his life through his eyes". When I first saw the trailer for my brother's film and heard my father speak in his native tongue (which was rare at home) I was struck by who he really is and how his experiences had shaped him, and how different this is to the paradigm I had assembled as his son.

Thanks for taking a look.

Dirk

Comment

Yeah, dads have several identities, one of which is father. Languages structure memory and unless spoken, many memories can stay buried, or become unspeakable in another language. Hearing your dad speak his mother tongue must have been a strong experience for you and your brother.

Comment

Working...
            X