A.O.M.C. Delegates Meeting 26/8/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.O.M.C. Delegates Meeting 26/8/2017

Hello All. Here's the report from the last A.O.M.C. Delegates meeting 26/8/2017.

A.O.M.C. Delegates Meeting August 26, 2017
    Darnum Memorial Hall,
    Cropley Street,
    Darnum, Victoria

Present:

Carl Jones
    Representing:
    The Australian Typ 901 Register.
    Mercedes-Benz Club of Victoria Inc.

A.O.M.C. President Keith Mortimer opened the meeting at 1:00pm and introduced three guests after minor formalities:

John Lewis and Drew Stephenson from Vic Roads. Andrew George, C.E.O. Society of Automotive Engineers.

John and Drew discussed the following:

1. Club permit issues in relation to the administration of deceased estates and transfer of permit to a beneficiary or spouse. They admitted there were serious administrative issues with the current system. From the 11/9/2017 the system will updated with regards to an information pack from Vic Roads and streamlined transfer process with regards to permit.

2. Club Permit Review Scheme. Vic Roads assured the attendees they were on "Our side" with regards to the Club Permit Scheme. The social aspects of the CPS were discussed such as:
    -The financial support of local communities through events such as a club meeting in regional areas.
    -Club donations to communities through activities such as annual meetings and displays.
    -Mental health benefits of both the participants and attendees, particularly those in regional communities. (Eg; providing an interest, or something to do, similar to a men's shed)

3. Updating of the Club permit Scheme Database. Currently, the CPS database is not part of the official Vic Roads database. For example, the Police cannot determine if a CPS permitted vehicle has a valid permit without inspecting the log book. The CPS costs approximately $2.0 million per annum to maintain and Vic Roads are looking to amalgamate the CPS vehicles into the main vehicle register, the benefits being:
    -Simpler renewals
    -Instant police I.D. (As is currently the case with a registered vehicle)
    -Reduced administration of behalf of the club
    -The ability to retain the current full registration, custom or personalised plate (As is currently the case in SA.).
    -The log book system would be retained in the event of the above however the vehicle could be indentified through a tag on the registration plate should the plates from full registration be maintained.

The cost to Vic Roads to transfer the database will be approximately the same as that for 12 months of administration, i.e. $2.0 million.

Questions from the floor:

1. Re: Filling log book in for the coming day if the driver would be driving after midnight? Currently not permitted and the advice was to pull over, stretch your legs, fill the book in for the next day at 12:01am and keep going!

2. Custom plates for CPS vehicles? Not offered due to the current computer system being incompatible with the plate ordering software as the databases are separate. This will change if the databases are amalgamated (Vic Roads preference).

3. Recent draconian activities re: Asbestos removal in personally imported vehicles. Not a Vic Roads matter as they are not responsible The responsible National body is A.Q.I.S. Note, the current regulations regarding asbestos (Or any other hazardous materials being imported) have been in place since 2003. The recent clamp down is the result of new vehicles, specifically Great Wall product from mainland China that contained asbestos in friction materials that alerted A.Q.I.S. to inspect all imported vehicles whether new or not more closely.

Andrew George, C.E.O. of the S.A.E.

Gave a very informative presentation regarding the engineering and certification required for modified vehicles, specifically hot rods and some commercial vehicles. Also discussed the role of the engineer and the documentation required for registration or permit. Discussed the V.M.A.C. (Vehicle Modification and Accreditation Certificate), regulation 257, Schedule 2 of the Road Safety Vehicles Regulations, VSB 14 and Vic Roads VS1 listing. Some Australian design rules were discussed specifically ADR 1, 2 and 3.

ADR 27C relevant from 1976 to 1985 was discussed specifically with regards to emissions testing. No test facilities now exist to enforce ADR 27C anywhere in Australia however the EPA have determined that if the vehicle emits idle hydrocarbons at 4.5% or less then it will be deemed compliant to ADR 27C. 1986 or later vehicles must pass what is known as the IM240 test which is part of ADR 37.

Questions from the floor:

Pertained to commercial vehicles regarding modifications, specifically engine changes and the issue of a corresponding "M" or Modified plate.

