Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing from New Zealand

Hi all

I am considering importing a car from NZ and was looking for advice from members who have been down this path.

Top of mind are:
    1. Did you get a PPI / go and inspect / both
    2. Who did you ship with (I am in Melbourne)
    3. What was the true cost landed and registered
    4. Anything you would do differently

And no, it's not a P car.

Cheers
    Adam

Adam,
    Just today I got a car delivered from NZ - an Aus delivered 71T coupé that was privately exported to NZ many years ago.
    Answers to your Qs:
    1. I got a PPI and inspected it personally. I found it easy to arrange a PPI in NZ. And flights there are generally just as cheap as Aus domestic flights so personally inspecting is affordable.
    2. I used Mainfreight. They have weekly RO-RO ships going to Aus. Mine went via Melb on its way to Brisbane. Their service was good.
    3. Total cost to ship was around $4000, and this varies with size of the vehicle. Don't forget GST is payable too...
    4. Remove anything valuable that is easily removed. Some wharfie/ship's crew ar$3hole stole the Kenwood head unit out of the car.

Comment

Thanks Scotty and congrats on the new car!

Would welcome advice from other members too.

Cheers
      Adam

Comment

Hi Adam.

I can't find the post but someone on here just bought in a LHD 1968L in from NZ ... member name was Mario something maybe?

If I find it I'll let you know - otherwise maybe someone else can remember?

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post
          Adam,
          Just today I got a car delivered from NZ - an Aus delivered 71T coupé that was privately exported to NZ many years ago.
          Answers to your Qs:
          1. I got a PPI and inspected it personally. I found it easy to arrange a PPI in NZ. And flights there are generally just as cheap as Aus domestic flights so personally inspecting is affordable.
          2. I used Mainfreight. They have weekly RO-RO ships going to Aus. Mine went via Melb on its way to Brisbane. Their service was good.
          3. Total cost to ship was around $4000, and this varies with size of the vehicle. Don't forget GST is payable too...
          4. Remove anything valuable that is easily removed. Some wharfie/ship's crew ar$3hole stole the Kenwood head unit out of the car.
          Pics please Scotty!!!

Comment

Found the thread - might have to PM him to see what he figured out in the end ...

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.

Comment

Working...
            X