What to do Next??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do Next??

I have been having some first world problems, that perhaps the collective forum members can help with. What to do next? I have been toying with many, many ideas about what to do for my next set of wheels.
    one of these many ideas, has been to trade my 911T in on something a bit more modern. For example a 997 Carrera S Manual, or the likes. There are 2 reasons for this, I'm not sure how much time I have to invest in fully restoring my current 911T, and can't really afford to pay someone to do it for me.
    So, question 1, should I continue with my 911T, knowing, that if I get rid of it, I will probably never get another 901 again?
    Question 2, if I were to trade my 911T in on something newer, what do you think it would be worth in the current climate?
    The car is a US 72 911T, matching numbers, fairly original (save for wheels, front bumper, colour and a few small interior items) with limited history. Has original factory fitted AC, and a few other things, as detailed in the COA that I have.
    The floor is Open...
    Attached Files

Lyndon I had the same issue. I had the 68 911 and also a 997 Carrera manual that was low kms and superb to drive. I elected to sell the 997. It sold quickly and well.

My reasoning was that the SWB was more fun to actually drive and the 997 as an everyday car was always a bit of a concern as higher kms reduced its value and in the city the manual is a pain to live with. Up here at the SC it was fine but going through the city in Brisbane in traffic was a slog.

Seems to me that the T is money in the bank and is not losing value over what you paid and will reward any investment you made from now. Also depends on what other everyday car you have.

Comment

you're not alone. i am still toying with the concept of buying a 997GTS (probably pdk) to go with the 911T... can't help feeling that the T will continue to have a following, whilst even low volume modern 911's will suffer as soon as the move to fully electric vehicles happens.

(oh, and i am even tracking carsales for all the GTS's sold... and the prices strike me as crazy when you compare to non GTS 997s...)
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I thought i bought my dream car (993 turbo) a few years ago, then my dream car became a 901, grass is always greener..
        Mickc

65’ 912/6
        70’ 911T coupe
        00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Hi Lyndon

I would suppose the question is why did you buy the car in the first place? If those reasons don't stack up today then time to sell. Take the car for a spin, always a good way to see if you are still into her ...

From a price perspective the range maybe $70 to $120 though the open market seems very slow at the moment so would need to find the right buyer. I am sure others will have a view on this.

Cheers
          Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
            Take the car for a spin, always a good way to see if you are still into her ...

always decide to keep my car after doing that...
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
              always decide to keep my car after doing that...
              Me too

Comment

I talk to a few of the guys on and off the forum, you are no orphan in thinking about changing/adding to your collection.

I think mickc nailed it with the grass is always greener.

To me it is interesting when I look at the cars that I would buy, they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly, an example is that I had 8 Lotus cars on my watch list about 3 months ago and they all sold within a fortnight of each other.

Even cars like manual Cayman S have probably bottomed and are getting harder to find good ones.

997 Carrera S manual with Chrono pack for under $90K would be a great buy IMO.

Mind you Chris Harris prefers the standard Carrera.

We probably need more threads like this to stimulate the forum.

It has been dead lately.

Comment

True on both counts Chris. The regular 997 was the better drive for mine. And things have been quiet! Lotus Super 7?

Comment

Hi all.
                    Its certainly an interesting question with many possible options/outcomes. If you look at it as an investment (not that it ever was for me) value could be seen in an 03-04 996 GT3. A 997 GT3 would be better, but my budget couldn't stretch that far. The only problem I have in my 911T, is me. I would like it to be in perfect condition, and being a 40+year old girl, I'm not sure if it will ever get there. If I follow this path it will spend years off the road, which looses some of its charm.
                    I always wanted an early 901, my pick would be a SWB S however they where too hard to get, even when I bought mine, so I settled for the T. It then becomes more complicated from there, as I also looked at a 356A coupe and 964, all of which are nice cars. I was going to buy a 964 Carrera 4, before they became too expensive. So the point now would be, where is the best value in the current market?
                    Its always going to be nothing more than a toy, so something with little depreciation would be nice. I have never driven a 997 Carrera, so perhaps I should look there first for inspirational?

Comment

Hi Lyndon, looks like we all have thoughts of "something else more modern" but back out when it comes to selling the 901. My views are: keep the 901 you'll never get another one if you sell as they are a unique driving experience, the T is a better road car than the S; and if you look at overseas prices they will continue to gain in value; the 3.4 Carrera 996 and 7 is cheaper and has thicker cylinder walls than the S with less or no bore scoring which the S suffers from, post 2007 is better if not a GT3. I've also been tempted by Lotus Exige or Elise but they are just a modern Toyota MR2, so I've been eyeing off those and there are some nice ones for less than $15k, mostly $10k.
                      Alternatively just buy a MINI Cooper S.
                      Paul M

Comment

Working...
                      X