From Cane Toad to Cockroach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Cane Toad to Cockroach

One of those significant junctures in life has arisen for the Forcier Clan with a job offer too good to refuse...

However it seems I must move from Brisbane QLD to Port Macquarie NSW. Initially (and long term) this seems great for us; but I'm in for a short term nightmare with a start date 'sometime before xmas'. I now have a rapid requirement to pack and sell a house and moving the not inconsiderable volume of cars/tools/workshop...

Does anyone local (and I mean inner 'burbs Brisbane) have a spare secure car space for the blue 911 for a couple of months leading up to xmas? (NTG has graciously offered me space out his way, but it's a little bit of a hike if I need the car short notice). Green car will be off getting some ROPS stuff done at Promotive and then to Timp's shed for a few months. With the cars out of the way, I can get into my garage and pack/store parts/engines/gearboxes/tools.

If anyone has advice or recommendations on getting through a big move, I'm all ears
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

That is great John. Good to hear. I know how you have been waiting on this. Now it it's here. Before Christmas is a big ask, but you could so it in stages and move yourself first and family in a month or so, progressively.

Car storage - any pensioners in your street? Often they have one or no cars and for $25/week might be happy to have your car there. Knock on a few doors perhaps.

Comment

Thanks Merv. Not a bad idea on checking out the neighbours...
      John Forcier
      Restoration Saga

Comment

Tips on moving. Sell everything and buy it all again.

Good luck with the new adventure. At least the houses are a realistic price down there. Top spot as well.

Comment

Hi John

Congrats for the new job.

We did WA to VIC earlier this year and were fortunate enough to have a relocation company pack and move us. We put the house up for sale which forced us to declutter before the move and used supercheapstorage who came to our house with a storage unit, which we loaded, and then they take it away! You can then access that unit if you want to add more stuff. I believe they can now ship that unit for you - a great service in this scenario.

For the cars we used Ceva and Prixcar to transport both of which need minimal notice.

Other that that do check your insurance policies to ensure that whatever you chose to do you are covered.

Good luck with the move!

Cheers
          Adam
          Last edited by AdamGill; 10-10-15, 08:54 PM. Reason: V

Comment

Thanks Adam, great advice.

We 'de-cluttered' two years ago during a previous move, so I'm hoping the benefits extend to this move We will likely have the home 'staged' and that means getting most of our crappy furniture out for 6 weeks whilst the campaign runs...

I will be footing the cost of the move in this instance (I pick up some benefits elsewhere), so will be keen to cut costs where possible.

The haul is only 6 hours so I can drive the blue car down on a weekend, and tow the green car over a weekend some time later.
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

Hi John

Congrats on the new job. I'm sorry that we are losing our 'Ozmagnus' to another state. Wish I could help with parking but I had the same problem when my wife wanted to buy a Bay Window bus recently.

I imagine things are going to be really hectic for you in the coming weeks so I don't suppose you would still be keen for a drive on the weekend of the 24/25th October?

Comment

I'm not quite sure of the rules........

but does this mean you have to barrack for the Blues???

Congrats on the job John.....

Comment

Might have to paint a car maroon John ...

Comment

John, I guess one of the criteria for you accepting the job was that you're still allowed to access the forum during working hours
                    Peter Williams #049
                    Secretary TYP901
                    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Does this new job involve spiders. snakes and other nasties ?

Or just cockroaches ?
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Congratulations John... I can drop in when I'm visiting my partner's parents who have retired up there.

I think you'll find there are a few Porsche owners up there ... but you may be unique in having the only small bumper cars.

Sadly I cannot help with garaging in Brisbane

Justin
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

john,
                          congatrulations, Port Macquarie is a really lovely place, almost perfect climate and close by some outstanding roads- Watefall Way is a bit to the north, Oxley Hwy and Thunderbolts Way perfect for exercising the cars!
                          Craig
                          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                          1972 2.4E Targa project
                          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

the drive to Walcha is on the green car's future drive list
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                            1961 356B #114700
                            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Thanks all. Yes looking forward to being there - though not the sell up and move process...

Still in environmental enforcement - though more forestry that furry critters or fish. The role steps me back from being a manager to being in the field a bit more which is just what I need. It also allows my wife to reduce her work hours which is just what she needs I think our little bloke (now 6) will see and feel the difference having more relaxed parents

I am certainly looking forward to some great driving roads, and in the same vein looking forward to perhaps setting up a more suitable workshop space for the cars We are gearing up for the cliche "sea change" and will take an income hit, but hopefully costs there let me get into something that suits all our needs.

Currently packing up my garage... I'm such a hoarder.
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X