Car Stackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Stackers

Anyone using one of those 4 post car stacker units to keep their cars?

As I suspected, of all the houses my wife and I have looked at in Port Mac, she's fallen in love with the one least suitable to store and work on cars...

I'm trying to work out if I can make it work for both of us by using the stacker in a small double garage. The prospective house has a separate work shop away from the garage

I am prepared to have an argument, but if I can avoid it I will
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

John

How long have you been looking - 3-4 weeks? Perhaps if you keep looking you'll find something that suits the both of you....? Or not?

If you have the roof height I think they work well..... But ultimately you both need to be happy.

Good luck with it.... I'm settling into my new (to me) 3 car garage in Melbourne. My partner crossed off a number of houses because of garage... Or lack of it. She definitely a keeper!

Jr
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Yes, mine says we could move back to Brisbane and she even found a house with a 4 car garage. Nah!

John it would good to have a hoist as well perhaps? As you know, some of the low set houses can have the garage ceiling raised to accommodate a 4 post lift.

Comment

4 post stacker

Recently installed a Tufflift 4 post hoist for parking due to limited space. 996.1 Modified one part of a truss to gain extra height. GT3 underneath with Ferrari or TVR Griffith 400 on the top level. I use a Tufflift 2 poster in another garage for all maintenance tasks. Hope these attachments appear Ok.

DSCF2710.jpg

DSCF2711.jpg
        Gary P

72 911T Targa
        00 996GT3
        89 944S2 SOLD
        78 Morgan Plus 8
        TVRs X 6 (65-95)
        Reliants X 2 (64 & 69)
        85 308GTS QV
        Ducatis

Comment

I have a Tufflift, I love it, but then again I have no choice with my garage, having said that I'm building a new garage at the moment & it's being designed to suit my stacker.

I just use mine for storage and yes you can feel a bit like Dale Kerrigan getting a car out sometimes.

I raised the ceiling height to about 3.3 metres to accommodate.
          Marcus
          TYP901 Member #81
          1972 911E

Comment

Can you take out the rear wall? Add a "loft" and fit the hoist or stacker there? Any room to move sideways for a third space?

Paul M

Comment

Keep looking mate. You will find something which suits you both to a tee. My house is terrible for working on cars and it sucks the big one. So much so I may have to move. Spend some time and energy now and you can bunker in for decades to come.

Comment

Originally posted by garyp911T View Post
                Recently installed a Tufflift 4 post hoist for parking due to limited space. 996.1 Modified one part of a truss to gain extra height. GT3 underneath with Ferrari or TVR Griffith 400 on the top level. I use a Tufflift 2 poster in another garage for all maintenance tasks. Hope these attachments appear Ok.

[ATTACH]17539[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17540[/ATTACH]
                Looks like the one I need at my place. How was it delivered and installed? Did the supplier provide an installation service?
                Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

[QUOTE=garyp911T;69931]Recently installed a Tufflift 4 post hoist for parking due to limited space. 996.1 Modified one part of a truss to gain extra height. GT3 underneath with Ferrari or TVR Griffith 400 on the top level. I use a Tufflift 2 poster in another garage for all maintenance tasks. Hope these attachments appear Ok.

/QUOTE]

Hi Gary,

Off topic but is that a real green frame 750SS?

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

4 post stacker

Paul, the 4 post hoist was delivered and installed (4-5 hours labour) for an all up cost of $3900. Tuff lift have their own contract installers and I have no complaints on their service. Just need to ensure that they have 2.1 m access into garage so that they can operate the truck mounted crane.

Harry, well spotted. No it is a replica but a very good one. Built in the early 1980s with all original Ducati parts. Currently has 25 litre alloy tank but also takes the 20 litre fibreglass tank.
                    Attached Files
                    Gary P

72 911T Targa
                    00 996GT3
                    89 944S2 SOLD
                    78 Morgan Plus 8
                    TVRs X 6 (65-95)
                    Reliants X 2 (64 & 69)
                    85 308GTS QV
                    Ducatis

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice gents.

I really think the garage on the house is going to be just too small without significant modification. I have pushed back and we will wait for something else. Neither my wife or I rent very well and we are finding it very frustrating stuck in someone else's property

Gary, I also spotted the green frame in your garage. My dad took delivery of one new in the early 70s - It caused a hell of a fight in the household as he hadn't discussed it with mum We lost dad in the early 80's in road accident and the bike was sold as part of the estate - I think overseas I do recall him cursing the right-foot shift though!

I may also have to have a chat with you about your TVR I have a very soft spot for the Grantura and am thinking of chasing one down. I know the 400 was a lot of the original design shoe-horned with a V8 Do you use it much?
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

John. Had the Griffith 400 since 2004 but does not get out a lot. Purchased in the UK. Ex Win Percy 2001/2002. Have done some restoration since back in Oz. You will find that Granturas are a bit scarce and are now collectable in UK/Europe. There are a few in Oz but coveted by their owners. Some pics attached. If you do find one, they don't take up much space in the garage!
                        Attached Files
                        Gary P

72 911T Targa
                        00 996GT3
                        89 944S2 SOLD
                        78 Morgan Plus 8
                        TVRs X 6 (65-95)
                        Reliants X 2 (64 & 69)
                        85 308GTS QV
                        Ducatis

Comment

I was about to ask if the SS was a round case. Looks great!

John, nothing wrong with right foot shift, only a problem if you forget which bike you are onbut overall it works well, particularly if you want to upshift while cranked over. Getting your boot under a lever isn't always possible but tapping the lever down to upshift is.

PS keep looking for the ideal house/garage, moving is too much hassle.
                          Jeff Eelkema
                          TYP 901 #132
                          S-Reg #1431
                          69E (project)
                          various bevel Ducatis
                          60s Vespa

Comment

I know what you mean Jeff The P3 CB77 I have has a converted/reverse shift for that reason.

Gary, wonderfully eclectic collection you got going there! I followed up on a series 1 Grantura a few months ago, they are a Group Sa and FIA eligible car and the one I looked at had small racing history. I stopped once I knew we were moving from Qld to NSW. Until we have settled into our new digs/life I won't be chasing anything else. I still have two 911s to get down here yet!

But please think of me if you ever decide to let the Griffith 400 go
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

You must be missing your cars John. That and renting would not be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X