Cayenne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cayenne

Prices are so cheap for a used Cayenne. Is it worth getting one.
    Has anyone got one? I know they are not everyone's taste, but as a family run around, it ticks all the boxes.

1. What are the maintenance costs
    2. What are the fuel costs
    3. Insurance costs

Most of the cheaper ones are running high km's, and I imagine they would be maintenance nightmares. From what I read service books are a must, in purchasing a used Cayenne.

Just interested in any one who owns one, on their thoughts!
    Kane Kennedy
    Typ 901 Register #204
    71 911E Metallic Green

Kane
    This topic came up about 12 mths ago. One of the memebers realized you could buy a used one for the cost of a few cases of VB and posed the exact same question. My recollection was that the final conclusion was that it was abit like diving into a pool of sharks, ie a low cost purchase with high cost ramifications. See if you can track the old thread.

Comment

Thanks Neville, will search for it. I think you might be right with the low cost purchase, high cost ramifications.
      Kane Kennedy
      Typ 901 Register #204
      71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

I miss my Cayenne Turbo :-(

Go for it, they are fantastic genuine 'Porsche quality' cars.

Mine was faultless, I had it up to about 100k on the clock without missing a beat.

Maybe I should have kept it, but throwing all my kids and motor racing crap in the back of a cab/ute made better sense.
        Tom Walstab
        Member #142
        911L Silver 1968
        911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
        928GTS Iris Blue 1995
        911 997 Targa 4S Black
        Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
        Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

Kane,

I had a base model and loved it. Certainly more expensive than a ford but cost me much less than a Range Rover I once owned. I spent about $2500 a year on maintenance and didn't find the parts stupidly expensive. If I didn't need a seven seater to accommodate four kids I would buy one again in a second....maybe a turbo !!

Cheers,
          Matt
          Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
          1994 993 (road car)
          1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
          1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
          PCV #528

Comment

Kane,

I've been contemplating a 2nd hand cayenne for a while now.

As you mentioned things like maintenance history and k's are starting points.

Below is some more detailed info one of the mechanics from Autohaus posted on another Porsche forum when a similar conversation started - super useful.

AC78, I can't speak from ownership, but as a parts supplier I can tell you that they seem to be pretty robust trucks.

They're big and heavy, but they are called upon to go - and stop - like go karts. So they use up brakes. That's just physics.

There are two wear items in the cardan shaft - a support bearing and a rubber flex disc. Both are replaceable, but replacing the support bearing is a non-trivial task. New OEM cardan shafts are available, and are a straightforward swap out.

I'm starting to see demand for front suspension arms, as the bushes get flogged out. Again, the bushes are available (although not the ball joints) and OEM replacement arms are also available. No surprise, as the oldest Cayennes are now 12 years old.

Early V8 Cayennes had plastic coolant pipes in the "valley" of the V. These pipes split and leaked water, and if not attended to at the first sign of trouble, the water caused smoke leaks in the starter. The fix is to replace the plastic pipes with the alu pipes from later V8 Cayennes. At this stage, most Cayennes will have had this upgrade carried out.

Curious to know if / what certain year models were problematic - might give Autohaus a call and speak to the mechanics again - good source of info if you have someone in your area you can call on and ask.

Comment

I can't remember all the details but when I was looking at some a couple of years ago a Porsche contact said not to buy a 2007 or earlier one as they were prone to issues which were fixed in later models. In the end we bought a new Q5
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Truly the 'Company car'. Heavily invested Touareg platform, so the VW or Audi Q7 gives you the pretty much same basic car it seems.

Comment

But they're not Porsches!!

Comment

:p. Neither are any of those other P badged trucks and water pumpers that the company sells now. :p
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

If it wasn't for those trucks and water pumpers Hugh, Porsche wouldn't probably exist or would've merged with some other auto group.
                      Peter D

TYP901# 233
                      911T Coupe 68
                      911E Targa 73
                      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

I know and completely agree peter... that is why i put the :p at both ends

However despite the best efforts of the company to remain separate and independent it hasn't stopped the company nearly disappearing into the Volkswagen group and starting to be entangled with the issues there though
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks all for your thoughts. I guess it would be smart to buy in at the highest point possible within budget, on a car that had factory stamped books, then continue with good servicing.
                          Kane Kennedy
                          Typ 901 Register #204
                          71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Just been looking and there are plenty of sub 100,000k cars at under $40 grand! Wow
                            Cam Arnott
                            Looking for engine #6208151
                            1970 911E (Sold)
                            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                            2 x Split Screen Kombis
                            TYP 901 Register # 78
                            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                            X