A.O.M.C. Delegates Meeting 25/8/2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.O.M.C. Delegates Meeting 25/8/2018

Meeting Notes of the August A.O.M.C. Delegates Meeting held on Saturday August 25th 2018

Vines Road Community Centre Geelong
    37-61 Vines Road
    Hamlyn Heights
    Victoria 3215

Hosts: MG Car Club Geelong

Meeting commenced at 1.30pm

There were 82 delegates in attendance representing 60 clubs

Presidents Welcome: Keith Mortimer welcomed the delegates and thanked the MG Car Club Geelong for hosting the meeting with a special thanks to the kitchen crew and delicious scones. Keith thanked Laurie Ulph and Don Collins for all their work in organising the venue and food. The MG Car Club Geelong offered delegates the opportunity of a Geelong tour in MGs following the meeting. A welcome to Dr. Norm Darwin, the guest speaker, was extended.

Apologies: Twenty two apologies.

Minutes of May’s delegates meeting: The minutes as published were true and correct moved by Keith Mortimer and seconded by Gerry Howell (Rolls Royce Owners Club).

Correspondence: Letter from Graham Keys regarding the laws restricting of non-profit clubs from making a profit.

Treasurers Report: Current cash balance is $182,775.27 representing $48,404.90 current account and $134,370.37 in term accounts. A number of membership deposits are not definable, clubs must quote the invoice number as a reference number. The annual financial report being prepared and audited for the AGM.

Presidents Report: Keith Mortimer referred to the President’s Report in August 2018 Newsletter.

The association recently received a letter expressing concern at the potential fire risk at car shows and asked that the A.O.M.C. promotes the fitting of fire extinguishers to display vehicles.

Keith stressed that CPS vehicle are not allowed to be used for financial gain. CPS vehicle can be used for non-commercial purposes. Some regional clubs are refusing to sign CPS renewals where vehicles are being used for financial gain. e.g. wedding hire vehicles.

Clubs are urged to contact VicRoads for a report on CPS vehicles listed and cross check the list against club records. Also there is a CPS process error when VicRoads counter staff neglect to tick the appropriate box allowing the vehicle not to be included on the CPS club listing.
    Comments: * Wolseley Car Club received the CPS listing from VicRoads in 3 days.
    • Another club reported 7 discrepancies.
    • Suggested club’s email VicRoads for the CPS list.
    • Keep receipts of CPS payment as proof of payment.
    • Attach photocopy of receipt to logbook.
    • Pay by EFTPOS or credit card, payment record shown on statement.

CPS Report: Reports of one set of plates being used on multiple vehicles. Email information on non-compliant CPS vehicles to VicRoads.

Window stickers: VicRoads considering not to issue CPS window stickers, cost saving.
    A show of hands indicated the vast majority of delegates supported the retention of window stickers. The current window stickers are not waterproof causing problems for open veteran and vintage owners

Electronic Logbooks: VicRoads looking at changing to an electronic logbook. A show of hands overwhelmingly supported the retention of the current printed logbook. The A.O.M.C. believes owners should be given the option and VicRoads should retain the printed logbooks as electronic logbooks will be difficult for older drivers. Around 60% of attending delegates have smart phones.

Vic Roads have sought your views around some possible changes to the administration of the CPS:
    1. Is your club in favour of dispensing with the windscreen Label? (i.e. same as fully registered cars, no windscreen sticker is provided)
    2. Does your club have a view on electronic log books - i.e. an app or similar accessed via smart phone or PC instead of the log book?

Please share your thoughts regarding the above by 20/9/2018. Your views will passed on to VicRoads via the A.O.M.C.

Car Shows: Presentation by Graeme Moody, Shows Co-ordinator.
    Graeme acknowledged and thanked Iain and Maureen Ross for their work and dedication in organising and running over 40 vehicle shows.
    British & European Motoring Show – Yarra Glen on Sunday 24th February
    Aussie Motoring Show – Yarra Glen on Sunday 31st March
    National Motoring Heritage Day – Yarra Glen on Sunday 19th May
    American Motoring Show – Akoonah Park on Saturday 23rd March

The A.O.M.C. is looking for club support for the American Motoring Show being a new venue to the show and the move to Saturday. Clubs are asked to provide two volunteers for marshaling. Volunteers will be provided with refreshments and lunch.

Engine Searches: Presentation by Philip Johnston
    Recent searches have included Holden Monaros and Toranas plus many Ford vehicles. The more unusual have been a WW ll Austin ambulance and an Austin bus fitted out as a BMC training vehicle. The bus toured Victorian BMC dealers in period. The other more unusual was a search for a Gutbrod, a German made two-stroke, 2 seater small car, 5 cars are in the system.

