Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High end studio car photography

Evening all

A couple of months ago I got a call out of the blue (thanks to the magic of the internet) from a person representing the Shannons Sydney Classic, asking if I wanted to take a stall offering my photographic services to classic car enthusiasts.

I wasn't keen at first as I don't generally deal with the general public (typically commissioned by advertising agencies or car companies directly) but then I thought it might be worth a go as it does combine what I do for a living with my enjoyment of all things motoring.

I figured the most efficient and cost effective service I could offer to the masses would be to have their car (or bike) photographed in a dedicated eggshell car studio using 10-12 Kw of tungsten lighting as I would do for a car brand in my usual course of business. Key difference being that for advertising clients there is an awful lot of attention to detail in getting each highlight “just right”, whereas in this case it would be more of a broad strokes approach.

That said, I would only be getting through a vehicle per hour, with minor lighting tweaks to flatter the lines.

I took my E to the studio today to shoot an example of what I would be the deliverable. See pic attached.

Shot on high-end medium format digital, the image could be printed to a life size reproduction to wallpaper your garage if that’s your thing,or simply a record of your car for posterity…and that’s the sum-total of my salesmanship.

So, my question to the panel is..would you consider $500 fair value for the service? Any less and it’s no longer viable for the effort.

Keen to hear your questions and feedback gentlemen.

Thanks
    J
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tailhappy; 10-08-16, 07:43 PM.

Hi Janyon... not sure if asking your potential customer base about whether they think your pricing is fair or not will get you an unbiased answer...

Having been a commercial photographer myself for over 20 years, for me, it all comes down to working out what will be the cost of doing a day in the studio (including all your overheads, post-production etc) and working backwards from there. And determining what the rest of the market charges for a similar service - there is a few guys that do it like this, they should be your yardstick, to see what the market will bear. And will the price include prints, or will this be extra? $500 per car could quite easily become $1000 with a few prints, and might start pricing it out of the market for many.

Bit of a piece of string question, happy to chat offline if you like.

Mark Munro
    '69 911T (sold)
    '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
    '69 MG Midget Group S car
    TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Thanks Mark
      I'll contact you outside the forum.
      Cheers
      J

Comment

Working...