The meeting was closed at 2:45pm. With special thanks to the Trafalgar Truck Restorers Club who provided not only a hearty lunch but afternoon tea as well. A gold coin donation was requested and the proceeds donated to a local charity.

Carl Jones
    A.O.M.C. Delegate:
    The Australian Typ 901 Register.
    Mercedes-Benz Club of Victoria Inc.

Great report Carl, thanks for attending our our behalf and reporting to the forum. The VicRoads comments re the CPS are interesting and it would be great if they amalgamate the database into the main one with all the benefits it allows as you have listed. Let see what happens soon.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks Carl for the update. I have not seen any direction that you cannot fill out the log book "in advance". I have done this when travelling to Phillip Island for the Historic Races weekend. The one time I was checked by a police officer, I explained that I would be driving each day of the weekend, no problems for him. I think the VicRoads answer is wrong, what if you have an accident at 1205am!
      Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
        Great report Carl, thanks for attending our our behalf and reporting to the forum. The VicRoads comments re the CPS are interesting and it would be great if they amalgamate the database into the main one with all the benefits it allows as you have listed. Let see what happens soon.
        Indeed Phil let us hope!

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
          Thanks Carl for the update. I have not seen any direction that you cannot fill out the log book "in advance". I have done this when travelling to Phillip Island for the Historic Races weekend. The one time I was checked by a police officer, I explained that I would be driving each day of the weekend, no problems for him. I think the VicRoads answer is wrong, what if you have an accident at 1205am!
          Paul M
          Hi Paul,

Uunder the current legislation it is not permitted to fill the log book out in advance. If you have an accident at any time with the log book unfilled, the car is technically not being operated under a permit and therefore unregistered. This was discussed ad finitum at the meeting.

CJ

Comment

Thanks for your report Carl - very informative but will generate much discussion. I may list CPS discussion at our AGM next month. (AGM notice will be posted within the next week after the venue is confirmed)

Peter Williams
            Secretary
            Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901
            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Paul M
              Hi Paul, here it is officially:

Regulation 157(6) of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 does not allow permit holders to complete or partially complete entries in a logbook which relate to a future day. This means, no entry can be made relating to a day other than the current day of use. Completion of a future date entry (full entry or partial) constitutes a breach of the logbook obligations established by Regulation 157 and could be considered a breach of club permit conditions (Regulation 157A). It should be noted that if a breach of logbook conditions occurs, VicRoads could suspend the permit (reg. 157E (b) on the grounds that a log book condition has not been complied with.

Comment

Thanks Carl, didn't mean to cause you any grief.
                Paul M

Comment

Thanks Carl, didn't mean to cause you any grief.
                  Paul M
                  No of course not, just want you to be armed with the correct info. BTW, the Victorian Police absolutely detest the CPS for the reason they cannot access the Vic Roads database in a timely manner (ie on the side of the road)

Comment

Great info Carl - thanks.....

I've been guilty of filling it forward if I am on a 3 day run. eg to Sydney to Rennsport etc.

I have a run in the Alps in early October so will follow your sage advice.

Now I know - do it each day...

JR
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                    1961 356B #114700
                    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Justin R, I think that if you start to quote section 157(6) of the Victorian Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 to any copper on the side of the road, his head would explode. In fairness I have to say that I have found most Highway Patrol cops are rev heads themselves and don't want, or to cause, any grief as long as you are not being a complete idiot.
                      Paul M

Comment

Correct. I work on the basis that I have the t's crossed and the i's dotted. Im polite if Mr Plod is polite. If they are not, I take several deep breaths.

Mind you I have come across some Mr Attitude police - men in the middle of the week on the old Pacific Highway north of Sydney.

We had one (I was with an old friend in an ST replica) . He went to town on the car, and I had to summon all of my patience to answer his questions (the owner by this point had removed himself from the conversation because he was going to end up in a paddy wagon otherwise) . These REPA harness are illegal. These TB15 tyres don't have enough tread etc. etc. That front license plate is illegal, too small, incorrectly positioned etc.

I have also come across some great ones. Enthusiasts to the core.

JR
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Great discussion guys I’ve learnt a lot
                          I too have been guilty of filling the log book forward for weekends down the beach
                          my pa needs to lift their game fancy not telling me that !

Comment

Working...
                          X