Guest Speaker: Dr. Norm Darwin, author of 8 books including 5 on the Australian automotive history.
    Norm spoke at some length on his recent book; “Early Australian Automotive Design 1903 – 1953”. Part of which formed his PhD thesis. Norm is one of only two Australian writers to have had a PhD conferred upon him as a result of his research into Australian Automotive History.

Close: Keith Mortimer thanked the MG Car Club Geelong for all their work and hospitality.
    News: Now available on the A.O.M.C. website, videos of the Restoration Seminar plus the Club Management Seminar notes.

Carl Jones
    A.O.M.C. Delegate
    The Australian Typ 901 Register Inc.
    Mercedes-Benz Club of Victoria Inc.

Thanks for attending and the update. I would retain the windscreen stickers and physical log book. I do not have a smart phone!
    Cheers
    Paul M

Comment

Hi Carl,

Regarding the two items that the AOMC is seeking feedback on, do we have a voice in this?
      1. Is your club in favour of dispensing with the windscreen Label? (i.e. same as fully registered cars, no windscreen sticker is provided) - the only benefit is knowing when the car rego expires, but in general I would favour removing the label. They are made of paper and horrible to remove between the years.
      2. Does your club have a view on electronic log books - i.e. an app or similar accessed via smart phone or PC instead of the log book? Support, this would be a good advancement, so long as it enabled multiple registrations to be held on the one account. It must also have the ability to retain previous records if required from say the last 5 years.

An additional request would be an easier way to pay for the permit. Getting the club to sign is still essential, however having to go into VicRoads is painful!

Regards,
      Alex

Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
        Hi Carl,

Regarding the two items that the AOMC is seeking feedback on, do we have a voice in this?
        1. Is your club in favour of dispensing with the windscreen Label? (i.e. same as fully registered cars, no windscreen sticker is provided) - the only benefit is knowing when the car rego expires, but in general I would favour removing the label. They are made of paper and horrible to remove between the years.
        2. Does your club have a view on electronic log books - i.e. an app or similar accessed via smart phone or PC instead of the log book? Support, this would be a good advancement, so long as it enabled multiple registrations to be held on the one account. It must also have the ability to retain previous records if required from say the last 5 years.

An additional request would be an easier way to pay for the permit. Getting the club to sign is still essential, however having to go into VicRoads is painful!

Regards,
        Alex
        agree to all 3 points Alex raises!!!! let's push vicroads to get into the 21st century!!!!

Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

A slightly different perspective it is a Permit Scheme not Registration and it is critical that VicRoads can confirm that it is an original signature on the renewal and that opportunities for club members to do the wrong thing by their clubs are kept to an absolute minimum otherwise it could provide VicRoads an opportunity to discontinue the scheme and we would all be penalized.

Comment

Originally posted by klasikcis View Post
            A slightly different perspective it is a Permit Scheme not Registration and it is critical that VicRoads can confirm that it is an original signature on the renewal and that opportunities for club members to do the wrong thing by their clubs are kept to an absolute minimum otherwise it could provide VicRoads an opportunity to discontinue the scheme and we would all be penalized.
            It’s a good point, but there are simple ways of managing digital signatures to the same end... which would also be easier on our club committee members.
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

But then again, i’m the guy who just can’t understand why we still do council/state/federal elections by filling in a bit of paper with a pencil.

if we trust mygov to handle our taxes, and our health records, surely we can use it to elect our officials (until their peers stab them in the back...)?!?

rant over.
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

YOU might TRUST mygov but I am not sure if you are in the majority on that one
                Hugh Hodges
                1973 E
                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

My 'smart phone' went flat on Sunday.......but my 'log book' didn't.
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

No sticker, keep logbook
                    Mark Evans
                    1966 912 5 gauge
                    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                      YOU might TRUST mygov but I am not sure if you are in the majority on that one
                      ha ha. yes, true.

ok... let's try a different comparison then... if you use internet banking, then surely it's not a leap to a club permit scheme with minimal exposure for people doing the wrong thing?

Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Alex and the gang,

Basically, VicRoads asked for some feedback, that's all. My job is to refer the suggestions to the AOMC, who will lobby VicRoads for or against!

Bear in mind, I'm 51, I am conspicuous by my youth at these meetings You can guess the response to smartphones. Stickers seemed to be even odds from the attendees.

The payment issue is actually nothing to do with VicRoads, it's a problem with privacy legislation prohibiting the card number being transported via post.

CJ

Comment

Thx Carl I can see that the AOMC lobby VicRoads. Re the ability to renew the Permit it has been my experience at VicRoads Dromana that there is a data match of the club approved signatories on file that is checked directly against the Club Stamp and signature on the authorisation each and every time. It is only after the match up that the payment is accepted.
                          Nev

Comment

Originally posted by carl888 View Post
                            Bear in mind, I'm 51, I am conspicuous by my youth at these meetings You can guess the response to smartphones.

Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                            X