Indian Road Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Road Rules

Well, not long back from three weeks in India. Its nice to be back in the relative calm that is Australia.

I noticed that the 'road rules' or lack thereof are somewhat diofferent to ours and thought I'd share some observations with you.
    1. White lines are painted on roads for asthetic reasons only. Up to three cars can fit in one lane.
    2. You may drive the wrong way along a road provided you stay close to the footpath.
    3. You may overtake anywhere, in particular on blind corners.
    4. Do not give way to anyone on a roandabout. (If you think that someone may be about to hit you the way to avaoid it is to wave them away by waving you hand around below the level of the window.
    5. Use your horn to let the person in front of you that you are within 30cm of them. You should beep at least every 5 - 10 seconds regardless of how may cars are close to you.
    6. Overtaking in multiple goups is ok. I.e you overtake a truck while that truck overtakes another which is overtaking a donkey cart. Preferably whilst the same sort of traffic is rapidly approaching from the opposite direction.
    7. Sacred cows on the road take care of themselves and are not fussed by the approach of high speed, loud, fume belching vehicles. Nor are they fussed by traffic passing within 1-2 inches at high speed.
    8. Speed limits are not to be observed at any time.
    9. It is possible to go around a roundabout the wrong way provided there are less that 75 cars cars on the same roundabout at the time.
    10. Buses are made to carry a minimum of 2-300 people at any one time
    11. He who has the biggest car wins (not many of those)
    12. Panel damage is a fact of life, do not get upset of someone creases a panel on your brand new Tata.
    13. Pedestrians should walk on the roads at night, despite the fact that two million cars are zooming within 2 inches of them and the road has no lighting. Footpaths are to be avoided at all costs no matter how good they are.
    14. Mopeds & scooters are family transport and can carry up to 6 people provided they are not all adults.
    I'm sure there's more that I can't remember at the moment....What an interesting and amazing place India is...

That said, I did not see a single Porsche the whole time we were there. I think I'd be too scared to drive one there if I lived there...!

We are lucky to have the space, quality of life and sane roads that Australia offers....

Oh and beer appears to be cheaper in Singapore than it was 10 years ago!!!

We are the lucky country. Happy New Year to you all.
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Oh and Gulf Oil / Indian Oil which appear to be one and the same are big in India....
    Attached Files
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Compared to the countries I've visited (about 20) Australia has the best mannered drivers.

Comment

Working...
      X