Luftgekuhlt 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftgekuhlt 5

The magnificent event that John held on the weekend has motivated Costas and I (& another non typ901 mate) and we have booked a some cheap tickets to LA for Luftgekuhlt 5 in late April. Qantas have a few ripper fares at the moment. We are leaving Friday morning coming home Monday night. Will find a cheap motel and eat In/Out burgers and enjoy a another great day checking out some air cooled art. Going to be brilliant.

Hope of few more of you lads feel the urge. See you there!

regards
    AV
    Andrew Vidler

72T

Ooh. Will check my calendar. I might come too.
    John Orchard
    356 B (T6) 1963
    911 2.0L 1965 SWB (sold)
    912 1966 SWB (sold)
    930 Turbo 1984
    997 Carrera S 2005

Typ 901 register #236

Comment

You need to start making connections with the LA 901 gang so you are all organised to get there plus any pre-event gatherings. Happy yo connect you with Ray Crawford, the SoCal R Gruppe meister who always attends these gatherings.

You should also connect with Chuck Miller - our local TYP901 member as well as Kent Moore. I assume you are renting a car to get around ?

Also the organisers tend to keep the location a secret until close to the event. If you are flying into LAX arriving early Friday morning, I suggest you head a little north up PCH to Venice Blvd and grab a great coffee at Deus ex Machina where they will probably also have some kool Luftgekult T shirts available. When i flew in last year we dropped by and grabbed a copy of the Luftgekult book.

I had been planning to fly thru LA arou;nd this time but am heading across to Europe for some work and a Technoclassica visit to Essen.

sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

The venue for LUFT 5 has been announced:

Family-owned and operated in Los Angeles since 1884, Ganahl Lumber Company is the oldest lumberyard in all of California, and their new South Bay location is a perfect location to pay homage to some surprising shared history between the lumber industry and Porsche.

According to the website, if you dont arrive in an air-cooled Porsche, they wont let you park. So Andrew and Costas, you need to organise a ride there as your rental car wont cut it.

I assume you are packed and ready to head off next week ? Have a great trip although I dont envy the trans-pacific flts and the accompanying jetlag. And I guess since you got some discounted tickets, even will zillions of FFlyer pts, there are no upgrade possibilities ?
        sigpicPhil Lack
        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Just heard from Kent Moore in California that Thorsten Klein and his wife, Doris will attend Luft 5 (flying in from Stuttgart). Andrew and Costas, you should try to meet this guy who is an interior designer at Porsche. He is best mates with Ray Crawford so if you are hooking up with Ray sometime on the weekend, hopefully you meet Thorsten. Please say Hi from Phil in Australia !

And try to post some pics please.
          Last edited by e72phil; 12-04-18, 02:03 PM.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

All sorted Phil. Big weekend coming up
            Friday- arrive LA 8am, Petersen museum (the Porsche effect), In out burger, pelican parts order pick up, in out burger
            Saturday - RGruppe coffee and cars and Karts, in out burger, PCELA simulators in the afternoon, in out burger
            Sunday - Lufte 5 , in out burger
            Monday - LA Gun Club, in out burger, fly home

should be great.
            Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

Would love to be going with you.
              Not sure I would have the stamina for the “in out” visits though

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vidler View Post
                All sorted Phil. Big weekend coming up
                Friday- arrive LA 8am, Petersen museum (the Porsche effect), In out burger, pelican parts order pick up, in out burger
                Saturday - RGruppe coffee and cars and Karts, in out burger, PCELA simulators in the afternoon, in out burger
                Sunday - Lufte 5 , in out burger
                Monday - LA Gun Club, in out burger, fly home

should be great.
                Hi Andrew, sounds like a fun packed weekend. After you arrive early Fri morning you could swing north on PCH up to Venice Blvd and get your caffeine hit at Deus ex Machine cafe (cnr Venice and PCH) and possibly some Luftgekult T shirts then continue east on Venice till you hit S. Fairfax Ave. Turn left and then head straight on up to the Petersen Museum on Wiltshire. Not sure where the In'n'Out burgers joints are along the way but am sure you will spot them.

You should meet Thorsten and Doris at the R Gruppe get together plus many other very interesting Porsche guys. Take lot of photos please.
                I am sure the R Gruppe guys will have a better meal option for Saturday evening than the burgers. Have you planned your accomodations yet or just going to wing it ?

I will let Kent Moore know your schedule as I am sure he would like to catch up with you both and say Hi.

Safe travels.

sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Thank Phil,

I actually had Deus on the agenda just forgot to mention it in between the in out burgers.

We we are all sorted for accom and have already connected with Ray. I've got Kent's numbers so will reach out when we get there.

Have got some nice meals planned with other mates who live in LA, so won't really get to in out more than twice. Although I might fit a Costco hotdog in there somewhere! ..and some seriously good SoCal Mexican.
                  Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vidler View Post
                    in out burger, in out burger, in out burger, in out burger, in out burger.
                    Like those in the know, make sure you ask for the burgers ‘animal style’...

Comment

From all the pics posted over on ESR and Instagram the day looks like it was perfect. The event was sold out and many fans were locked out on the morning , it will be interesting to see where they hold it next year. Some estimates had 6000 people attending and the site was 16 acres in size with plenty of cars on display including R4 of the 911R prototypes - an extremely rare 911R !

I am sure AV and Costas are about to head off to LAX for their late night flight home. Am looking forward to their posts and comments once they are back home. I bet they sleep well on the trip back home after an action packed weekend.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Pics of Luft 5 venue
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Scheisse. Looks great Phil.

Comment

& what a great weekend it was for us. From the time we landed in LA, the catch up with the R Gruppe guys (who know how to drive go carts & pass on their regards), meeting Thorsten, a real gentlemen, the Petersen museum & then the show on Sunday. The event was a sell out as you know, lots of cars, maybe 500 who knows, stuff you don't see day to day, which was great. Really lots of inspiration everywhere for future work on a classic. I sensed Americans were at ease with pushing the boundaries. On show was everything from a vintage Carrera GTS, F1 racer, 908, 356's, 911's, 911R, 912's, 914's, Hot Rods and Vic Elford! Yes, Vic himself. He started the 908 which almost started a riot! The lumberyard, although further out than previous events, was a coup. Well organised, from the parking, the shuttle bus and then the actual venue's scope to be able to put on a show that big. Lots of happy enthusiasts, seriously making us welcome. Everyone had a story to tell. Conversations struck up. Well worth visiting. Post with photos to follow
                            Last edited by costass; 26-04-18, 11:17 AM.
                            Costas
                            95 993 Carrera Coupe
                            & a lesser 14 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L TDI bi turbo (Daily Drive)

Comment

More to follow from AV!
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 26 photos.
                              Last edited by costass; 25-04-18, 03:49 PM.
                              Costas
                              95 993 Carrera Coupe
                              & a lesser 14 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L TDI bi turbo (Daily Drive)

Comment

Working...
                              X