TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone hinted you should reduce your car collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone hinted you should reduce your car collection?

Well, something must have happened in Sydney. Check out http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/...php?auction=85

This is one man's collection of 163 cars of vastly different types and condition being auctioned on November 19. I'd like the BMW 2002 Tii - an excellent classic stablemate for a 901.

Have a look at the catalogue, and try not to swallow your chewing gum. It is almost beyond comprehension how one person could collect and store so many cars, of such variation.

Happy viewing!

Cheers
    John H

70 T

my fav is the early '80's magna...

Comment

153 cars and not one early 911 for sale - the man either has no taste or he has one or two and is not selling it/them - in which case he is very sensible
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901
      1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I want the Camira Executive!!

What a bizarre collection, there must be an interesting story behind it..
        MichaelJapp
        71E
        Typ901 #065
        EarlyS #798

Comment

I dibs the 2002 Tii too. I love those things. They were so cheap just a few years ago too.

Comment

I used to love the 2002 Beemer. Finally drove one just recently and it turned me right off them. What a weird, uncomfortable driving position, or at last the example I drove was. It was for sale at around $5000 and I always thought they would make a great little lightweight rally car, but that steering wheel position ! Yikes !

Checking thru the catalogue, this guy had 2 Bitter's ! very rare cars.

Would be a great auction to attend.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

whats the story with the 2.6 litre Alfa?

Idint know they even made one

Comment

Hi Tony
                I remember seeing a few (or couple of?) Alfa 2600s in the days when I would have killed for a GTV, even a 1750. My car in those days was a Fiat 1500 and the bank balance was about 1500 as well. So it was very much a dream in those days. The 2600 was a six, and styling was a little fussier than the rather pure lines of the old GTV. It was quite a bit larger as I recall, maybe wrongly. One good site for checking out specs of cars from various eras is carfolio.com. I haven't looked up the 2600, but will.
                And Phil - maybe the 2002 had a strange driving position, but so too did the Cooper S I suppose. Both are fun to drive, maybe buy both?

Cheers
                John H

70 T

Comment

thanks John - I am going to have a sticky tomorrow at this interesting collection. I know NOTHING about Alfas other than:

1. The GTVs have always pressed my buttons in the looks dept.
                  2. They corrode worse than early 911s, if thats possible.

Comment

Hi Tony

I wish i could have gone for a browse too. The results will probably be on the website in a few days or so. There's a good article in the current Weekend Australian on the collection, and they (rightly) say 'a lot of dross' present.The same article also talks about the mad prices for early Monaros. $220k at Shannons Sydney last week. The article will probably be on the Oz website until Monday's edition appears, not sure when they switch. Look under Business/Wealth and it is on Page 43. Later on I'll try digitising it if you are interested and you miss it. Let me know.

And yes, 1970ish Alfas rust badly. I had an '78 Alfetta 2000 which I saw a few years after I sold it and it then had fist sized holes beneath the rear window. I read somewhhere that for a few years Alfa had done a deal with an East European steel producer, and the resukt was very inferior bodies. Quite a shame, and it badly hurt a great marque.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how many of the 153 cars sell this weekend.

Regards
                    Attached Files
                    John H

70 T

Comment

Just to finish his thread off - sorry guys, some lucky(?) buyers got the Camira Exec and Magna. Results are here, in the public domain,

Bonhams and Good Man are the only austhorised installers of Deckmarster in Gold Coast and Northern Rivers. Our dockmaster installation services include new decks and re-decking or expansion of existing ones.

Interesting to see he had two Iso Rivoltas. two Bricklins, two Bitters etc etc. Makes one think that with such an unmanageable collection he had forgotten that he'd bought the first when he bought the second?
                      John H

70 T

Comment

Owned 1 series 2 1750 (1970) and 3 2000 GTV (1974 and 2 x 1975) cars before progressing to Porsches.

My 1750 (Pine Green) was an awesome car great to drive, awesome exhaust note and very very reliable but it rusted itself into the grave unfortunately.

The 2 litre cars became more plastic inside and lost that special fee in my opinion.

I restored 2 of them, one reasonably completely for my then and still now limited skills
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

interesting results for the cars that piqued my interest:

the 2002Tii went for Hammer Price: $5,750 Price IBP: $6,498

the Ford V6 Capri RS3100 3.1 litre V6 went for Hammer Price: $64,000 Price IBP: $72,320

and the rest'd 240Z was passed in

Comment

Working...
                          X